Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 10:57 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times

Advertisements

My favorite neglected vegetable is the beet. We have just lately started having fresh roasted beets on a regular basis. They are sweet, beautiful and healthful.

Last week we visited a restaurant that served Beet Tzatziki on the side. I'm still dreaming about it. I don't have the restaurant's recipe, but there are several online, and the one below is typical. I'll be trying it next week, for sure.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/28/he...ipehealth.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 12:33 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
Default Roasted Brussels Sprouts

I like to cut brussels sprouts in half, toss them in olive oil and sea salt and roast them for half an hour. Extra treat: add mustard seeds to the toss. (Cover the sprouts loosely with foil if you use the mustard seeds because they will explode all over the oven.)

Old 09-20-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I like to cut brussels sprouts in half, toss them in olive oil and sea salt and roast them for half an hour. Extra treat: add mustard seeds to the toss. (Cover the sprouts loosely with foil if you use the mustard seeds because they will explode all over the oven.)
Wow, I love roasted Brussels sprouts too. I can't wait to try the mustard seeds on it.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:19 PM

20,932 posts, read 28,414,875 times
I cut up sweet potatoes (skins on) butternut squash, baby carrots, sweet onions, fresh garlic. Toss in EVOO and salt. Place 2 fresh sprigs rosemary on top and roast for about 45-min to an hour on 400 degrees. Yummy!

Old 09-20-2015, 08:50 PM

Salsify which is also called the Oyster Plant.

I had it once at the Pleasant Hill Shaker Village restaurant. I don't remember it tasting like oysters, but it was very good. I've never seen it in the store. It looks like a brown carrot or parsnip.
It was peeled, boiled until tender, then served in a casserole with a white sauce, sort of like scalloped potato.

Old 05-05-2016, 03:00 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,670,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My favorite neglected vegetable is the beet. We have just lately started having fresh roasted beets on a regular basis. They are sweet, beautiful and healthful.

Last week we visited a restaurant that served Beet Tzatziki on the side. I'm still dreaming about it. I don't have the restaurant's recipe, but there are several online, and the one below is typical. I'll be trying it next week, for sure.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/28/he...ipehealth.html
Oh, gosh! If you love beets, try eating the green leafy part of them! Best thing EVER! Cook them like you would cook spinach. So delicious!

Old 05-05-2016, 03:33 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
We often do a roasted root veggie medley (with a tuber and corm or two). Just chop 'em up uniformly, toss with olive oil and seasoning/herbs of your choice, and roast in a shallow pan. Carrots, parsnips, rutabaga, turnip, potato, sweet potato, taro, yuca, and beets are all ones we've used. If using beets, it's better to roast them separately, or everything tends to turn pink.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:42 PM

28 posts, read 20,751 times
Green beans, onion, red bell pepper, and summer squash.
Slice the onions into rings the bell pepper into long strips and the summer squash into coin size slices. Sautee' them in olive oil, the pour 3/4 cup of white wine, and 1/4 cider vinegar simmer for 15 to 30 seconds, then plate and enjoy.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:35 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,451,518 times
Made this a few months ago (don't remember why) and it was good. Only thing I didn't like was the time it spent hogging my oven.

WHOLE ROASTED CAULIFLOWER WITH GREEN HERB SAUCE
1 Large head cauliflower
3/4 C extra virgin olive oil
1/2 C packed chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
1/2 C packed chopped cilantro leaves and stems
1.5 t Dijon mustard
2T sherry vinegar

Line a rimmed baking shhet with parchment. Plop the cauliflower head in the middle. Brush with 1/4C oil and season with salt and pepper. Pull the short sides of the parchment together, fold it up, and keep making folds to seal it. Fold the long ends of the parchment under the cauliflower to make a packet. Put in a preheated 450 degree oven until knife tender (45 minutes or so.) Tear open the parchment on top, then roast another 20 or so minutes.

For the sauce, stir the remaining oil and other ingredients together in a bowl.

Serve cauliflower warm with sauce along side.

I got the recipe frpm one of my Martha Stewart magazines - so I pretty much followed it exactly. I don't find her recipes as "forgiving" as others when it comes to substitution. One thing I WILL change next time is not including the cilantro. We just don't like it.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:36 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
One of the best ways we've done cabbage is to slice a whole had into thick slabs, drizzle with olive oil, dust with salt and pepper, and oven roast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes