Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 09:44 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times

Advertisements

Well we always smoke our brisket but it looks like we are having severe weather on Sunday, mom's day, so either we move the smoker (electric) into the garage or we will have to rely on the oven. The meat weighs about 81/2 lbs. Does anyone have a good recipe for doing it in the oven?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 02:59 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
My mother's recipe called for 1 envelope of Lipton onion soup mix, 1 jar or can of beef gravy, and a cup of Italian dressing. Cover the pan with heavy foil, and cook for an hour a lb @ 350.( I think!). I haven't made it in a long time. It's my youngest son's favorite, and I went to Costco to pick up a piece of brisket yesterday, since he's coming home for the weekend. The cheapest piece was $50.00, @ $8.99 lb. If I'm paying that much for beef, somebody else will be cooking it.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:08 PM

237 posts, read 499,349 times
I'm guessing that 350 for that duration may be too long. Brisket has better results in the 250 range.
We are lucky in Texas, as the Costco right near my house always has prime grade packers for less than half of that price. Good luck Mnita!

Old 05-07-2015, 03:29 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
The cheapest piece was $50.00, @ $8.99 lb. If I'm paying that much for beef, somebody else will be cooking it.
$8.99 is very expensive for brisket even at today's prices. I thought Costco was supposed to be a good price. Supermarket price around here is $3 to $3.50 a pound. Even if it's "Choice" or "Prime" (which I doubt highly) it doesn't matter with a cut of beef like brisket. The $8.99 is probably for highly trimmed brisket but even that is about $5 at a supermarket. You probably want to cook it low and slow for a long time depending on the size. Cook it covered for low and slow part, then uncover and crank up the oven to brown on the outside. If you apply a rub it would even form sort of a "bark" at the higher temperatures. Not exactly smoked BBQ but still pretty good. Just google for some recipes on making your own BBQ rub. If you have a meat thermometer you want to shoot for around 175 degrees internal temperature on the lean part of the brisket. The fatty side can be cooked to about 185. Seems high but that is the correct temperature for this cut.

Old 05-07-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzro View Post
I'm guessing that 350 for that duration may be too long. Brisket has better results in the 250 range.
We are lucky in Texas, as the Costco right near my house always has prime grade packers for less than half of that price. Good luck Mnita!
You are correct. I checked with my mother, it's 225 degrees at an hour/lb.

Old 05-08-2015, 05:43 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Thanks, just what I needed.We are still trying to decide if we are going to bring the smoker into the garage or use the oven.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:15 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,618,621 times
Nmnita, Put it in the garage. Open the doors, put close to door, or something. My smoker used to be in a chicken house with 6' ceilings. Opened 2 doors, got air flow, and it was great. Never done it in an attached garage to a house, though.

another idea is to smoke it until it reaches about 160, that "lag" time. Then into foil pan, cover with foil, and into a 225-250 oven till it "gives up".

Wish you the best, and Happy Mothers Day!

Old 05-09-2015, 11:48 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,451,919 times
You are going to think this CRAZY, but I will PERSONALLY reimburse you the cost of the brisket if it is not the best you have ever had in your life!!!!

Oven Brisket

Ingredients

•4 to 6 pound beef brisket, visible fat untrimmed (adjust below for a larger brisket)
•1 12-ounce can Coca Cola
•1 envelope Lipton Dried onion soup mix
•1 cup bottled chili sauce

Directions

To make the Coca Cola Brisket, preheat the oven to 325°F (162°C).

•2. Pat the brisket dry with paper towels, if desired, to remove any moisture. Place it in a nonreactive roasting pan or a glass baking dish just large enough to fit the brisket. ( I use one of the cooking bags to ensure the moisture stays inside.)

•3. Mix the Coke, chili sauce, and dried onion soup mix in a bowl and pour it over the brisket. Cover the baking dish or roasting pan tightly with aluminum foil (or use a baking bag like I do). Bake the brisket until tender, about 30 minutes per pound, figure 2 to 3 hours, depending on the size of your brisket.

•4. Transfer the brisket to a cutting board and let it rest for at least 10 minutes. Meanwhile, skim the fat from the surface of the pan juices and discard. Pour the defatted pan juices into a gravy boat or, if a thicker consistency is desired, pour the juices into a saucepan and simmer until reduced slightly.

•5. Trim any visible fat from the brisket, then thinly slice it against the grain. Pile the slices on a platter and pass the warm pan juices on the side.

My husband is a SERIOUS BBQ King and even HE loves this recipe!!!!! (Not to mention the smell is so wonderful it will drive you CRAZY the entire time it cooks!)

Old 05-09-2015, 01:16 PM

I would give that a try Paka, if I ever find brisket for a reasonable price. I don't know what chili sauce is, does that refer to the chili garlic sauce I find in the oriental aisle?

Old 05-09-2015, 01:21 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,812,030 times
I think it is the chili sauce made by Heinz or Hunts that is close to the ketchup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes