U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 03:30 PM

7,672 posts, read 9,919,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Well, that sounds better. Previously, I left this thread scratching my head regarding "raw, pre-shredded beef." I was trying to picture a process where raw meat was ripped and shredded, and how that process would be easier than simply braising the beef and shredding it.
I too was puzzled ss you can't shred raw beef...that's how you know it's done! When it is so tender it falls apart/pull/shred.

If you did buy the shaved beef OP, you can season it with Mexican spices and just brown it. Don't braise it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 03:48 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,159,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I think OP is talking about thinly sliced beef for something like braciola or Philly cheese steak. OP could slice these into strips and stir fry them, and it would be fine, but it would not be the same as what she's going for.
Anyway, OP, why pay more for someone to slice the meat for you?
Brisket is very expensive (not sure why), so I would buy a chuck or round roast, throw in into a pot with some liquid and seasoning, according to the recipe you have, or it could be a bottle of beer, a can of broth, wine or water, and put it into a 250-300 degree oven for 3 hours. Take the meat out to cool. Remove excess fat, and bone. Shred with 2 forks and you're done.
I couldn't rep you again - like this post a lot.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:17 PM

1,431 posts, read 961,008 times
I bought a London broil marked down the other day at Winco, and put it in the crock pot w/a pkge of ranch dressing mix, w/a little water.
Man, it was so good and flavorful. Try it.
Then I was able to make tacos, and tostadas using it. It was able to be shredded.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:25 PM

3,139 posts, read 2,177,441 times
Hi all,

thanks for the advice! I'm mostly a poultry person and the most beef I normally ever cook is in the form of a hamburger, lol.

Large cuts of beef intimidate me and I'm always confused on which cuts will do well if prepared ways x, y, z.

I went to the store today and brought brisket. Soooo expensive! 2lbs came out to about $19!!!! The butcher didn't have any other recommendations for me, so I was left with my expensive cut of beef. Ridiculous. I didn't have time last night to check this thread before heading to the store this morning. If not, I definitely would have held off on having my wallet violated!

WHat cuts of beef are normally cheaper and can be slow cooked so that they shred easily? Is it just london broil?

Old 07-31-2015, 07:31 PM

7,672 posts, read 9,919,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
Hi all,

thanks for the advice! I'm mostly a poultry person and the most beef I normally ever cook is in the form of a hamburger, lol.

Large cuts of beef intimidate me and I'm always confused on which cuts will do well if prepared ways x, y, z.

I went to the store today and brought brisket. Soooo expensive! 2lbs came out to about $19!!!! The butcher didn't have any other recommendations for me, so I was left with my expensive cut of beef. Ridiculous. I didn't have time last night to check this thread before heading to the store this morning. If not, I definitely would have held off on having my wallet violated!

WHat cuts of beef are normally cheaper and can be slow cooked so that they shred easily? Is it just london broil?
Flank, pot roast, even skirt/flap all shreds after a long braise. Out of those, I use flank personally.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:38 PM

11,081 posts, read 17,554,568 times
Chuck roast is my preference for shredded beef, and it's usually cheaper than brisket. I season it lightly with chili powder, garlic powder, and salt, then braise. I mainly want to taste the beef, not the spices since it is the base for tacos, tostadas, etc. served with salsa and other condiments.

I've used beer, wine, or stock for the cooking liquid, but honestly usually just go with some good old H2O.

Old 08-01-2015, 06:12 AM

37,105 posts, read 45,622,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
Hi all,

Like I said in my previous post, chuck or round roasts would have been fine. Actually, $19. for the brisket isn't so bad. I just saw one in the store yesterday for over $30.

Old 08-01-2015, 12:37 PM

22,674 posts, read 28,709,830 times
I use a chuck roast for shredded beef. It has excellent flavor and the higher fat content keeps the meat moist. The texture is good for shredding, too.

Crock pot all day and then I pull it out of the crock pot and put it on an oversized cookie sheet to shred it.

For shredded beef, I cook the roast with onions, dried Ancho peppers and a little bit of cumin. You can put a handful of dried pinto beans into the bottom of the crock pot, make sure they stay covered with liquid and they will be done when your roast is done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes