Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 12:02 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times

Advertisements

Dressing, not stuffing, as I bake it in a pan and do not stuff a bird. And I only make/eat one kind, my grandma's cornbread, sage, and onion dressing.

I don't use premade Pepperidge Farm or otherwise bread cubes for it; it is made by baking pans of cornbread (savory southern style with white cornmeal baked in a greased cast iron skillet, not sweetened yellow cornbread) a couple of days in advance and crumbling it.

Other ingredients are broth, rubbed sage, onion, celery. It's so good. I don't like dressing/stuffing made with regular yeast bread cubes at all...only cornbread. With regular bread, it's too gummy a texture for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 04:37 AM

4,691 posts, read 3,468,109 times
We call it stuffing. When I cook a bird for just my family I use Bell's stuffing. I add celery, onions and cranberries. I also love it stuffed in the bird. This is how my dad always made it and it tastes like home to me. When we have company I make the stuffing from scratch in a crock pot. I like to make the bread cubes from Martin's potato bread. I keep the celery, onions and cranberries and I use a lot of Bell's seasoning.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:53 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
I was taught that stuffing a bird is unhealthy- something about the meat doesn't cook all the way with stuffing in.
We call it dressing and I use a wonderful sausage, apple, walnut combination with veggies and cornbread.

Today I will make my cornbread for the stuffing. years ago we were guests for Thanksgiving meal and the hostess made from -scratch cornbread for the stuffing.
And she had 3 little kids to wrangle too. I thought it was good but certainly not worth all the trouble. I always used pepperidge Farm.

But lately I like to make my own cornbread for stuffing.. I make a double batch- one for now and one for 2 days before Thansgiving which gives it time to dry out a bit.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:59 AM

Also have to add. I learned a new word today....spatchcocking. Never even heard it or read it in my entire life. BUT I have always heard of removing the backbone...just never that word.

Spatchcocking a Chicken - Video - NYTimes.com

Old 11-24-2015, 07:42 AM

Just asked my husband if he had ever heard of spatchcocking(no) and to offer a definition. He asked "Is it legal?" and then guessed it was a new way to reserve a vasectomy. I almost lost it.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:50 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,450,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Just asked my husband if he had ever heard of spatchcocking(no) and to offer a definition. He asked "Is it legal?" and then guessed it was a new way to reserve a vasectomy. I almost lost it.
I am laughing my head off! I just choked on my water - oh no kudzu, he's a treasure!

Old 11-24-2015, 09:19 AM

802 posts, read 642,142 times
Saute diced onions, celery, carrots, broccoli, and garlic in half a stick of butter. Toss in a tin of smoked oysters. Add 1 1/2 cups chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Add pouch of Stove Top stuffing mix. Mix everything up good and stuff bird.

Have no idea why I *must* have chopped broccoli in stuffing. Never had it that way growing up.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:52 AM

6,489 posts, read 8,808,426 times
Pepperidge Farm Herb Seasoned stuffing mix. 1/2 stick of butter, celery, onions, mushrooms, cooked in the butter. Add broth, heat, and mix into stuffing mix. Parsley flakes, poultry seasoning. Turn into a buttered casserole dish and bake @350 for 30 minutes.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:09 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,850,819 times
It is stuffing if it cooks inside the bird and dressing if it cooks in a pan outside the bird.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:21 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Northeast Texas here - with family from north Louisiana, southwest Arkansas, and northeast Texas:

We call it dressing.

It is very simple - and this recipe wasn't even written down till I wrote it down about five years ago. It is at least five generations old - maybe older.

Cornbread, made a couple of days earlier in an iron skillet (2 pans - NOT sweet cornbread!)
Boiled eggs, very finely chopped (about 6)
Chicken boiled in stock - save the stock (save it all)
Onions and celery very finely chopped (about three or four cups total - this is flexible)
Salt and pepper to taste

Those are the only ingredients - not even any spices. Honestly, if you'd told me this would be so good it would make you want to cry with joy, I would never have believed you. NEVER!

Sautee onions and celery in butter, set aside
Crumble up cornbread very finely
Be sure the eggs are chopped very finely too

The key to this dressing is that it's very smooth and velvety, because everything is chopped so finely

Anyway, take the chicken off the bones. Set aside the larger pieces. Chop up other pieces very finely. You can chop up the giblets very finely too and throw them in if you like.

Mix everything together in the biggest bowl you can find (except the large pieces of chicken). Wet them down with plenty of stock - you want the mixture to be goopy, almost able to be poured but not quite. I usually use about six cups of stock.

Salt and pepper to taste - you can taste it if you like since everything is already cooked anyway. Set aside about two cups of the dressing.

Pour the rest into two big baking pans. Lay larger pieces of chicken on top. Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes.

Serve with gravy made from the rest of the stock. Mix in the set aside dressing into it as a thickener.

The consistency of this dressing will be a lot like spoon bread. This is not a dry, savory dressing. It's something you spoon out of the pan. It will get brown on top and around the edges and you may have to cover it with foil for the last fifteen minutes or so.

THIS IS OLD SCHOOL SOUTHERN COUNTRY. It sounds too simple and plain to even be good but I promise you, it is delicious. It is my honor to pass it down to my kids and grandkids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes