Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 04:58 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,521,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
That would be an excellent meal, especially over mashed potatoes.
thanks for the Smoker hint

I have an awesome one and why I never thought of it is...Well never mind

I was very fortunate to have my Great Grand Mother serve Chicken Smash and NOBODY
Not Mom or Grandma has EVER change the original recipe, it's memories on a plate of love
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 05:01 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
...NOBODY Not Mom or Grandma has EVER change the original recipe, it's memories on a plate of love...
Hmm... I wonder what that recipe is? (hint, hint)

Old 07-11-2016, 01:53 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,887,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
Exactly

Having grown up in a Hunting family that raised and breed Labrador Retrievers
and I still have a Lab today, I'll take two jugs and place them in a Reynolds oven bag
on a cookie sheet for an hour and a half @ 350 when done scoop out with a slotted
spoon and place on paper towel to cool then into a 1/2 quart Zip-Loc bag

I feel good knowing just what my furry best friend is getting for a treat
Two jugs? Jugs of what? I picture two plastic gallon milk jugs melting in your oven.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
Two jugs? Jugs of what? I picture two plastic gallon milk jugs melting in your oven.
The chicken livers come in a what I would think of as like a the medium size
container you get in the deli for a potato salad or such.

To clarify,

Empty the ' Jugs ' into a strainer and rinse, place oven bag on a foil lined
cookie sheet and add 2tbl of flour, place livers inside tie up the end.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Hmm... I wonder what that recipe is? (hint, hint)
You've got A PM

Old 07-13-2016, 04:47 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
So, I was watching a Food Network Star show today. The challenge was to cook a typical diner food, and a contestant was given liver to cook. She was eliminated because she did not soak the liver first, and the judge Tyler Florence) said it tasted "iron-ey". I'm throwing the BS flag on this one, since I've been making award winning liver for a long time and I've never soaked it in salt water, or anything, first. I rinse it in cold water and that is it. The parting words from the contestant was that she guessed her family had been preparing it wrong for years, too.

I rinse it, pat it dry, dredge it in flour, salt and pepper, and sauté it until brown on each side. Done and done.
Is it me, or what?
We do not eat liver anymore: stopped when it was decided it wasn't healthy cause of the cholesterol. I am not sure it that is still the case, but anyway, I used to love it, grew up eating it and spoiled brat would even eat it. I rinsed it just like you but never did I soak it.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:36 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We do not eat liver anymore: stopped when it was decided it wasn't healthy cause of the cholesterol. I am not sure it that is still the case, but anyway, I used to love it, grew up eating it and spoiled brat would even eat it. I rinsed it just like you but never did I soak it.
Like eggs, it's safe to eat liver again.

Old 07-15-2016, 01:28 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,951,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Like eggs, it's safe to eat liver again.
Gerania just won the thread.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:39 PM

497 posts, read 387,633 times
This is a delicious way to eat beef or pork liver, along with bacon and onions. Cook more bacon, liver, and onions if serving to more people. If you do, just be sure to simmer everything (covered) for exactly 15 minutes. Prep time also includes cooking the bacon, the onions, and the liver, before simmering it in the skillet for 15 minutes.

Here's how I make Beef or Pork Liver...

Beef Or Pork Liver, With Bacon and Onions (For 2)

Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes

6 slices bacon (use thin sliced bacon)
3 large onions, sliced thin
salt & pepper, to season the onions and liver
1/2 lb. beef or pork liver, sliced thin
1/2 cup flour
Crisco Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening

In a 12-inch skillet, cook the bacon slices. (This should take about 20 minutes.)

Remove bacon slices from skillet, and set aside, but DO NOT drain off the bacon grease.

To the bacon grease in skillet, add the sliced onions; season with salt and pepper. Cook onion slices over medium to medium-high heat, for about 15 minutes; stirring often.

Remove onions from the skillet, and set aside, but DO NOT drain off any of the bacon grease. To the skillet, add a couple tablespoons of the Buttered Flavored Crisco.

In a shallow bowl, add the flour; sprinkle in some of the salt and pepper. Lightly dust liver in the flour, add to the skillet, and cook liver over medium heat; till lightly browned on both sides. This doesn't take very long, so watch and turn liver quickly, so it doesn't burn in skillet. Remove cooked liver from the skillet, and set aside on a plate.

Add the sliced onions back to the skillet. Place liver on top of the cooked onions, then top the liver with the bacon slices. Cover skillet with a lid; cook the liver, bacon and onions over low heat (a low simmer) for exactly 15 minutes.

Turn off heat; remove the liver, bacon, and onions, and place on a serving platter or plate to serve.

Yields: 2 servings

Note: You may think the 3 large onions is a bit too much for this recipe, but it's not. The onions do cook down quite a bit.

Besides the Liver, Bacon & Onions, my family also likes to eat beef liver prepared this way...
Chili Liver is actually quite delish!

Chili Liver

4 slices bacon (I usually cook a few more slices)
1 lb. beef liver, sliced thin
Crisco All-Vegetable Shortening, for cooking liver in
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
salt, to season the liver
black pepper, to season the liver
1 (10-1/2 oz.) can Campbell's French Onion Soup
1/4 cup chili sauce, or ketchup

In a 12-inch skillet, cook bacon until crisp; remove bacon, crumble; and set aside.

Dust liver with flour; season with salt and pepper.

Brown liver in bacon drippings (you may need to add a little shortening).

When done frying liver, add the soup and chili sauce.

Cover; and cook over low heat for 15 minutes; stir occasionally.

Uncover; cook to desired consistency.

Garnish with crumbled bacon.

Serves 4-5.

Note: When I make this liver, I prefer to use the Buttered Flavored Crisco All-Vegetable Shortening, instead of the regular Crisco. Also, I don't crumble the bacon, but rather leave it in strips, so everyone gets a slice or 2 with their liver.

Last edited by 1DomesticGoddess; 07-15-2016 at 11:50 PM..

Old 07-16-2016, 07:27 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,296,094 times
I love pork livers and chicken livers but cooking them is not easy, must be careful they stay tender and not overcooked. Pork livers pan fried with dark soy sauce and ginger slices, crispy on the outside, tender and juicy inside is very delicious.

Not sure if I have eaten beef liver before. What is the different in taste between pork and beef livers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes