U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-22-2016, 05:21 AM
 
Location: Coastal Georgia
37,134 posts, read 45,664,410 times
Reputation: 61818

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
I made it years ago and it was so sweet we couldn't eat it.
I agree about the sweetness. You can't get away without the condensed milk, or the sugar in the pudding, but I would not sweeten the whipped cream next time, so that would help a little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-02-2018, 02:16 PM
 
Location: Massachusetts
3,673 posts, read 2,070,871 times
Reputation: 11826
I am reviving this thread. I am thinking of making Paula Deen's banana pudding https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-1912976
I am making it for a Independence Day BBQ. It looks so much easier then my usual banana pudding so I am a little leary. Did it turn out ok for those who made it?
I am making it for a crowd that to be honest have kind of pedestrian tastes. Most of the other dishes will probably be store made. So do you think it work for this kind of crowd?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2018, 02:27 PM
 
Location: Coastal Georgia
37,134 posts, read 45,664,410 times
Reputation: 61818
I have made it and I liked it. It is a step up from the usual yellow glop with vanilla wafers. The chessmen cookies seem to hold up well without getting as soggy.
Cool whip is fine for this.
I made it in a 13x9 and lined up the cookies in nice precise rows, which I found oddly satisfying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2018, 02:53 PM
 
Location: Massachusetts
3,673 posts, read 2,070,871 times
Reputation: 11826
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have made it and I liked it. It is a step up from the usual yellow glop with vanilla wafers. The chessmen cookies seem to hold up well without getting as soggy.
Cool whip is fine for this.
I made it in a 13x9 and lined up the cookies in nice precise rows, which I found oddly satisfying.
Thanks! I can't rep you yet. I think I will make it. Do you think I could make it the day before? We have to drive over to Eastern Massachusetts for a parade and then this party. I could get up early and make it but if I could make it the day before I would be thrilled!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2018, 03:01 PM
 
10,212 posts, read 4,079,456 times
Reputation: 25852
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
Thanks! I can't rep you yet. I think I will make it. Do you think I could make it the day before? We have to drive over to Eastern Massachusetts for a parade and then this party. I could get up early and make it but if I could make it the day before I would be thrilled!
That's the problem with banana pudding - once you put it in the fridge, it ruins it.

Still tastes good, but the bananas turn an awful shade of grey and are completely unappealing.

I have a banana pudding recipe that is delicious, and gets rave reviews, but I have to make it about an hour before the guests arrive and leave it in an oven to warm when we're ready to eat it.

Refrigerating it would completely ruin it. :-/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2018, 03:07 PM
 
Location: Massachusetts
3,673 posts, read 2,070,871 times
Reputation: 11826
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
That's the problem with banana pudding - once you put it in the fridge, it ruins it.

Still tastes good, but the bananas turn an awful shade of grey and are completely unappealing.

I have a banana pudding recipe that is delicious, and gets rave reviews, but I have to make it about an hour before the guests arrive and leave it in an oven to warm when we're ready to eat it.

Refrigerating it would completely ruin it. :-/
Hmmmm......the recipe says to refrigerate until serving. I just wonder if it can sit overnight.

Last edited by magicshark; 07-02-2018 at 03:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2018, 05:24 AM
 
Location: Coastal Georgia
37,134 posts, read 45,664,410 times
Reputation: 61818
It goes together very quickly, so you could do it in the morning, but it seems to me that if the bananas are all encapsulated in the pudding, they wouldn’t turn brown.
Paula Deen said on her show that you can toss the banana slices in lemon juice, but this seems like it would affect the flavor.
I don’t know what ClaraC makes, but I’ve never heard of unrefrigerated banana pudding.


****PS I dont know if you’re using the recipe I posted, or getting it off the net, but my instructions left out when to put in the bananas. You slice them over the bottom layer of cookies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2018, 05:30 AM
 
Location: SE Florida
512 posts, read 103,347 times
Reputation: 1632
Firstly and this is just me, I wouldn't make a recipe I hadn't tried to serve to other people, especially one of Paula Deen's. Nothing against her personally, but we've tried some of her recipes and some have been good, but there have also been some major clunkers as well.



And, yes, bananas will turn brown once refrigerated even if they are encapsulated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2018, 05:53 AM
 
Location: Massachusetts
3,673 posts, read 2,070,871 times
Reputation: 11826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtran49 View Post
Firstly and this is just me, I wouldn't make a recipe I hadn't tried to serve to other people, especially one of Paula Deen's. Nothing against her personally, but we've tried some of her recipes and some have been good, but there have also been some major clunkers as well.



And, yes, bananas will turn brown once refrigerated even if they are encapsulated.
I know a lot of people will not make a recipe for others without trying it first. With this crowd I have no fear of it. It is all extended family. It is an easy going, friendly, super casual, happy party. I have experimented on this crowd more times then I can remember. If it stinks they will freely tell and laugh with me over it. I am making two other tried and true recipes so I'm not worried!

I'm ok with the bananas not looking perfect. In my usual recipe I think they turn colors. No-one has complained and it always gets eaten!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2018, 08:44 AM
 
Location: Coastal Georgia
37,134 posts, read 45,664,410 times
Reputation: 61818
How’d the banana pudding turn out, magic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:20 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top