U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2017, 12:09 PM

9,156 posts, read 8,629,991 times

Advertisements

I used this recipe for Ancho Turkey Meatballs to make the best meatloaf ever: https://www.washingtonpost.com/recip...=.d7c79b9ae758

I usually make pretty good meatloaf on my own. The basic recipe usually includes ground turkey thigh (not breast--too dry), a panade (bread cubes soaked in milk, excess milk then squeezed out), egg, Parmigiano-Reggiano, S&P. There are lots of things I might add (not all at once): fully cooked onions (never raw), garlic, mustard, tomatoes, mushrooms, chilis, sour cream, different herbs (usually fresh), and a Thanksgiving version that includes dried cranberries and fresh sage.

Last edited by jay5835; 02-16-2017 at 12:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 12:42 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,829,758 times
My wife makes a turkey meatloaf so good that we actually look forward to "Meatloaf night." It's quite a bit lighter than a traditional beef meatloaf.

Old 02-16-2017, 12:53 PM

36,927 posts, read 45,365,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandCityGirl View Post
I feel confident that I do.

Tips:

- Ground chuck, at a reasonably fine grind (for texture that's not grainy). It makes the best meatloaf and the best burgers because it's a cut with a "beefier" flavor. Avoid sirloin, for sure. If you want to get really impressive/fancy/extra-beefy, consider adding some ground short rib to the mix. Some people really love the texture better if they add a little bit of ground pork to the mix. Obviously that will take some of the beef flavor away. I like it both ways.

- The meat needs fat in order to have the right flavor, texture, and moisture level. Make sure the ground beef/meat mixture is 15-20% fat, no less.

- Use fine, dry bread crumbs. Not panko. Not fresh bread crumbs. It's a texture thing.

- Sauté the aromatics (chopped fine), before adding them to the meat. I sauté onions, garlic, mushrooms, herbs until very soft before adding them to the meat mix. This keeps the texture of the loaf smooth and uniform, and helps the flavor of the aromatics to distribute throughout the meat better.

- Use beef stock, either instead of or along with milk, as your liquid/moisture component (I think a combo of the two is best.). Obviously this adds more beef flavor. A great, gelatinous, homemade beef stock is going to be by far the BEST, not only for flavor, but for contributing to moisture retention and a pleasant texture. If you want to get serious but don't have homemade stock, you could bloom a bit of gelatin in the stock before adding it. That's a classic, restaurant-beef-stew trick.

- Umami. Umami. Umami. (= BEEFIER flavor) I already mentioned that I add finely chopped mushrooms (creminis) to the aromatics. They are a classic addition to beefy dishes for a reason. The mushrooms are awesome because they not only contribute flavor-wise, but retain moisture and act as a binder. I also recommend a hit of something like soy, anchovies, Worcestershire, tomato paste, miso, marmite, parmesan cheese... You choose/make your own combination. These DRAMATICALLY beef up the flavor, and add complexity without being recognized as an individual component when you eat it.

- Get the right balance of meat to binders. You want the beef to shine, not make meatballs (which are breadier).

Voila!
I like those ideas. Ive been hearing a lot of buzz about a bit of anchovy to brighten up a recipe, so i might try that next time. Seems like a no brainer to use beef stock, instead of milk or water, so I 'll definitely try that too.

Old 02-16-2017, 01:22 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,153,411 times
My family loves my meatloaf, even my DH who stated while still dating, tha he hates meatloaf.

Ground chuck
Onions, chopped small
Green pepper, chopped small
Garlic, minced finely
Italian style breadcrumbs
One large egg
Salt
Pepper
Onion powder
Garlic powder

Mix everything together and shape it to fit in whatever pan you use. Then I top it with ketchup and bake at 350 degrees. Cooking time depends on how thick your meatloaf is.

Old 02-16-2017, 01:34 PM

761 posts, read 380,284 times

Old 02-16-2017, 01:50 PM

7,770 posts, read 10,447,983 times
Bacon would make dog food taste good! If I have it I put a few strips across the top too.

Old 02-16-2017, 03:25 PM

2,895 posts, read 1,634,327 times
My family says I do too. It's much like ICG's with a few changes.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:38 AM

22,502 posts, read 28,391,956 times
I don't make meat loaf. My mother made it with a combination of ground beef and bulk breakfast sausage, with corn flakes instead of bread crumbs. Hers was fine.

An acquaintance who makes Swedish meatballs that everyone raves about says the secret is to not use any egg. She says the egg dries it out. Since I don't make meat loaf, I've never tried it that way, but I do know that the egg is put in to bind it all together and there is no reason to need a binder in a meat loaf. It's not like ground meat won't stick together if there is any fat in it at all.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:47 AM

4,508 posts, read 2,106,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by House4kids View Post
My family loves my meatloaf, even my DH who stated while still dating, tha he hates meatloaf.

Ground chuck
Onions, chopped small
Green pepper, chopped small
Garlic, minced finely
Italian style breadcrumbs
One large egg
Salt
Pepper
Onion powder
Garlic powder

Mix everything together and shape it to fit in whatever pan you use. Then I top it with ketchup and bake at 350 degrees. Cooking time depends on how thick your meatloaf is.
That sounds like my extremely simple recipe, except I also toss in a heaping spoonful of horseradish. Sometimes I wrap the loaf around a slab of Colby cheese.

I'm gonna make some this weekend. Now I'm hungry for it.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:08 AM

4,315 posts, read 2,485,019 times
I honestly can say I never have complained about any meat loaf.

I considered the words" bad meat loaf " an oxymoron.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes