U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 10:48 PM

358 posts, read 241,885 times

Advertisements

I usually do something like pearl onions,celery,onions,garlic,bay leaf,peppercorn , beef chuck roast or short ribs, good red wine, strong beef stock. Sometimes I brown the meat in bacon fat sometimes just a little oil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 10:49 PM

491 posts, read 243,057 times
I like to make my stew with either cubed beef or cubed venison meat, and the following ingredients...

BEEF STEW (OR) VENISON STEW

1-1/2 lbs. beef or venison stew meat, cut into 3/4" pcs.
1/2 cup flour
2-3 tablespoons shortening (add more if need be)
salt and pepper, season according to taste
1 medium onion, chopped fine
several large dashes of Worcestershire sauce
6 cups hot water
2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
pinch of dried thyme
1 bay leaf
1 Tbsp. lemon juice (This tenderizes the meat while cooking)
4 whole cloves
5 carrots, sliced thin
4 medium-sized potatoes, cubed small
1/2 to 1 green, or yellow bell pepper, chopped fine
1 stalk celery, sliced thin
1 (4 oz.) can mushroom stems & pieces, drained
1 (14.5 oz.) can whole tomatoes, cut up
1/2 cup frozen peas, optional (*See note)
4 tablespoons flour (I use cornstarch)
1/2 cup cold water
1 tsp. Kitchen Bouquet Browning & Seasoning Sauce (opt.)

Coat beef stew meat (or venison stew meat) with flour.

In a large skillet, melt the shortening.

Add the flour coated meat; season with salt and pepper.

When the meat is almost browned, add onions, and finish browning.

Add the Worcestershire sauce, and stir for another minute.

Transfer to a 5 quart Dutch Oven, or a large soup kettle.

Add the hot water, bouillon granules, thyme, bay leaf, lemon juice, and whole cloves.

Bring to a boil, cover, then reduce heat to a simmer, and cook for 2 hours.

Add the carrots, potatoes, green peppers, celery, mushrooms and tomatoes.

Cover, and simmer 1-1/2 hours.

Remove the bay leaf and whole cloves at this point, then bring back to a boil.

Combine the flour and cold water, and add this to the boiling stew; stirring constantly.

Finally add the Kitchen Bouquet, and thoroughly mix through.

Serves 8 - 10.

*Note: Sometimes you'll only need 3 tablespoons of flour, mixed with 1/3 cup cold water to thicken the stew. Also, if wanting to add peas to the stew, add the frozen peas within the last 20 minutes of cooking time (while the vegetables are simmering).

Last edited by 1DomesticGoddess; 11-12-2015 at 11:22 PM..

Old 11-12-2015, 11:27 PM

26,160 posts, read 15,299,435 times
Thumbs up  

MMMMMMMMMMMMMM I love it THICK and delicious

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Old 11-13-2015, 03:04 PM

17,478 posts, read 20,838,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandCityGirl View Post
Chuck makes the best stew meat, hands down. If you want a stew that is extra rich & special, follow Dirt Grinder's advice to use short ribs (or oxtail, for that matter). That would be completely tender and delicious, but cubes of chuck are the perfect cut for tender, flavorful, "traditional" beef stew.
Chuck is what I will buy next time. I have not made in so long because of the toughness of the meat I was buying. Thanks.

Old 11-13-2015, 05:28 PM

7,104 posts, read 9,314,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Beef.
Everything else is just "window dressing".
However, no turnips or parsnips, EVER!!
I feel people are bound to have strong opinions on "pot herbs" or root vegetables. I would much rather add a parsnip than an onion, myself.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:26 PM

11,012 posts, read 17,501,056 times
Chuck roast, lots of mushrooms, onion, celery, bay leaf, oregano, red wine, flour for thickener. Fresh Italian parsley on top at the end. I find root veggies just get in the way, and serve stew with big chunks of French bread.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:33 PM

838 posts, read 1,014,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
I was at the diner today and the special was beef stew. I hesitated because their stew is so weird. To me, a beef stew has beef, potatoes, carrots, pepper, celery and bay leaf, period dot. To them, it appears to have a heavy tomato sauce and a proprietary blend of herbs -- I see curled parsley, maybe basil in there, quite a few I can't identify, as if the beef stew I think of as familiar had been tragically drowned in an industrial tomato-sauce spill.

Is this just an average beef stew in other people's opinions? What are your special touches?
Exactly what you have listed, with the exception of adding peas, onion and a half a teaspoon of cumin (it doesn't look like a lot of people here add cumin to theirs).

Old 11-18-2015, 04:55 PM

26,160 posts, read 15,299,435 times
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

I like Carrots,potatos,etc............. In mine!!

Old 11-20-2015, 06:01 AM

36,479 posts, read 43,601,063 times
My husband loves lots and lots of carrots in my beef stew but I have to make sure they don't turn to mush. I like the idea of preparing the veggies separately and then mixing it all together at serving time.

I used to put potatoes in my stew but now I like to make a BIG mess of mashed potatoes and serve stew over that. This gives me leftover mashed potatoes for later in the week for fritters, pancakes, etc.

Old 11-20-2015, 01:43 PM

765 posts, read 439,142 times
We like a thick stew of beef, onions, garlic, carrots, celery, onions, potato. Husband likes canned tomatoes. I'll dish up my bowl, then add tomatoes to the rest.
I saw a picture of nice thick stew this morning that had barley in it. Going to try adding a cup of barley toward the end next time I make stew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes