Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 09:51 AM

50,179 posts, read 63,636,357 times

Advertisements

I read once that putting in an extra egg in the Libby’s recipe, makes a firmer pie, so I do that. I also don’t care for cloves, so I leave it out and add more ginger.

Sometimes I use the recipe for Rich Squash Pie from my old Fannie Farmer, and it is good. I’ll use this one for Thanksgiving.

One 9” unbaked pie shell

1 cup winter squash or pumpkin
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
3T brandy or rum
1 t. Cinnamon
1 t. Nutmeg
1/2 t. Ginger
1/2 t. Salt
1/4 t. Mace

425 for 10 minutes
300 for 45-60 minutes until the filling is firm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 11:05 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,446,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2C View Post
Thanks! I used evaporated milk - maybe condensed instead? I really didn't think about changing the recipe I already had (that would make too much sense!)
I don’t know about that swap, since condensed milk is also heavily sweetened. I was just thinking it might work to add 2/3 or 3/4 of a cup instead of a whole cup.

Eggs are a good binder so it also makes sense that an extra egg would make the pie firmer.

Scroll down here and somebody put a recipe for a firm pumpkin pie with 4 eggs! http://www.seriouseats.com/talk/2008...t-firm-up.html

Last edited by Debsi; 10-28-2017 at 11:20 AM..

Old 10-29-2017, 01:06 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,722,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobie119 View Post
Paula deen provides a recipe for Pumpkin pie that is fabulous. My husband is a pumpkin pie expert and its his fave! Either taht or he's just trying to get points..

With you, or with Paula Deen?

I make my own dairyless pumpkin pie with a block of tofu. So good. The only way I can tell it from the evaporated-milk kind is that I can eat the whole pie without breaking out in hives or getting a sinus headache.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:38 AM

1,551 posts, read 1,147,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
I make my own dairyless pumpkin pie with a block of tofu. So good. The only way I can tell it from the evaporated-milk kind is that I can eat the whole pie without breaking out in hives or getting a sinus headache.
This strikes me as absolutely brilliant. Can't rep you again, but thanks.

My go-to recipe for pumpkin pie-

2lb pumpkin, 6 sl beaten eggs, 2C brown sugar, 1t salt, 2t cinnamon, 1t ginger, 1/2t each of clove and nutmeg. Blend well, pour into two unbaked crusts, bake at 450 for 10 minutes, then 350 for 40 minutes.

This recipe actually also calls for 2C evaporated milk, but I leave it out. Thus a denser pie. Also, very pumpkin-y.

I've also made this recipe with 4 eggs as a single pie

Old 11-01-2017, 11:42 AM

129,000 posts, read 11,938,836 times
I just use the recipe on the side of the can, & I use almond or coconut milk instead of the canned milks. We like it. While I do not like cloves by themselves, they interact well with the other spices & I would never change that spice combination/particular taste ( pumpkin pie spice flavor)

Old 11-02-2017, 12:32 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,774,183 times
I've always used Libby's recipe when I make my own, and I add a nut topping.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:35 PM

20,894 posts, read 28,292,803 times
me too, I use the Libby's recipe.

Old 11-04-2017, 04:16 AM

1,551 posts, read 1,147,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
me too, I use the Libby's recipe.
Yeah, but that's bc you're family. ;-)

Old 11-05-2017, 12:43 PM

983 posts, read 1,175,976 times
I honestly like Costcos pumpkin pies from their bakery just as much as the home cooked ones I have eaten at past holiday dinners.

What matters most to me is: well chilled and a definite crunch textured crust.

If the pie moistness has softened up the crust a whole bunch ... that kinda is a buzz kill for me liking it. Its a combination of taste - texture and coldness for me.

Old 11-05-2017, 03:54 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,722,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2C View Post
It's almost pumpkin pie time and I'm looking for a single crust recipe that someone has had success with. This might sound weird, but I'm looking for a pie that is a little on the "denser" side; almost like some bean pies I have had - but not a pumpkin flavored cheesecake. I don't need to restrict gluten, sugar,eggs, calories, or anything. Any suggestions? Thanks!

My pumpkin pie recipe is nice and solid:

1 15-oz can pumpkin
1 whole block of tofu -- anything from silken tofu all the way up to extra-firm is fine
1 c packed dark-brown sugar
1/2 Tbsp molasses
1 tsp each cinnamon and pumpkin-pie spice (or more to taste)
1/4 tsp salt

Empty the pumpkin into a large bowl; use a potato masher to combine it with the flavorings before adding the chopped-up tofu. mash those together too, then whiz in SMALL BATCHES in the blender or food processor to create a smooth mixture with no white lumps left in it. This will be a long ordeal if you use extra-firm tofu, but firm silken is very substantial and holds its shape perfectly without taking all night to blend. Pour the resulting mixture into whatever piecrust you like -- I like a homemade no-roll crust but my diners are just as happy when I use PetRitz -- and be sure to smooth the top of the pie with a spatula, because any peaks and valleys will become a permanent part of the pie with this recipe. Bake at 350 degrees for an hour and you're home free.

Nobody can tell this isn't a store-bought pie. It's great if you're like me and you never, ever have an egg in the house when you need one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes