U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 09:35 PM

6 posts, read 3,799 times

Advertisements

Wow ! It's nice recipe to make pickle tasty and delicious .I will definitely try this recipe...Good one. Keep post !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 05:05 AM

71,683 posts, read 83,244,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shira_k View Post
Thanks for this! This is how we always made pickles when I was growing up. We always added a few dill sprigs.

Very important to make sure all the bottles and covers are sterilized. And very important not to put your hand into the jar when you pull out a pickle, always use a clean utensil.
true and the fresher the pickle, the better the crispness regardless of how you process them.

Old 02-03-2016, 02:37 PM

3,758 posts, read 3,481,917 times
No one's mentioned this yet, but one of the best things about fermenting is the huge amounts of probiotics you'll eat, which are very good for the digestive system. Some claim probiotics are not just good for digestion but also help with skin problems, even cognitive problems like depression.

Be all that as it may, we humans were eating probiotics most of our existence. Probably the earliest cavemen and cavewomen who were snacking on raw edible leaves and berries were ingesting valuable bacteria and yeasts, and later on when humans began storing these veggies and fruits in caves, piled up in a corner or in moist pits or skull bowls, perhaps mixed with sea water, it began to really ferment and pickle, and Pleistocene people discovered it was a great way to preserve food over the long winter months.

We, today, in our sterile modern world tend not to get the same quantities of bacteria and yeasts in our diets, so we should strive to eat more yogurt, sauerkraut, salt pickles, kimchee, etc., to get those lactobacillus and bifidobacteria back into the gut.

Old 02-03-2016, 03:19 PM

15,011 posts, read 18,864,729 times
Has anybody ever used one of these? I don't make kimchee very often, and I've never made pickles or sauerkraut, but if it was easier. . .

Robot Check

Old 02-03-2016, 04:29 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,832,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Has anybody ever used one of these? I don't make kimchee very often, and I've never made pickles or sauerkraut, but if it was easier. . .
Buy it and tell us.
I just use half gallon jars, with standard lids, for kimchi. Mamma O's sells a kimchi kit that includes a half gallon jar with an air lock lid and a regular lid.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:24 AM

811 posts, read 721,731 times
Oh man, this thread is making me hungry for sauerkraut and kimchi now!

I've never used any fancy, vacuum-sealed, clamping-lids or anything like that for sauerkraut. Just a 5-gallon, food-grade plastic bucket with a towel over the top for a "lid", cabbage, salt, and a plate with rocks or water-filled jars (sterile, whatever you choose) on it to weigh down the cabbage a bit. Then you let the bacterial war begin! Lactobacillus will eventually win the war and get rid of any potential "bad bugs" that could be trying to infiltrate (just like making sourdough starter). Just remove any scum or foam on the top as it forms.

You will know if something has gone awry with the bacterial "war," trust me. Color, smell, all of it will be "off" if lactobacillus hasn't warded off the bad guys.

BTW - That pickle recipe looks great! I love the flavor and crunchiness of cold-pack pickles!

Last edited by IslandCityGirl; 02-04-2016 at 11:54 AM..

Old 02-07-2016, 12:52 PM

3,758 posts, read 3,481,917 times
Day five and the cuke pickles are looking good! Brine is slightly fizzy, milky from lactic acid produced by lactobacillus bacteria.

Cucumber pickles, salt-fermented?-img_20160207_144319.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or