U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 02:50 PM

7,672 posts, read 9,850,884 times

Advertisements

I bought some ox tail and short ribs yesterday. It wasn't badly priced (Colorado beef).

Will make it later this week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 03:10 PM

811 posts, read 719,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Well, maybe it's my coarse and uneducated taste buds talking, but unless you're talking about two radically different parts of the animal, like the liver and the brain, I always find that they taste the same. Tail is muscle, gristle and bone; any other part of the cow with a high bone-to-muscle ratio is going to taste about the same. At least to me.
Think pork chop vs. pulled pork shoulder. I'm sure you think those taste pretty different from each other and have really different applications, right? Oxtail meat has a deep richness (almost sweetness, with intense umami) and a similar texture to pulled pork, which is definitely very different from your classic steak (tenderloin, top loin, etc.). A tenderloin, though texturally really pleasant, is notorious for lacking rich flavor, unlike cuts like oxtail, flank, or rib. The structure of the muscle, as you mentioned, also really affects texture and flavor, both by its nature and by the way it's effectively prepared. You're not incorrect that there are similar flavors and textures in other cuts though. Short ribs would be a close substitute for oxtail. Of course it depends on what we're using it for, as well. You'll have to forgive many of us on this forum. We love food and so the nuances and details of each ingredient and process are important to and fun for us. We notice and enjoy those things. That's why we use this forum!

Old 07-18-2015, 03:40 PM

7,628 posts, read 14,331,310 times
Anyone never having enjoyed ox tail soup just would not understand the NEED for the RIGHT ingredient. Once you have savored it, there is NO denying it is hard to substitute the main ingredient.

Old 08-07-2018, 03:37 PM

3,044 posts, read 3,990,193 times
You rarely see "tongue" and yet it's incredible, smooth, like prime rib choice except. .but as a non promoted item, stores can ratchet UP the price, knowing that those "in the know" will pay it.

But, again......LOCATION.

Why is it SO HARD to get people to wrap around the importance of location in their posts., when it's CRITICAL TO THE ANSWER??? (FYI: I've been disciplined 3 times asking for this as an INTEGRAL COMPENENT to the persons' post) on this site.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:29 PM

3,535 posts, read 2,365,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
I don't know if they are that popular or not. I eat them as much as I can. Love, love, love them but I have noticed they have gotten super expensive for what they are. I always blame those darn people who have made what I once considered "poverty" food trendy. Maybe it's the opposite and I am the only one in love with ox tails?
Oh, back to OP's question, not sure but have you tried those marrow soup bones? They still sell those dirt cheap at the grocery store I frequent. I buy them for my dogs all the time.
Yes, oxtails have become quite trendy and that is why they are so expensive. Here, they are $12.99 a lb. and I very rarely buy them anymore, although I love a good oxtail stew.

Old 08-08-2018, 02:00 PM

37,625 posts, read 55,283,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
You rarely see "tongue" and yet it's incredible, smooth, like prime rib choice except. .but as a non promoted item, stores can ratchet UP the price, knowing that those "in the know" will pay it.

Why is it SO HARD to get people to wrap around the importance of location in their posts., when it's CRITICAL TO THE ANSWER??? (FYI: I've been disciplined 3 times asking for this as an INTEGRAL COMPENENT to the persons' post) on this site.
Why is the location important for this thread? OP is not asking where to buy cheaper, but ask for a recipe using other bones. Besides, her location is listed just next to her name.

The best bone broth uses a mix of different bones: large, nutrient-rich beef or pork bones, as well as some smaller meaty cuts so your broth has some flavor - neck, knuckles, joints, feet, and marrow bones. Shank, and short ribs add a lot of flavor to bone broth.
I like to use a mix of big beef bones (saved from roasts or begged from the butcher), meaty short ribs or oxtails, and knuckle or neck bones. Those knuckle and neck bones have a lot of collagen, which give the broth body and rich flavor. I also like to mix bones from different animals.
Roasting them first in the oven gives them best flavor and rich color for the broth. Then add water, vegetables and simmer all for hours on the stove top.
World, Europe, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:50 AM

1,217 posts, read 601,315 times
On a side note...All that broth from the beef bones is great for joint pain....bones are full of glucosamine and chondroitin. Great for arthritis.

Old 08-09-2018, 03:01 PM

479 posts, read 94,542 times
I've discovered that Asian markets sell beef and pork bones at very reasonable prices.

Old 08-12-2018, 07:31 AM

11,917 posts, read 3,576,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I guess its because there's only 1 per cow?
I have always wondered the same thing about short ribs, spare ribs, skirt and flank steak, brisket. Sure, they're flavorful, but they're all also tough as an old shoe unless you cook them right.
This is my guess, too. Same reason chicken wings have gotten so expensive. Two per bird, and who ever eats only two wings?

I have never found anything that is a true substitute for ox tails when making soup. Part of what makes them so unique is the high cartilage content. When I do use them, I always have some other meat to throw in, as well.

Old 08-12-2018, 07:38 AM

11,917 posts, read 3,576,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post

Beef tongue also makes a delicious taco filling. I have never seen it on a menu here, but used to eat it frequently. One day, I will find a good recipe and fix some, although I fear I may have to conceal the true identity of the meat from my housemate until after she has taken her first bite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes