U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 03:57 PM

25,906 posts, read 36,218,541 times

Advertisements

Savory Bread Pudding With Kale and Mushrooms Recipe - NYT Cooking

I've made this. The crusty top is out of this world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 04:29 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,844,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
...serve it sprinkled with malt vinegar.
That's how I eat all greens.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:39 PM

7,672 posts, read 9,872,302 times
We put kale in smoothies. Especially with berries. One of my favorite soups is zuppa toscana with kale and potatoes.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:59 PM

Kale and white bean soup is very good. I make one similar to this but add sliced carrots. I also slice the kale thin so it wilts way down. Sometimes the store has dark purple carrots, which makes a pretty dish with the dark green kale.

Kale and White Bean Soup Recipe | Martha Stewart

Cooking the greens with Italian sausage or ham, or with leftover bacon drippings, would be good if you eat meat.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:09 PM

36,494 posts, read 41,699,622 times
That reminds me, I did make a really nice kale, white bean, and Italian sausage soup last fall. Really nice with some parmesan shredded into it and some crusty warm bread.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:22 PM

1,418 posts, read 952,344 times
I just put it in my salads once in awhile. Before I do tho, when tearing it I also rub it together in my hands to soften it. It makes it easier to chew.
I've done the kale chip thing but I always end up cooking them too much. But they taste ok.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:31 PM

Ribollita ("reboiled") is another good soup made with kale, as well as savoy cabbage and basil. The recipe I use and love is in an old cookbook I'd have to dig out, but these ingredients look about right. (Mine uses ham, not bacon or pancetta, though.) It's a hearty, tomato-based bean soup with a lot of vegetables. You cook it one day, refrigerate it overnight, then bake it the next day with bread. This recipe calls for the bread to be added to the soup. I prefer to toast thick slices of dense bread, layer with thinly sliced onions in a large casserole dish, ladle the hot soup over, sprinkle with parmesan and bake until bubbling hot.

Ribollita Recipe : Ina Garten : Food Network

Old 06-20-2015, 08:52 AM

17,478 posts, read 20,838,188 times
Kale chips. Great crunchy snack but not as crunchy as potato chips.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:34 AM

3,463 posts, read 2,685,896 times
I bake it for most everything. I do like the kale chips to just snack on however, I also crumble it up after baking it and add it to everything: scrambled eggs, omelettes, chili, all kinds of soups, all casseroles, stir fries, spinach salads, potato toppers, frittatas, nachos, tacos, burritos, turkey burgers, pizza or most any type of hot dish I make.

I go through tons of kale.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:58 PM

811 posts, read 723,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Kale Colcannon - buttery mashed potatoes with kale.
Thank you! I haven't tried this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Savory Bread Pudding With Kale and Mushrooms Recipe - NYT Cooking

I've made this. The crusty top is out of this world.
Thanks, JustJulia. This - as well as Ina's soup recipe (I love everything she makes) - looks great! I appreciate the recipes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
I bake it for most everything. I do like the kale chips to just snack on however, I also crumble it up after baking it and add it to everything: scrambled eggs, omelettes, chili, all kinds of soups, all casseroles, stir fries, spinach salads, potato toppers, frittatas, nachos, tacos, burritos, turkey burgers, pizza or most any type of hot dish I make.

I go through tons of kale.
Corn-fused, it sounds like you and I have both pretty well exhausted the potentials of kale... I've done all of these things and then some too. Frittatas, pastas, sautéed, a myriad of soups, stir fry, chips, slaws, and as a semi-crispy topping for almost everything else are my go-to's, to name a few. I suppose that should be enough! I just get bored easily, I guess...

Thanks everyone for suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or