U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 10:34 PM

114,159 posts, read 54,011,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandCityGirl View Post
SATX56, what is the store brand? I'm intrigued... And learning how to grocery shop in TX.
Uh oh! I got the last 3 can son the shelf today for $1.00. The manager standing right there said they're discontinuing it. He it doesn't mean the other stores won't carry it. I hope it doesn't. There are tons of HEB's around this was the one nearest our home. They carried Poblano soup as well and those were all gone. Better hurry.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 05:55 AM

6,355 posts, read 5,437,091 times
This is my family's favorite pork recipe for this time of year, when the apples from my trees are ripe, and when I have a good crop of butternut squash.

Balsamic glazed pork chops:

1 pound boneless pork chops

4 tablespoons flour

4 tablespoons cooking oil

2 cups cubed (1/2 inch) butternut squash

1 Tbsp. sugar

1/3 cup balsamic vinegar

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. dried sage

2 red apples, unpeeled, thinly sliced

2 tsp. cornstarch blended with 2 Tbsp. water

Dredge the pork in the flour, shake off excess. In a large nonstick skillet heat half the oil over medium heat. Add half the pork, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until golden brown and just cooked through. Transfer to a plate, repeat with the remaining oil and remaining pork.

Add the squash to the pan, sprinkle with the sugar, and cook for 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Add the vinegar and cook for another minute.

Stir in 1 1/2 cups of water, the salt, and sage, and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer and stir in the apples. Cover and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the squash and apples are tender.

Stir in cornstarch mixture, and cook for 1 minute, or until lightly thickened (add more water if needed). Return pork to the pan and simmer gently for 1 minute or until heated thoroughly.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:33 AM

468 posts, read 358,753 times
Here is one that mom always made when I was growing up. I make it now for my family. Just keep an eye on it...it depends on the thickness of the chops for the oven time.
Make sure you put foil on the pan because it really makes a sticky mess and its hard to clean the pan. I found that out the hard way.

Mom's Pork Chops

Ingredients
    • 4 boneless pork chops ( or your favorite cut of pork chops)
    • 4 slices onions
    • 4 tablespoons brown sugar
    • 4 tablespoons ketchup
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Line a baking sheet (like a jellyroll pan) with aluminum foil.
  3. Place all four pork chops on pan.
  4. Add 1 Tbsp of ketchup on the center of each of the pork chops.
  5. Next, add 1 Tbsp of brown sugar on top of the ketchup on each pork chop.
  6. Last , put a slice of onion on top of the brown sugar and ketchup.
  7. Place in preheated oven.
  8. Bake for 20-30 minutes or so, depending on thickness of your chops.
  9. Done when meat is no longer pink and not dry.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:24 AM

2,895 posts, read 1,635,611 times
beckerd2, we do much the same think, with the addition of a lemon slice on each one. When they're done, we sprinkle them with fresh lemon juice.

We also do pork chops sautéed with onions, then covered with a can or two of Campbell's Golden Mushroom Soup, and simmered, covered, until they're done. This is fantastic with mashed potatoes and sauced green beans (steamed green beans, tossed in a sauce of crisped bacon, vinegar, the bacon fat you got when cooking the bacon, and sugar.) Oddly enough, when my son came home on his first leave from the military, THIS is what he requested as his first meal - not steak or anything! He's learned, though - now when he comes home it's steak, steak, and more steak. For next Christmas, I should probably just buy him a cow.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:00 AM

11,003 posts, read 17,490,046 times
The family chop marinade (brine?) from my Gram is 1 part soy sauce, 1 part Worcestershire sauce, 1 part water.

I've had a great boneless chop where you dip them in mayo and roll them in crushed pretzels, and fry them crisp. It doesn't taste like mayo at all.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:06 AM

4,196 posts, read 5,230,836 times
Brown some boneless chops and set aside..

Mix 3 cans tomato soup, 1 can water and a small can of paste in a big pot..

Slice up a big onion and a few bell peppers, couple of garlic cloves..

Toss in all of the above...

Big pinch dried basil, salt, pepper..

Bring to a boil, then lightly simmer, stir sometimes to prevent sticking..

Last half hour of cooking toss in some red potato's or serve with or over rice..

Old 09-23-2015, 09:45 AM

13,782 posts, read 18,690,385 times
Also chops simmered in spaghetti sauce is awesome as well . I forgot about that one . My grand used to do that and then serve the rest of the sauce over mashed potatoes with side salad and lima beans Oh yeah okay I have made myself hungry now .

Old 09-23-2015, 08:53 PM

6,584 posts, read 6,794,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
The family chop marinade (brine?) from my Gram is 1 part soy sauce, 1 part Worcestershire sauce, 1 part water.

I've had a great boneless chop where you dip them in mayo and roll them in crushed pretzels, and fry them crisp. It doesn't taste like mayo at all.
How long do you marinade them for?

Old 09-23-2015, 10:14 PM

11,003 posts, read 17,490,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
How long do you marinade them for?
2 - 24 hours.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:23 PM

6,584 posts, read 6,794,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
If you like sauerkraut they are good browned and layered with well-drained sauerkraut in a slow cooker, too. I love them this way with lots of real mashed potatoes. It's a good combination of flavors and textures.

Probably gets a C- in the color and appearance department, though. Hah.
My grandmother had a version of this but she added 1cup dare I say ketchup...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or