U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 08:45 PM

11,093 posts, read 10,134,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquesmountainapache View Post
Everyone's peppers look good! I've had them with pretty much the same variations that are mentioned in all threads. Going back to the OP -- somewhere along the line I have seen people put tops back on the peppers. Maybe it was just for looks? I'll try to think and ask my two main "cooking buddies".
I've done a number of different variations, too. Adding different vegetables usually. Some recipes call for bread crumbs instead of rice. I prefer rice. Mom used to put the tops back on before cooking so that's the way I do it. She said it kept them from drying out. I'll have to try it without the tops to see if her theory was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Here is a recipe that is pretty close to what we grew up on. My parents had certain dishes like stuffed peppers, stuffed cabbage, etc. that was a family participation event. We would all have a role in getting it all together, and we'd always make enough for at least three meals because they always tasted better and better each day.

Töltött Paprika Recipe (Hungarian stuffed peppers) | Hungary | Whats4Eats
Love stuffed cabbage, too!

I've never tried Hungarian Paprika. That would change up the flavor, for sure. Might have to look for it in the speciality section in the store because I haven't seen it in the regular spice aisle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 05:05 AM

71,683 posts, read 83,244,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelanieGermany View Post
The filling: mixed minced meat ( pork and beef), onion cubes, mustard, salt, pepper, whole egg, some garlic, and a wheat bun (?) which needs to watered, then squeezed (?). Mix together and stuff firmly (?) in the peppers.

Buy peppers with a flat bottom that they can stand alone in the pot!

Burn some more onion cubes and bacon cubes in oil in a pot. When browned, put the filled peppers in the pot and add hot water until peppers are HALF covered with water ( not that water comes inside while cooking!) Add some beef broth and tomatoe puree. Let cook at half / medium heat for about 20 minutes. When peppers are tender, remove from pot and add a little bit of white wine ( i love wine in my dishes) and cream. Stir. let cook for a moment, ENJOY.

Recipe from GERMANY
they look yummy, but a little different from how I make them. First of all we usually stuff them with meat and rice (of course the onion etc) and I bake mine in the over, but I have done them in the micro a few times. I am considering having them this next week in fact...

Nita

Old 08-25-2012, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I think that I have had them with rice and ground beef, onions, tomatoes. They were very basic but tasted sooooo good!
That is the basic recipe, with or without the tops on and I have never heard of cheese on them....

Old 08-25-2012, 07:02 AM

5,037 posts, read 7,720,931 times
I make them fairly often, in the crockpot. I don't top mine with cheese, nor do I put the tops back on. Since I overfill the peppers, the tops wouldn't fit back on anyway.

I cut the pepper from around the top stems and dice them, freeze, and add them to other dishes.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:58 AM

6,772 posts, read 11,865,604 times
I chop the tops and add them to the meat mixture. I use a blend of beef, pork, and veal. Tomatoes, onions, garlic, rice, worchesterchire (sp?), salt, pepper, etc. I don't use a recipe tho. I can't tell when it's right.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:48 AM

634 posts, read 1,492,937 times
i like to have the rice on the side, or what are you having on the side instead?

Old 08-25-2012, 10:35 AM

36,472 posts, read 43,558,753 times
I used to make stuffed peppers with meat, rice and swiss cheese. They were really good but DH started fussing about peppers talking back to him so I haven't made them in ages. I bet my girls would love them, especially the red or yellow ones.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:08 PM

6,772 posts, read 11,865,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelanieGermany View Post
i like to have the rice on the side, or what are you having on the side instead?
My husband likes them with mashed potatoes, same as with meatloaf or cabbage rolls.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
I chop the tops and add them to the meat mixture. I use a blend of beef, pork, and veal. Tomatoes, onions, garlic, rice, worchesterchire (sp?), salt, pepper, etc. I don't use a recipe tho. I can't tell when it's right.
my daughter just chops the tops and puts the pieces back on, but not the entire top...

Old 08-25-2012, 02:31 PM

634 posts, read 1,492,937 times
applesauce in stuffed green peppers seems very very strange to me :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes