U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 10:37 PM

11,081 posts, read 17,556,829 times

Advertisements

Spicy pickled carrots, cauliflower, and jalapeño:

Pickled Cauliflower, Carrots and Jalapeños | Williams-Sonoma

This is great served with tacos, or even as a snack with fresh-as-possible tortillas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 05:16 AM

18,677 posts, read 23,246,850 times
I love beet salad, borscht, sweet and sour cabbage, spaghetti squash tossed with butter and grated cheese or a tomato sauce, baked sweet potatoes stuffed with cottage cheese and pineapple, or savory sweet potatoes roasted with evoo, chili spices and garlic. Tomatoes broiled with evoo, topped with herbs and topped with buttery crisp bread crumbs.

I live cabbage, and cabbage rolls stuffed with Quinoa,or rice, lentils, and ground meatless.

A big salad and roasted root vegetables is also a good choice. As are stuffed red, yellow and green peppers - made so=similarly to the cabbage rolls.

Lentil soup with lots of greens, - either Indian or Mediterranean style. Depends on my mood.

I also enjoy a pita stuffed with humus, and sliced tomato, green onion, lettuce, and sprouts.

Split pea soup it very good. Vegetable soup with beans and chickpeas are also delicious.

Sandwiches and soup, three bean salad, coleslaw, potato salad and pasta salad with lots of in season veggies are good too.

Old 05-06-2016, 05:29 AM

70 posts, read 32,723 times
I drink raw vegetable juices (with added fruits), with a juice extractor.

I *love* beet, you can feel by the taste that it's very healthy. It's good for blood circulation.

My juice are usually made of: apples, carrots, raw BEET, ginger and a quarter lemon (with peel)... all raw of course, no cooking.
I sometimes substitute apples with orange, and beet with (raw) spinach and/or cucumber and fennel.
I love the red color of the beet juice. The health benefit of it is enormous.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:55 PM

18,677 posts, read 23,246,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchek View Post
I drink raw vegetable juices (with added fruits), with a juice extractor.

I *love* beet, you can feel by the taste that it's very healthy. It's good for blood circulation.

My juice are usually made of: apples, carrots, raw BEET, ginger and a quarter lemon (with peel)... all raw of course, no cooking.
I sometimes substitute apples with orange, and beet with (raw) spinach and/or cucumber and fennel.
I love the red color of the beet juice. The health benefit of it is enormous.

Funny.I feel the same way about beets! Eating them makes me feel healthy. I can almost feel the vitamins at work.

Old 05-07-2016, 07:45 AM

22,674 posts, read 28,709,830 times
Parsnips. Peel, cut in half the long way. Lay cut side down in a roasting pan, to fill the pan in one layer deep. Dab with real butter. Bake until the parsnips are tender.

I'd cook it often, but parsnips are hard to come by.

Also, rutabaga: peel and cut into chunks and add them to the pot roast with the potatoes and carrots.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:43 AM

37,105 posts, read 45,631,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
One of the best ways we've done cabbage is to slice a whole had into thick slabs, drizzle with olive oil, dust with salt and pepper, and oven roast.
I have never roasted cabbage, but that has to be fabulous. There is a Pioneer Woman recipe for baked cabbage with cheese sauce (CheezWhiz and soup) where you boil the cabbage first, but roasted would be better.

Old 05-09-2016, 02:39 PM

17,486 posts, read 20,929,831 times
I take broccoli florets and steam them in the microwave. Drain out the liquid, add butter, shredded cheddar and top with bread crumbs and bake Yum. I do something similar with cauliflower but after it's cooked I drain it, then I lightly mash it, add 1/4 cup cream cheese, 1 tsp. paprika, 1/3 cup shredded cheddar and top with bread crumbs and bake.

Old 05-09-2016, 04:02 PM

12,446 posts, read 10,902,000 times
If you can find the very thin asparagus spears...

Pre-heat oven to 425°F
Get rid of the lower, woody portion of the asparagus (I just cut 1/3 off the bottom of the bunch)
Coat the asparagus spears with olive oil
Spread the spears on a cookie sheet
Sprinkle the spears with coarse salt
Bake until floret ends gets crispy

We love these as a snack or a side.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:10 AM

2,895 posts, read 1,648,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I take broccoli florets and steam them in the microwave. Drain out the liquid, add butter, shredded cheddar and top with bread crumbs and bake Yum. I do something similar with cauliflower but after it's cooked I drain it, then I lightly mash it, add 1/4 cup cream cheese, 1 tsp. paprika, 1/3 cup shredded cheddar and top with bread crumbs and bake.
lubby, I hope you don't mind, but I copied these on to recipe cards and have them in my recipe box now - they'll be coming up in rotation VERY soon! They sound WONDERFUL! Bet my son would LOVE them - especially the broccoli one. I have to admit, I really don't ever do "much" with vegetables on a regular basis - I pretty much save it for holidays. Now, though - maybe it's time to rethink. I could also use those as a main dish - it wouldn't kill anyone around here to not have meat one day a week, right? Along with some nice bread or rolls - hmmmm. Gotta give that some more thought!

And yes, I still have a recipe box with recipes on folded up pieces of paper, newspaper clippings, magazine clippings, stuff written out by my mother, my grandmother, my godmother - stuff that I've come up with - I just prefer the format to a computer or tablet. It's almost like cooking WITH the person when you make a family recipe with a recipe card that they wrote out. But I'm weird that way, and oddly sentimental.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:56 AM

22,674 posts, read 28,709,830 times
I don't think it is a neglected vegetable, but I just bought a bunch of snow peas. I'll make a stir fry with beef, snow peas, mushrooms, a few slices of zucchini squash, and a few broccoli florets. Fresh minced ginger, lots of fresh garlic and the basic teiyaki-like stir fry sauce. Serve topped with roasted cashews, sesame oil, and the ever-present rooster sauce.

I buy whole beef rounds and freeze it in cubes in two pound packages. Some is in the crock pot right now with Asian seasonings. Once that is fall apart tender, I will make tonight's stir fry, tomorrow's red Thai curry, and a big Pad Thai the next night. That way I get tender flavorful beef without having to pay the high price for nice tender steak-- which is the only beef that works in stir fry if you are going to use raw beef in the stir fry and don't want to spend a lot of time chewing tough meat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or