Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 05:25 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,156,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
My pumpkin pie recipe is nice and solid:

1 15-oz can pumpkin
1 whole block of tofu -- anything from silken tofu all the way up to extra-firm is fine
1 c packed dark-brown sugar
1/2 Tbsp molasses
1 tsp each cinnamon and pumpkin-pie spice (or more to taste)
1/4 tsp salt

Empty the pumpkin into a large bowl; use a potato masher to combine it with the flavorings before adding the chopped-up tofu. mash those together too, then whiz in SMALL BATCHES in the blender or food processor to create a smooth mixture with no white lumps left in it. This will be a long ordeal if you use extra-firm tofu, but firm silken is very substantial and holds its shape perfectly without taking all night to blend. Pour the resulting mixture into whatever piecrust you like -- I like a homemade no-roll crust but my diners are just as happy when I use PetRitz -- and be sure to smooth the top of the pie with a spatula, because any peaks and valleys will become a permanent part of the pie with this recipe. Bake at 350 degrees for an hour and you're home free.
It's that time of year again!
I made this several times last winter. It's a keeper and well worth bringing to the top of the heap. Yum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2018, 04:21 PM

21,909 posts, read 9,483,127 times
I use Libby's recipe. The other thing I have discovered is that I don't really care for cold or refrigerated pumpkin pie. But when it's a little warm or room temperature, it's great.

Old 11-03-2019, 12:28 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
It's that time of year again ....

I use the Libby's recipe but I doctor it up with substitutions to cut the fat and calories.

The large can of solid-pack pumpkin makes two pies, so here are my changes for making two pies.
- Instead of four whole eggs I use Egg Beaters (EB). Four eggs = one cup so I use one cup of EB.
- Instead of evaporated milk I use evaporated SKIM milk.

That's it.

By making these two substitutions I get a pie filling that is FAT FREE and far lower in calories. It tastes just as good as pumpkin pie made by "traditional" recipes. The only fat in my pumpkin pies are in the crust and the whipped cream. In fact, I don't eat the crust, I just slide the filling off with my fork.

I use the individual spices, not the "pumpkin pie" spice. May not make a difference, but that's how I do it.

As always, pumpkin pie goes great with a cup of black coffee.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-04-2019, 08:50 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,456,642 times
Quote:
1 15-oz can pumpkin
1 whole block of tofu -- anything from silken tofu all the way up to extra-firm is fine
1/2 Tbsp molasses
1/4 tsp salt

Wow. I am going to absolutely do this one. I am going to make this and replace the dark brown sugar with Swerve brown sugar. I don't do sugar and we have a newly diagnosed diabetic guy at work. He has been stressing about the goodies he can't have this season. How perfect this is and he will love it!

Old 11-04-2019, 09:10 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
A couple Thanksgivings back I decided to make the filing from scratch - I tried two recipes, one using pie pumpkins and the other using butternut squash. All I can say is that the results were not any better than a version using canned pumpkin - but they were a lot more work.

I tend to make mini pumpkin "custards" now anyway, using the basic "pie recipe" and filling 6 oz ramekins and skipping the crust completely. This year I am tempted to find a recipe that doesn't use any of the canned milks. I really dislike the taste of ultrapasteurized milk and it doesn't get any better as evaporated milk, which just adds a sort of "tinned" taste, even when it's been packed in the lined cans.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 11-11-2019, 02:37 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,156,308 times
Quote:

1 15-oz can pumpkin
1/2 Tbsp molasses
1/4 tsp salt

Empty the pumpkin into a large bowl; use a potato masher to combine it with the flavorings before adding the chopped-up tofu. mash those together too, then whiz in SMALL BATCHES in the blender or food processor to create a smooth mixture with no white lumps left in it. This will be a long ordeal if you use extra-firm tofu, but firm silken is very substantial and holds its shape perfectly without taking all night to blend. Pour the resulting mixture into whatever piecrust you like -- I like a homemade no-roll crust but my diners are just as happy when I use PetRitz -- and be sure to smooth the top of the pie with a spatula, because any peaks and valleys will become a permanent part of the pie with this recipe. Bake at 350 degrees for an hour and you're home free.

Nobody can tell this isn't a store-bought pie. It's great if you're like me and you never, ever have an egg in the house when you need one.

It's that time of year again! This is a great pumpkin pie recipe. Thanks again Cliffie.

(I always use silken tofu, it blends in nicely and easily and no need to do in batches)

Old 11-14-2019, 05:48 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
I forgot to add the sugar to my pumpkin pie two years in a row. (Fortunately I don’t host Thanksgiving.)

Old 11-14-2019, 07:05 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2C View Post
It's almost pumpkin pie time and I'm looking for a single crust recipe that someone has had success with. This might sound weird, but I'm looking for a pie that is a little on the "denser" side; almost like some bean pies I have had - but not a pumpkin flavored cheesecake. I don't need to restrict gluten, sugar,eggs, calories, or anything. Any suggestions? Thanks!
We have no dietary restrictions here other than moderation. I've long made a Betty Crocker recipe that calls for (that odd sized measurement of) sweetened condensed milk. It's firm and smooth and rich. What I like best about it is the nice golden color. Nothing turns me off faster than a green-tinged pumpkin pie!

Old 11-17-2019, 06:57 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
I just went through some old cookbooks and my aunt had this in there for pumpkin pie and she wrote down why most people s pumpkin splits . Here is the recipe .
I can pumpkin puree (don't use pumpkin pie in can because stuff is added )
1 whole egg
3 egg yolks
1 can sweetened condensed milk I use eagle brand
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
a pinch of salt

Now mix all together , pour into pie shell and shake , shake and then tap air bubbles will come to surface .
bake at 425 for 15 minutes then lower to 350 for 30 to 35 minutes . remove and test with tip of knife must come out clean if so then done . Serve after cooling with a dollop of cool whip. Now the reason most pies crack is because of too much whole egg thus use egg yolks .

Old 11-17-2019, 04:21 PM

5,645 posts, read 6,206,522 times
I usually make apple pie for Thsanksgiving but this year we've decided to go for pumpkin. I always make my own filling rather than from the can. It really isn't that much effort plus you get all the yummy seeds for roasting. It does soom to make a difference. Just be sure to get a sugar pumpkin rather than a carving pumpkin.

Here's a recipe I've used successfully in the past that has a little twist to the traditional pumpkin pie. It was a hit before and I'm leaning toward it for this year:

Pecan Pumpkin Pie

2 eggs
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups solid pack pumpkin puree
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon orange zest
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup pecan halves

Combine eggs, sugars, flour, spices and salt. Blend in pumpkin. Gradually add milk; mix well.
Pour into 9-inch pie shell. Bake in 450 degree F (230 degrees C) oven 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and bake 40 to 50 minutes longer.

Sprinkle pecan mixture over pie the last 10 minutes before removing from the oven.

To Make Topping: Combine 2 tablespoons butter, 1 tablespoon grated orange rind, 1/4 cup brown sugar and 3/4 cup whole pecans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes