Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 02:43 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,335,072 times

Advertisements

This is one of my favorite salmon recipes because it is so easy to make and doesn't require a lot of prep-time (approximately 20 minutes).
Ingredients
Red or Silver salmon fillet, approximately 1/2" thick
8 to 10 scallops (4 or 5 Alaskan scallops)
1 cup of heavy cream
1 sprig of fresh tarragon
Remove any skin on the salmon fillet. With either a fillet knife or a very thin bread knife, carefully slice the salmon fillet in half so that it is no thicker than 1/4 inch. Lay each fillet on wax paper.

Put the scallops in a blender or food mixer and add about a dozen chopped tarragon leaves. Slowly add the heavy cream as the scallops are blended so that it forms a smooth paste. You don't want it to be runny, you want it to be about the same consistency of mayonnaise.

Spread an even coat of the scallop paste over the salmon fillets. Using the wax paper, slowly roll the salmon fillets. (Note: Keep the wax paper on the outside of the salmon roll, don't roll the wax paper inside) Twist the ends of the wax paper to keep the salmon rolls tight, and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to firm up.

Pre-heat the oven to 350°F. Place the salmon rolls in a casserole dish or baking dish, with the wax paper still on, and place in the middle of the oven for approximately 20 to 25 minutes.

Remove the salmon rolls from the oven, remove the wax paper, and carefully slice the salmon roll into 1/2" medallions and arrange on the plate. Cover with a White Butter Sauce and garnish each medallion with a couple tarragon leaves. Add some freshly ground white pepper and a little sea salt to taste. Serve with rice pilaf. Serves 2.
White Butter Sauce
1 shallot (minced)
1/2 cup of white vinegar
1 cup of butter
Place the finely minced shallots in a small frying pan on low heat with just enough butter to coat the bottom of the skillet. Sauté the minced shallot slowly until it turns a light golden brown. Add the minced shallot to a small sauce pot with the white vinegar and reduce by half (1/4 cup) under moderate heat. After the vinegar has been reduced, reduce the heat to low and add the butter one tablespoon at a time. Whisk until melted. When all the butter has been added, remove from the stove and serve. Makes 1-1/4 cups of sauce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 02:45 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,729,930 times
I bet this would be great raw, too. Do it with sushi-grade salmon and scallops...MMMMMmm!!

Old 01-30-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
I bet this would be great raw, too. Do it with sushi-grade salmon and scallops...MMMMMmm!!
I would not recommend eating any salmon raw. Salmon are loaded with parasites and should be cooked or smoked to an internal temperature of 165°F before eating.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I would not recommend eating any salmon raw. Salmon are loaded with parasites and should be cooked or smoked to an internal temperature of 165°F before eating.
That's why I said sushi-grade salmon.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
That's why I said sushi-grade salmon.
All salmon have parasites, there is no such thing as "sushi-grade" salmon. The best eating salmon are Reds (a.k.a. Sockeye), and they are also loaded with parasites, as are all salmon. In fact, salmon caught in the rivers are freshest when the sea-lice they carry are still alive. Sea-lice die after approximately three days in fresh water.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:24 PM

Quote:
All salmon have parasites, there is no such thing as "sushi-grade" salmon. The best eating salmon are Reds (a.k.a. Sockeye), and they are also loaded with parasites, as are all salmon. In fact, salmon caught in the rivers are freshest when the sea-lice they carry are still alive. Sea-lice die after approximately three days in fresh water.
Yes, there is such a thing as sushi-grade salmon.

Sushi grade for any seafood or salmon is a product that has been frozen at a low enough temperature or long enough, to kill any parasites that might be present in that particular species.

Tuna is the only exception to this federally mandated law.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Yes, there is such a thing as sushi-grade salmon.

Sushi grade for any seafood or salmon is a product that has been frozen at a low enough temperature or long enough, to kill any parasites that might be present in that particular species.

Tuna is the only exception to this federally mandated law.
If you want to risk your health by believing such nonsense, that is entirely up to you. However, I suggest you pay a visit to Salmon Parasites, Center for Fish Disease Research, Oregon State University (http://oregonstate.edu/dept/salmon/projects/salmon-parasites.html - broken link) and check out Figure 8 which depicts Atlantic salmon, frozen for three days, with destroyed muscle tissue caused by a Kudoa thyrsites infection.

Anyone who eats raw salmon is clearly ignorant of the risks they are taking.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:51 AM

Fair enough, we'll just have to agree to disagree, since my resources tell me that although kudoa infections can detract from the marketability of fish products, that there is no human health risk.

See: Pathology of Myxosporea in marine fish culture, Pilar Alvarez-Pellitero, Ariadna Sitja-Bobadilla. Institute de Acuicultura Torre de la Sal (C.S.I.C.), E-12595 Ribera de Cabanes, Castellon, Spain

Old 01-31-2008, 11:57 AM

Well, I suppose living in Kansas you can't be too picky about the salmon you get. Fortunately, I live where wild salmon are abundant and farming salmon is illegal, so I can afford to be picky. I eat between 150 and 200 pounds of salmon every year.

Old 01-31-2008, 03:30 PM

16,233 posts, read 27,268,699 times
Quote:
This is one of my favorite salmon recipes because it is so easy to make and doesn't require a lot of prep-time (approximately 20 minutes).
Ingredients
Red or Silver salmon fillet, approximately 1/2" thick
8 to 10 scallops (4 or 5 Alaskan scallops)
1 cup of heavy cream
1 sprig of fresh tarragon
Remove any skin on the salmon fillet. With either a fillet knife or a very thin bread knife, carefully slice the salmon fillet in half so that it is no thicker than 1/4 inch. Lay each fillet on wax paper.

Put the scallops in a blender or food mixer and add about a dozen chopped tarragon leaves. Slowly add the heavy cream as the scallops are blended so that it forms a smooth paste. You don't want it to be runny, you want it to be about the same consistency of mayonnaise.

Spread an even coat of the scallop paste over the salmon fillets. Using the wax paper, slowly roll the salmon fillets. (Note: Keep the wax paper on the outside of the salmon roll, don't roll the wax paper inside) Twist the ends of the wax paper to keep the salmon rolls tight, and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to firm up.

Pre-heat the oven to 350°F. Place the salmon rolls in a casserole dish or baking dish, with the wax paper still on, and place in the middle of the oven for approximately 20 to 25 minutes.

Remove the salmon rolls from the oven, remove the wax paper, and carefully slice the salmon roll into 1/2" medallions and arrange on the plate. Cover with a White Butter Sauce and garnish each medallion with a couple tarragon leaves. Add some freshly ground white pepper and a little sea salt to taste. Serve with rice pilaf. Serves 2.
White Butter Sauce
1 shallot (minced)
1/2 cup of white vinegar
1 cup of butter
Place the finely minced shallots in a small frying pan on low heat with just enough butter to coat the bottom of the skillet. Sauté the minced shallot slowly until it turns a light golden brown. Add the minced shallot to a small sauce pot with the white vinegar and reduce by half (1/4 cup) under moderate heat. After the vinegar has been reduced, reduce the heat to low and add the butter one tablespoon at a time. Whisk until melted. When all the butter has been added, remove from the stove and serve. Makes 1-1/4 cups of sauce.
Are you by any chance single and male, Glitch? If so, you go to the head of the line with that recipe! Sounds so good. Do you make it with the entire length of the fillet from the fish? I am trying to imagine how thick the roll should be and I am guessing it depends on how long the fillet of fish is.

That stuff about the salmon/parasite thing is interesting too - I eat raw salmon nearly every week, and hadn't noticed anything growing around my person that looked like a parasite - is it possible that the occurrence of this is extremely rare? I have heard about a fish-borne parasite that can attack the cornea, but I think that was fresh water fish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes