U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 01:42 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,103,204 times

Advertisements

My mom had a terrific recipe for cheesecake. I hadn't used it in years, and when I tried to a few days ago I got flummoxed by this ingredient:
2 large and 1 small pkgs. cream cheese

Apparently, the recipe was written back in the day when Philadelphia Cream Cheese came in 2 sizes. The only size I see in any store I've been to recently is 8 oz.

So my question is: what do you think large and small are, in ounces? I'm guessing 16 and 8, but am hoping that there are some People of a Certain Age out there who might be able to remove the guesswork.

Here are the other ingredients (minus the crust). They might give some sense of proportion, etc.:
  • 3 tbsp flour
  • pinch salt
  • 1.5 cups + 3 tbsp sugar
  • 1 pint sour cream
  • 6 eggs
  • "vanilla" (no mention of how much)

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 01:49 PM

2,895 posts, read 1,731,857 times
Based on other cheesecake recipes I've made and the other ingredients you listed, I'm going to say 2 large and 1 small = 2 8oz. packages, 1 4oz. package. My mom and best friend agree (my mom loves to eat them, my best friend likes to make them).

Old 12-04-2015, 01:53 PM
Status: "DUMP TRUMP and his lackey, Barr" (set 9 hours ago)

8,823 posts, read 11,581,883 times
I recall the small squares as being 3 oz.

Old 12-04-2015, 01:58 PM

32,903 posts, read 61,303,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
Apparently, the recipe was written back in the day when Philadelphia Cream Cheese came in 2 sizes. The only size I see in any store I've been to recently is 8 oz.

So my question is: what do you think large and small are, in ounces?
Large is 8 oz., small is 3 oz. You want a total of 19 oz. of cream cheese.

Old 12-04-2015, 02:08 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,894,951 times
I second Missy2U. It used to come in 4 oz. sizes but I'm not sure if it does anymore.

I would avoid the whipped product for baking because you're paying for air so you can't tell the exact amount of cheese you are getting.

Oh, those old recipes that were passed from friend to friend! I remember my mom calling me one day and asking, "What's a nickel-sized chocolate bar?"

Edit: I stand corrected about the three oz. size.

Old 12-04-2015, 02:56 PM

23,747 posts, read 30,507,223 times
If it is an older recipe, the large is 8 ounces and the small 4 ounces. If the small is 3 ounces today, I haven't noticed, but I will believe it without checking.

Vanilla will be 1 teaspoon. Vanilla can also be to taste. Some people want a more pronounced vanilla taste, but 1teaspoon would be standard for that amount of cream cheese.

Veering off topic, I have an excellent old recipe for fudge that calls for mixing it in a yellow bowl. That flummoxes young cooks who can't understand why the bowl has to be yellow. Makes me giggle behind my hand.

Old 12-04-2015, 03:03 PM

23,747 posts, read 30,507,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
........ "What's a nickel-sized chocolate bar?"........
Candy bars have shrunk so badly, that you probably can't buy a nickel size chocolate bar any more. Three Musketeers, costing a nickel, used to advertise that it was big enough for three friends to share. Later on, that size of Three Musketeers could still be bought for a dollar, but I don't think that size is still available. A dollar bar is now about 1/3 that size.

I think you'd have to research how much a bar of chocolate used to weigh and go from there. The individual bars are now much smaller, but I don't know how much they used to weigh.

Old 12-04-2015, 03:30 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,103,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If it is an older recipe, the large is 8 ounces and the small 4 ounces. If the small is 3 ounces today, I haven't noticed, but I will believe it without checking.

Vanilla will be 1 teaspoon. Vanilla can also be to taste. Some people want a more pronounced vanilla taste, but 1teaspoon would be standard for that amount of cream cheese.

Veering off topic, I have an excellent old recipe for fudge that calls for mixing it in a yellow bowl. That flummoxes young cooks who can't understand why the bowl has to be yellow. Makes me giggle behind my hand.
Yes, I should have mentioned this in the original post - the recipe is old, c. 1970's.

Sort of makes sense, given the supersizing of everything these days, that yesterday's "large" (8 oz) would be today's "normal" (the same 8 oz. that was the only size I could find).

Thanks, everyone, for your helpful (and prompt) suggestions!

Old 12-06-2015, 01:13 AM

153 posts, read 159,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
My mom had a terrific recipe for cheesecake. I hadn't used it in years, and when I tried to a few days ago I got flummoxed by this ingredient:
2 large and 1 small pkgs. cream cheese

So my question is: what do you think large and small are, in ounces? I'm guessing 16 and 8, but am hoping that there are some People of a Certain Age out there who might be able to remove the guesswork.

Here are the other ingredients (minus the crust). They might give some sense of proportion, etc.:
  • 3 tbsp flour
  • pinch salt
  • 1.5 cups + 3 tbsp sugar
  • 1 pint sour cream
  • 6 eggs
  • "vanilla" (no mention of how much)

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
If you're absolutely set on using this recipe, a few things I can suggest are:

- use three 8 oz Philly Cream Cheese packages
- lightly beat the 6 eggs before adding it to the batter last (this minimizes overbeating the batter)
- go 'head and use a tbsp of vanilla

Good luck!

Old 12-09-2015, 12:17 AM

26,590 posts, read 25,267,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

The yellow mixing bowl was the large one. There were four colors and four sizes in the set. I can't remember the brand. I had my mom's yellow bowl until a few years ago...when some inebriated sod knocked it off the counter. I miss the yellow bowl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or