Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 11:15 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,452,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Next trick is to buy some peppers and put them into the smoker and make chipotle.

I've got that mad scientist thing going on. Rubbing my hands together with glee and plotting about what goes into the smoker next.
You'd best keep us informed, my friend - I'm reading this with great interest! I have a smoker, you see, that has never been used - I'm thinking that should change very, very soon after reading your posts on your results! Keep on smoking (and telling us about it)!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 07:05 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,530,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Yee gads, is this stuff delicious! Smoky, salty, vague hint of sweet.

It's not quite bacon. It has to be gently sauteed. Because of the lack of fat, you can't fry it crispy. It has the texture of the meat part of bacon.

You have to rinse all the salt off before you smoke it. On one of the pieces the cracked pepper wouldn't come off, so I rinsed the salt and thought it would just be pepper bacon. I swear, it tastes just like pastrami. Pastrami is beef, though, isn't it?
Our meat processor makes "shoulder bacon" along with all other cured items whenever he processes a pig for us.

We use it as a breakfast meat and also in grilled sandwiches with melted cheese & occasionally as "Canadian bacon" with pineapple on pizza.

He slices it really thin & wraps it in one pound packages & freezes it. It is very similar to pastrami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes