U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 09:09 AM

1,393 posts, read 2,536,560 times

Advertisements

I need some help in finding some good Crabcake Recipes....I have looked online but not being a cook I can't tell a good recipe from a bad one just by reading it. Thanks for any help you can give me....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 10:12 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,928,266 times
If you buy fresh (not canned) flaked crab, there is usually a recipe on the canister.
If you are using live crabs and do not have a recipe, look online for anything that uses Worcerstershire sauce, mustard, lemon, and at least one egg.
Sometimes paprika, as well, but you don't want too much.
I make a variation of the recipes below--the amounts may change according to what I have on hand. I always fry them in butter, though.
Different folks go for different tastes, but those flavors, IMHO, are the best ones to be combined with crab.

Here is an example:
Crab Cake Recipe

Here is another:
Crab Cake recipe

Old 01-31-2008, 10:20 AM

1,393 posts, read 2,536,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
If you buy fresh (not canned) flaked crab, there is usually a recipe on the canister.
If you are using live crabs and do not have a recipe, look online for anything that uses Worcerstershire sauce, mustard, lemon, and at least one egg.
Sometimes paprika, as well, but you don't want too much.
I make a variation of the recipes below--the amounts may change according to what I have on hand. I always fry them in butter, though.
Different folks go for different tastes, but those flavors, IMHO, are the best ones to be combined with crab.

Here is an example:
Crab Cake Recipe

Here is another:
Crab Cake recipe
Thanks for you help. I live by the Gulf Coast and will be using fresh crab meat from a fish market...We have just never been able to find a recipe that we really liked...Again thanks for your help....

Old 02-04-2008, 08:05 PM

37,135 posts, read 45,664,410 times
I'll be watching for the responses to this too. I think it's hard to find a crab cake in which the additives don't overpower the flavor of the crab.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:22 PM

18,270 posts, read 20,599,701 times
Thumbs up WW Crab cakes

This is a Weight Watchers recipe that we enjoyed when I was on the program. Makes 2 dozen cakes and are one point each if you are on WW.

Crab Cakes
1 T. Margarine
1/3 c. Chopped onions, fine
1/3 c. Chopped celery
1/3 c. Chopped bell pepper
1 c. Soft bread crumbs
1/2 c. Bisquick
2 t. Worchestershire sauce
1/4 t. Ground black pepper
1/4 t. Salt
2 lg Eggs, slightly beaten
1 14 oz. Crabmeat, chopped

Heat oven to 400. Generously grease 2 cookies sheets. Melt margarine in skillet; add onions, celery and bell pepper, cook until crisp tender. Mix vegetable mixture and remaining ingredients. Shape mixture into 1 1/2" patties. Place on cookie sheets, bake about 12 minutes, turning once until golden brown.

Old 02-09-2008, 02:48 PM

1,641 posts, read 4,596,918 times
Have you tried Paula Deen's? I'm thinking that's the last ones I made, and I found them to be really tasty. I've tried the ones from the Gov. of Maryland, and did not care for them.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:43 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,130,525 times
I made Paula Deen's crab cakes and found them to be good too.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:20 PM

28,227 posts, read 19,623,505 times
These are good-
1 lb crab
1 c mayo
1 T dijon mustard or dry mustard
1 egg beaten
1 tsp worstershire
1 tsp Old Bay seasoning
lemon juice
7 saltines crushed
2 T parsley

Put crab in bowl. Mix rest and add to crab. Chill 2 hrs.
Form 6-8 cakes. Place on buttered cookie sheet.
Bake 450 til golden.
Can also pan fry.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:44 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,558,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
These are good-
1 lb crab
1 c mayo
1 T dijon mustard or dry mustard
1 egg beaten
1 tsp worstershire
1 tsp Old Bay seasoning
lemon juice
7 saltines crushed
2 T parsley

Put crab in bowl. Mix rest and add to crab. Chill 2 hrs.
Form 6-8 cakes. Place on buttered cookie sheet.
Bake 450 til golden.
Can also pan fry.
This, exactly. Only I would add some celery, chopped very fine and would never bake a crab cake; always pan fry.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:55 PM

17,815 posts, read 8,894,085 times
Quote:
Ingredients

1 lb lump crabmeat (Starting with two 2 lb crabs, we cracked them and got about 1 1/4 lb of lump crab meet)
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
1/2 small onion, chopped
1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon of paprika
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbsp prepared tartar sauce
2 slices firm white sandwich bread torn into small pieces
6 Tbsp fresh bread crumbs
1 Teaspoon Old Bay or to taste

Method

1 Pick over the crabmeat to remove any bits of shell and cartilage, being careful not to break up the lumps of crab.
2 Cook the onion and 1/2 of the teaspoon of salt in 1 Tbsp of butter in a small skillet, over medium high heat, until the onion is softened. Let it cool.
3 Whisk together the eggs, Worcestershire sauce, remaining salt, paprika, pepper, tartar sauce, and onion mixture. Gently fold in the crabmeat and torn bread. Note that the mixture will be very wet. Gently form the mixture into six cakes, each about 3 1/2 inches across and 3/4 inches thick. Line a tray with a piece of wax paper just large enough to hold the cakes and sprinkle it with half of the bread crumbs. Set the crab cakes in one layer on the top of the paper and sprinkle with the remaining bread crumbs. Cover the crab cakes loosely with another sheet of wax paper and chill for one hour.
4 Melt the remaning 3 Tbsp of butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat until the foam subsides. Cook the crab cakes until golden brown, about 3 minutes on each side.
Makes 6 crab cakes.

I grew up crabbing in the backwater bays of southern New Jersey and the Chesapeake bay. Its best to steam the crabs then pick the meat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or