Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2020, 03:05 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,798,807 times

Advertisements

I'm making nachos for dinner. I know my husband would prefer a Delmonico steak with some grilled fresh asparagus, or cioppino, but I don't happen to have the stuff I need to make either of those. I do happen to have the stuff I need to make easy-peasy dinner nachos.
- written for people who have little cooking experience.

1 lb ground beef (or ground meat of choice)
1 pkt taco seasoning mix
some of your favorite salsa
tortilla chips
Mexican blend or cheddar cheese
chopped lettuce
diced tomato
plus whatever nacho toppings you wish to add, like green onions or olives, for example

Heat your oven to @350 degrees. If you can't use an oven, use a microwave.

Brown your meat in a frying pan or wide saucepan, then dump the meat in a strainer to remove the excess fat. If you don't have a strainer, just figure out how to do it without one. Return meat to pan.
Next add your packet of taco seasoning following the instructions on the packet.
Next, spoon some of your favorite salsa into the meat mixture. How much is up to you, just don't add too much unless you want your nachos loose and gloppy so you can eat them with a spoon.

Spread some tortilla chips onto a baking sheet (preferably lined with parchment so you don't have to clean the pan.) If you have a frying pan that can go into the oven or a baking dish you can use that instead.
Spoon your meat filling onto the tortilla chips. If you've eaten nachos you'll know what this should look like.

Now add some cheese.
Next you can spoon on more salsa. There are 2 schools of thought on this. Some like the salsa to bake in onto the mixture and get nice and warm and blend with the melted cheese, others prefer to spoon the salsa on after baking. It's up to you.

Place your nachos in the oven, just till the cheese starts to melt. It doesn't take very long. I've never timed it myself, it's not rocket science. Contrariwise, you can warm your concotion in the microwave.

After you've removed your pan from the heat source, you can dish it out and top it with chopped lettuce, tomatoes, and whatever else you want. A dab of sour cream on top is nice, and maybe a drizzle of cheese sauce. I've found warmed up Fritos cheese sauce in the can is acceptable for that added smooth creamy cheese texture.

Note: if you're single, just use the amount of prepared meat mixture you want for one meal, put the rest in the fridge for another time. Don't make all the nachos at once, then try to reheat them. That will suck.

I added this last note because when my 27 year old son didn't see the big jug of laundry detergent he decided to use the little jug instead. As a result he used Downey fabric softener to wash 2 loads of his clothes. When I pointed out his error he shrugged and said it wasn't like he'd gotten his clothes really dirty or anything, and they did come out soft & smelling nice.
His father would have made the same mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2020, 01:49 PM

305 posts, read 294,520 times
No guacamole?

Old 07-20-2020, 03:34 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,383,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qazz12 View Post
No guacamole?
No jalapenos?!?!

Old 07-21-2020, 12:00 PM

8,752 posts, read 5,046,098 times
I just put the nachos, under the broiler, for two minutes....I like them a little crispy.

Old 07-21-2020, 01:15 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,232,991 times
My local Chihuahua Cerveza offers a family meal deal on nachos, esquites, beans, rice, and a 6-pack or growler of their beer for $20. We pay a $2 upcharge from grilled mahi mahi since my wife is a pescatarian. In addition to your ingredient list, I would include sliced jalapeños, and a nice crema. I usually mix sour cream with some lemon/lime zest and juice to thin out, then season it with salt & pepper and a dash of cumin.

We've been going there once a week to help them use up all their kegs of beer since COVID has made bar operations difficult. Chihuahua had a nice outdoor patio section, and they've converted about 8 parking spaces into a nice outdoor biergarten.

https://www.chihuahuacerveza.com/family-meals

Old 07-22-2020, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
My local Chihuahua Cerveza offers a family meal deal on nachos, esquites, beans, rice, and a 6-pack or growler of their beer for $20. We pay a $2 upcharge from grilled mahi mahi since my wife is a pescatarian.

https://www.chihuahuacerveza.com/family-meals
Hello. I your esquite pic, it looks like corn with cilantro, it doesn't look like a traditional esquite, with corn, chile de árbol or piquín, and epazote. These ingredients are the signature of the esquite. I you change epazote for cilantro, this is not an esquite.

Old 07-22-2020, 08:49 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,081,661 times
Quote:
Hello. I your esquite pic, it looks like corn with cilantro, it doesn't look like a traditional esquite, with corn, chile de árbol or piquín, and epazote. These ingredients are the signature of the esquite. I you change epazote for cilantro, this is not an esquite.
You know, if they use the ingredients they want, they can call it what they want. Epazote isn't available everywhere. Cilantro is a good substitute. There are several chilis in the Yucatan that aren't available in this country, are you saying a dish that calls for them and made with a substitute can't be called the same dish?

Old 07-22-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
You know, if they use the ingredients they want, they can call it what they want. Epazote isn't available everywhere. Cilantro is a good substitute. There are several chilis in the Yucatan that aren't available in this country, are you saying a dish that calls for them and made with a substitute can't be called the same dish?
You can call a dish what you want and use the ingredients what you want, this is how new dishes are formed.
The traditional ingredients used in traditional dishes are not interchangeable.

Old 07-22-2020, 10:30 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,081,661 times
Quote:
You can call a dish what you want and use the ingredients what you want, this is how new dishes are formed.
The traditional ingredients used in traditional dishes are not interchangeable.
Who sets the "traditional" ingredients? I base "traditional" on how a family makes a certain dish. That is their tradition! If the neighbor next door makes a slightly different dish, but call it the same, it is that family's tradition. I created a dish called "Lobster Diablo", when I posted the recipe, I mentioned that folks make changes to the ingredients and cooking method to make it "their own". Doesn't change the name of the original dish, it is still "lobster Diablo". I happen to use spiny lobster, but Maine lobster and other lobster throughout the world can be substituted and it is still the same dish. Maybe they want to use different colored bell peppers or not use the white wine. It is still "Lobster Diablo" There are many recipes for NOLA BBQed shrimp. We prefer Emeril's recipe over Paul Prudhomme's, it is still BBQed Shrimp. I will never let myself get hung up on so called "traditional" ingredients.

Old 07-22-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa
Who sets the "traditional" ingredients? I base "traditional" on how a family makes a certain dish.
Maybe you, but culinary schools and culinary textbooks do not.

Quote:
That is their tradition! If the neighbor next door makes a slightly different dish, but call it the same, it is that family's tradition.
Almost no one rejects culinary family traditions, we are all open to these.

Quote:
I will never let myself get hung up on so called "traditional" ingredients.
That is why traditional dishes have survived, because their foundations have been respected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes