Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2015, 10:40 PM

497 posts, read 378,810 times

Advertisements

I "love" rhubarb! And I love this cake, it's not too sweet, and not too tart! Hubby says it's a nice moist cake. Before making the cake, be sure to read the *note that follows the recipe.

Rhubarb Pineapple Upside Down Cake

1 (18.25 oz.) box Pillsbury Golden Butter Cake Mix
1 cup water (or 1 cup of reserved pineapple juice)
1/3 cup softened butter
3 large eggs
3 cups thinly sliced rhubarb (do not use frozen)
1 (20 oz.) can crushed pineapple, drained & reserving juice
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 (3 oz.) box Strawberry Jell-O Gelatin
Cool Whip or Reddi Wip, to garnish cake

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Grease one 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Set pan a side.

In a large bowl blend together just until moist, the cake mix, the water (or the reserved pineapple juice), softened butter, and eggs. Then beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Set bowl a side.

In a medium size bowl mix together by hand, the rhubarb, crushed pineapple, granulated sugar and brown sugar, plus the Strawberry Jell-O.

Pour the rhubarb mixture into the already greased baking pan. Spread mixture evenly in pan.

Now pour the cake batter over the rhubarb mixture. Using the back-side of a tablespoon; spread the cake batter evenly over the rhubarb mixture.

Bake in oven for 55 minutes. Cake should look golden brown in color when done baking. If need be, do the toothpick test in center of cake, to be sure cake is done baking. (Mine was done baking within 55 minutes.)

Let cake sit to cool down a bit before serving. Either serve cake while it's still warm, or cool completely then serve. Or refrigerate to serve later. (Refigerate any leftover cake.)

Top cake with a dollop of Cool Whip, or Reddi Wip.

*Note: Be sure to thoroughly drain the juice from the canned pineapple. I use a mesh colander to drain the pineapple in, plus I press down the crushed pineapple with a spoon. From that, I got exactly 1-cup of juice to add to the cake mix, instead of adding water. Also, the canned crushed pineapple I used, stated on the label... Natural Juice No Sugar Added, and the brand I used was... Liberty Gold.

Last edited by 1DomesticGoddess; 06-11-2015 at 11:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 10:44 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,755,350 times
Ah, you are driving me insane with the rhubarb recipes. I love it, but no one else in my household would eat it.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:51 PM

497 posts, read 378,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
Ah, you are driving me insane with the rhubarb recipes. I love it, but no one else in my household would eat it.

maggie2101, my family "loves" rhubarb, and I will be sharing a lot more recipes!

Old 06-11-2015, 11:33 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,752,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1DomesticGoddess View Post
...*Note: Be sure to thoroughly drain the juice from the canned pineapple. I use a mesh colander to drain the pineapple in, plus I press down the crushed pineapple with a spoon...
I've used cheesecloth to squeeze the juice from crushed pineapple (the pineapple is used to make cheese balls).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes