U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 07:06 PM

7,526 posts, read 7,200,286 times

Advertisements

Ooh, thank you all! Reading this is making me hungry!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 11:20 PM

12 posts, read 20,622 times
Default Meatloaf recipes

Turkey and Beef Meat Loaf
Ingredients:

• 1 pound lean ground beef
  • 1 pound lean ground turkey
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 carrot, sliced
  • 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, coarsely chopped or sliced
  • 1/2 green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
  • 4 ounces mushrooms
  • 1 cup ketchup
  • 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
  • 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
Preparation:

Heat oven to 350°. Spray a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan or rectangular baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
Combine the beef and turkey in a large bowl with the eggs. In a food processor, combine the carrot, onion, garlic, and green pepper. Process until finely chopped. In a large skillet, over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the finely chopped vegetables and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Meanwhile, process the mushrooms until finely chopped. Add to the vegetables and continue cooking for 1 minute. Combine the ketchup with mustard, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, red pepper, salt, and black pepper. Put about 3/4 of the ketchup mixture in with the meat mixture, along with bread crumbs. Add the vegetables and mushrooms and mix until well blended.
Pack the mixture in a loaf pan or shape into a free-form loaf in the rectangular baking pan.
Bake the meatloaf for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Carefully pour off any excess grease. Spread remaining ketchup mixture over the loaf and continue cooking for 15 minutes.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:08 AM

4,196 posts, read 5,234,024 times
Default Meatloaf, everyones is different.

Hey foodies,

Had my bi-weekly meatloaf dinner last night and it got me thinking, smoke and all.
Everyone has either a family recipe they follow or they have come up with their own.
Perhaps you experiment and try something off the web from time to time so... with that said, how do you make yours?

Mine is pretty basic, though with no measuring it never tastes the same twice.
I do seem to "tweak it" sometimes by adding slight variations..

Ground pork/Beef mix-- Tweak, sometimes i'll add a single sausage.
2 eggs
Small to medium onion diced that has been Sweated
Garlic, fresh if I have but normaly granulated.
Bread crumbs, Italian seasoned (just what I have on hand)
Worshishire sauce, a couple of shakes
1/2 a can of tomato soup- other half is for top- Tweak sometimes catsup sometimes BBQ sauce
Thats pretty much about it..

Looking forward to hearing some of yours.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:35 AM

494 posts, read 1,416,763 times
Paul Prudhomme's is hard to beat for me

Seasoning

2 medium

bay leaves
1 Tablespoon salt 1 teaspoon cayenne 1 teaspoon black pepper ½ teaspoon white pepper ½ teaspoon ground cumin ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
Ingredients:
4 Tablespoons unsalted butter ¾ cup finely chopped onion ½ cup finely chopped celery ½ cup finely chopped bell pepper ¼ cup finely chopped green onions 2 teaspoons minced garlic 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce ½ cup evaporated milk ½ cup ketchup 1½ pounds. ground beef ½ pound Ground pork 2 large eggs, lightly beaten 1 cups very fine dry bread crumbs

Preheat the oven to 350º.

Combine the seasoning mix in a bowl and set aside.

Seasoning Mix:
2 medium bay leaves 1 Tablespoon salt 1 teaspoon cayenne 1 teaspoon black pepper ½ teaspoon white pepper ½ teaspoon ground cumin ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg Ingredients:
4 Tablespoons unsalted butter ¾ cup finely chopped onion ½ cup finely chopped celery ½ cup finely chopped bell pepper ¼ cup finely chopped green onions 2 teaspoons minced garlic 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce ½ cup evaporated milk ½ cup ketchup 1½ pounds. ground beef ½ pound Ground pork 2 large eggs, lightly beaten 1 cups very fine dry bread crumbs Preheat the oven to 350º.
Combine the seasoning mix in a bowl and set aside.
Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the celery, onion, bell pepper, green onions, garlic, Worcestershire sauce and seasoning mix. Sauté until mixture starts sticking extensively, about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally and scraping the bottom of the saucepan frequently. Stir in the milk and ketchup. Continue cooking for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and allow mixture to return to room temperature.

Place the ground beef and pork in an ungreased 13x9-inch baking pan. Add the eggs, the cooked veggie mixture (removing the bay leaves) and the bread crumbs. Mix by hand until thoroughly combined. In the center of the pan, shape the mixture into a loaf that is about 1½" high, 6" wide and 12" long.

Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 25 minutes, then raise the heat to 400 degrees and continue cooking until done, about 35 minutes longer.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:29 PM

4,037 posts, read 9,170,076 times
I don't measure anything, just throw stuff in
ground beef
1 egg
mixture of cracker crumbs and Italian Bread crumbs
pepper
garlic powder
onion powder
Worcestershire sauce, a few shakes
Pace Picante Sauce, Medium

top with a can of Hunts Meatloaf Sauce, if I can find it, otherwise a can of tomato sauce.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:34 PM

1,969 posts, read 5,388,407 times
Mine is so simple - ground beef, veal, pork mix with an egg or two and almost an entire container of progresso garlic and herb bread crumbs. Packs enough flavor that nothing else is needed

Old 03-15-2011, 02:57 PM

18,856 posts, read 31,626,592 times
I like onions, and green peppers in mine, along with a can of tomatoes, and I use oatmeal. Then, I just sort of play with the spice cupboard...and top it with bbq sauce, sometimes bacon if we have it.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:59 PM

5,210 posts, read 9,106,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
I don't measure anything, just throw stuff in
ground beef
1 egg
mixture of cracker crumbs and Italian Bread crumbs
pepper
garlic powder
onion powder
Worcestershire sauce, a few shakes
Pace Picante Sauce, Medium

top with a can of Hunts Meatloaf Sauce, if I can find it, otherwise a can of tomato sauce.
Mine is very similar, except for the Pace (although that does sound good).

I also put mushrooms in one half for me and onions in the other half for dh.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:06 PM

4,470 posts, read 6,825,985 times
Any of the above...just give me a good meat loaf...yeah and mashed potatoes.
HW
and gravy

Old 03-15-2011, 03:31 PM

4,037 posts, read 9,170,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I like onions, and green peppers in mine, along with a can of tomatoes, and I use oatmeal. Then, I just sort of play with the spice cupboard...and top it with bbq sauce, sometimes bacon if we have it.
I used to put a couple of slices of bacon on the top of mine. Haven't done it in years. I don't know why I stopped. I'm thinking meatloaf one night soon, and I'm gonna use bacon this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes