U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 10:21 AM

22,539 posts, read 28,465,576 times

Advertisements

I chop it up, simmer it with rice and carrots, and feed it to my dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 10:52 AM

36,981 posts, read 45,435,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I soak mine in milk and dip in flour and fry. I get to eat all I cook, cause my wife won't get near it.
How would you describe the difference of liver soaked in milk, compared to not?

Old 06-05-2016, 11:39 AM

32,315 posts, read 59,640,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
I take the liver, chop it up in to coarse pieces, portion it out into little 4 ounce containers, put most of it into the freezer, put a few in the fridge for the next few days, and begin to feed it to my cats. It's the best way I've found!
I'm not sure my cats would eat it ...

Old 06-05-2016, 12:57 PM

5,164 posts, read 3,598,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
How would you describe the difference of liver soaked in milk, compared to not?
I actually have not tried not soaking in milk. When I started learning to cook it, I researched the Internet and the claim was made at several sites that the milk treatment made it milder. I also read some where that you only need to soak cows liver and that calves liver doesn't need soaking as its naturally mild

Old 06-05-2016, 01:42 PM

2,518 posts, read 1,803,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I like it soaked in milk, but I also like it when it hasn't been soaked. Soaking the liver in milk makes it milder and sweeter (try it). For me, the real key is to not overcook it.
Yep. My granny and my mom always soaked it in milk for about an hour before cooking. And I agree with above posters -- alway bacon grease and lots of sautéed onions (preferably Vidalia or Walla Walla). I also agree with 'pink in the middle'.

Old 06-05-2016, 03:04 PM

15,025 posts, read 18,903,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I like it soaked in milk, but I also like it when it hasn't been soaked. Soaking the liver in milk makes it milder and sweeter (try it). For me, the real key is to not overcook it.
This is what I do as well, and if I don't have milk in the house (I usually don't), I'll use cream with a little water. I absolutely think it makes a difference with fresh beef liver. I'm less convinced it makes any difference with frozen liver (which I am starting to really, really dislike. Sadly, I can't get fresh here very easily).

I run it through a bit of seasoned flour (salt, pepper, garlic powder), then fry in butter. The onions have already been cooked in the same pan, just scrapped to the side. Just before the liver is cooked, I add a tiny bit of apple cider or sherry vinegar.

No bacon required.

Old 06-05-2016, 05:01 PM

36,981 posts, read 45,435,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
This is what I do as well, and if I don't have milk in the house (I usually don't), I'll use cream with a little water. I absolutely think it makes a difference with fresh beef liver. I'm less convinced it makes any difference with frozen liver (which I am starting to really, really dislike. Sadly, I can't get fresh here very easily).

I run it through a bit of seasoned flour (salt, pepper, garlic powder), then fry in butter. The onions have already been cooked in the same pan, just scrapped to the side. Just before the liver is cooked, I add a tiny bit of apple cider or sherry vinegar.

No bacon required.
I used to cook bacon and then caramelize the onions in the fat, but now I just use saved bacon fat, and skip the actual bacon. I always buy calves liver, so I guess I'll skip the milk part. I always buy it frozen, since I've never seen it for sale fresh here, and it is still good.

My friend always makes liver with gravy and I don't know how she does it, she cooks the dickens out of it, but I prefer my way better, which is crispy and a bit pink inside.

I have also just slapped the liver on a grill and flipped it (no flour coating), and it is very good this way.

Old 06-05-2016, 05:10 PM

6,488 posts, read 6,925,437 times
This thread kind of, sort of, makes me want to try one little piece of liver. As long as I don't have to smell it cooking and I can spit it out if necessary.

Old 06-05-2016, 05:50 PM

2,898 posts, read 4,588,988 times
I don't cook anything but chicken livers at home. I always soak them in buttermilk first, then dredge in seasoned flour or Kentucky Kernal, then fry 'em up in grape seed or peanut oil. Sometimes I skip the breading & just sauté them with some onions. I never have enough bacon grease on hand, but if I have some I'll throw that in the mix.

And it must be pink inside & not over cooked.

Mr hp decided sometime over 60 years ago that he would only eat chicken livers ( he does make an exception for foie gras ), so if I get a craving for mammalian liver and onions we hit up Luby's.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:54 PM

36,494 posts, read 41,708,164 times
I don't make beef liver at all. I fry chicken livers.

I eat braunschweiger and a variety of pate, but I don't make it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes