U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2017, 11:30 AM

30,895 posts, read 13,462,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
1 lb. ground turkey (I used ground beef for years, but switched)
One onion, finely chopped. Sometimes also add green bell pepper, finely chopped.
3/4 cups uncooked oatmeal (formerly used one slice dry bread, torn up finely, still use sometimes, prefer oatmeal)
I raw egg
1 medium (10 oz. or so?) can tomato sauce
garlic powder, pepper, dried oregano, parsley, basil to taste

Mix all ingredients (with a large spoon, I hate using my hands), add the tomato sauce last, retaining 1/4 can tomato sauce. Form into loaf pan.

Bake in 350° oven for l hr. At that point, drain off any grease, & "glaze" top of meatloaf with remaining tomato sauce.

I serve this with baked or scalloped potatoes baked in the oven at the same time, or mashed potatoes & a green vegetable.

Same recipe for over 30 years. Really, I just eyeball the ingredients, after making so many. It's always moist & tasty. Even my spouse, who hated meatloaf before he met me, likes it. If you need more, double the recipe.
Sounds like mine with the oatmeal and tomato sauce, I use ground beef but other than that it's very similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 11:37 AM

24,804 posts, read 23,744,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Exactly! I've made a few really good ones, but then the next time...not so much.
Sometimes you have oyster sauce, anchovy paste, sh!take mushrooms in the house, and sometimes you don't.

Some of the recipes I've tried were terrible, though they got good reviews. I makes me wonder what some consider good food.

Old 03-04-2017, 12:24 PM

36,981 posts, read 45,435,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Okay - I will tell you. I don't measure anything. I use chopped meat (usually about a pound and a half to two pounds), add 2 eggs, 1 can of Cream of Golden Mushroom soup (I don't use the whole can unless I'm making the full 2 pounds), garlic & onion powder, salt & pepper (not too much salt as the soup is salty), basil and parsley and Italian flavored bread crumbs. I don't use a whole of bread crumbs, just enough to make it stick together. I cook at 350 for about an hour, a little more if I'm making 2 pounds.

If you like a really dry, firm meatloaf you might not like this but I prefer a moist meatloaf. I've had people who tell me that don't like meatloaf love this one.
Thanks. Sounds good.

Old 03-08-2017, 04:39 AM

17,478 posts, read 20,838,188 times
I added stove top stuffing to my meatloaf the other night instead of using bread crumbs. Came out so good and I was able to slice it for sandwiches.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:13 AM

3,465 posts, read 1,702,820 times
I was looking for a turkey meatloaf recipe yesterday and ended up using the following. I loved it! It doesn't taste like beef meatloaf, which is what I wanted, and uses fresh herbs that I had on hand. I didn't make the gravy, used sautéed mushrooms instead.

https://www.chowhound.com/recipes/sp...on-gravy-31512

Old 03-08-2017, 08:48 AM

2,412 posts, read 1,313,132 times
My mother always used oats (not breadcrumbs) in her meatloaves to absorb some of the extra fat, so I do too.

I also use 1/3 each of ground beef (chuck), ground veal and ground pork. That combination has always worked for me to make the loaf a bit lighter and more flavourful but still firm enough so it doesn't fall apart. I have tried ground turkey and chicken in the mix but for some reason I find them overpowering and they dried out the mix too much - and for me, a meatloaf should have a richer, beefier taste and be a bit juicy (when first cut into) but not overly so.

For that bit of background 'tang' which I like (it's not really umami to me but I guess some may use that term), I often add a bit of dry mustard and usually some ketchup - the only time I ever use ketchup at all is in meatloaf (not on top .. in the mix). Tomato paste is too flat/bland for meatloaf I think.

The other ingredients I use are worchestershire sauce, fresh Italian parsley finely chopped, salt, pepper, usually a bit of onion and garlic powder, minced fresh onion, and an egg.

I don't put anything on top - never found it was needed. I have tried adding finely chopped carrots to the mix but they can make it too sweet for my taste - and I also tried adding a duxelle (finely chopped mushrooms) once but didn't care for the result so those are now reserved for wellingtons where they work well.

When you have the mix assembled, if you want to get a preview of how it will taste, take a small bit and cook it up in a frying pan before putting it all in the oven - adjust seasonings if need be.

Old 03-10-2017, 05:57 PM

7,104 posts, read 9,314,124 times
I use a pound each of ground beef and ground pork, 3 Tbsps each ketchup and instant minced onion, a tsp each of salt & pepper, a whole cup of rolled oats, and-- the secret ingredient -- a whole cup of unsweetened applesauce.

It's to die for.

Old 03-12-2017, 10:41 AM

1,257 posts, read 884,831 times
Here is the recipe that I use; I've tweaked it over the years, and it's delicious, if I do say so myself.

Mr. Daynet always used to stick his beak up when I mentioned 'meatloaf', but he enjoys this version.

It's especially good the next day in sandwiches...

(Don't Let Your) Meat Loaf

ground beef
1 small onion, diced
1 - 2 cloves of garlic, minced
freshly ground black pepper
1 - 2 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp Montreal steak seasoning (powder, not the liquid version)
1 tsp ground sage
a few shakes of parsley flakes
1/3 cup pizza sauce or salsa
two slices cubed whole wheat bread
slices of bacon for top of loaf*

Mix ingredients in bowl. Shape into a loaf in pan.

Bake in pan with at least an inch of water in it for 60-80 minutes at 350 F. The water provides steam as the loaf cooks, making it super tender while not interfering with the browning process.

* Fifteen minutes before cooking time is over, remove bacon slices and set aside. Shove the loaf back into the oven so that the top of the loaf browns.

ENJOY!

Old 03-12-2017, 11:14 AM

16,649 posts, read 26,645,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daynet View Post
Montreal steak seasoning
Or as you and I call it:

steak seasoning

Old 03-12-2017, 03:17 PM

28,402 posts, read 61,828,834 times
I use a recipe that was on a Quaker Oats oatmeal box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes