Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2015, 05:21 PM

497 posts, read 387,191 times

Advertisements

This cake reminds me of those orange cream popsicles I had when I was a youngster. Boy do those creamsicles bring back memories! If you like creamsicles, then you will enjoy this cake, which also is a very moist cake by the way.

Creamsicle Jell-O Cake

Cake Ingredients:
1 (18.25 oz.) box Duncan Hines Orange Supreme Cake Mix
3 large eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1-1/3 cups water
..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
1 (3 ounce) box orange gelatin
1 cup hot boiling water
1 cup cold water

Frosting Ingredients:
1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
1 cup 2% milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon pure orange extract
1 (0.16 oz.) packet Mandarin Tangerine Kool-Aid
1 (3.4 oz.) box instant vanilla pudding mix
1 (8 ounce) frozen container Cool Whip, thawed

Instructions to make/bake the cake:
Preheat oven to 350º.
(If using a metal or glass pan, preheat oven to 325º.)
Grease inside of one 13x9x2-inch pan with shortening.
Lightly flour the pan.

In a large mixing bowl, add the dry cake mix, eggs, vegetable oil, and water. Beat ingredients at low speed for 30-60 seconds. Then beat at medium speed for about 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of bowl, then continue to mix batter for another minute or two, until batter ingredients are well combined together.

Pour batter into cake pan, and bake immediately. (Since I used a pyrex glass cake pan, I baked my cake for 35 minutes in a 325º oven.) Be sure to check the back of the boxed cake mix, to see how long to bake your cake, for what type of pan you are using.

After removing pan from oven, use a toothpick to poke wholes over the entire cake. This may seem a bit time consuming, but be sure to poke every inch of the cake. Set cake aside to cool. Once the cake has cooled, follow instructions for preparing the gelatin.

In a heat-proof bowl, add the orange gelatin and hot boiling water, and stir for 2 minutes. Now add the 1 cup of cold water, and stir for about 30 seconds. Use a large spoon to pour the liquid gelatin over the entire cake. Once that is done, I then place the cake in the refrigerator for several hours, (about 4-6 hours) before frosting the cake.

Instructions to prepare frosting and to frost the cake:
In a large deep bowl, add the softened cream cheese; beat for a minute with an electric hand held mixer. Now add the milk, and beat until milk and cream cheese are well mixed together. Add the extracts, Kool-Aid, and boxed pudding mix; beat well to combine all the ingredients together. Using the hand held mixer, gently mix in the entire container of Cool Whip. Spoon large dollops of the frosting over the cake, until it's covered the entire cake. Carefully spread frosting to cover the cake.

I refrigerated the cake overnight in the fridge, and served it the next day. Cut cake into 16 slices, before serving. Carefully remove cake from pan when ready to serve, as this is an extremely moist cake.

Note: I found this cake keeps well for several days in the refrigerator. Also, when making this cake, I had noticed the boxed cake mix I used, had expired past the due date, so when I mixed the cake ingredients together, I also added 1 tablespoon of meringue powder, which I got from the baking department at our Festival Foods Store. The meringue powder added some height to the cake. Some cakes when past the expiration date, may not rise as much, so by adding the tablespoon of the powder, helps the cake to rise up nicely.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 06:55 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,865,272 times
How can anything with a cream cheese frosting not be GREAT!!!

Old 06-04-2015, 08:24 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Omg, I loooooove Creamsicles. And cake. So you just killed me... in a fabulous way!

Old 06-04-2015, 08:40 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Dirty G -- I couldn't rep you to respond to your rep comment so:

What? Do you think I'm BLIND? I can see cream cheese with one eye tied beyond my back. Or something like that. I LOVE CREAM CHEESE. AND CREAMSICLES. AND CAKE! I'd share that cake with you as long as I get the pizza slice with the most anchovies on it.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:42 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
Ah, Jello cakes! A staple of Lutheran Youth Organization ice cream socials of my youth.

I've never had it with orange, but it seems like it would, indeed, be reminiscent of Creamsicles. Most typical was white cake with red raspberry jello, whipped cream topping and fresh raspberries on top. It looks tie-dyed!

Old 06-04-2015, 10:35 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,865,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
...I LOVE CREAM CHEESE. AND CREAMSICLES. AND CAKE!...
LOL - yep, it has ALL the food groups.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:57 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,525,135 times
OMG, it looks soooo good!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes