U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 09:01 PM

1,255 posts, read 709,799 times

Advertisements

I have tried to make them on my own but I never can get them to taste like how they do in a Mexican food place. I hardly ever go out to eat so Id like to make some. The ones I have made at home just don't taste the same and also when you cut into them it's not the same. Mine have a bad habit of fallin apart.

Any body have a good recipe theyd share with me? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 09:32 PM

11,157 posts, read 20,437,717 times
Here's my recipe:

Cook boneless skinless chicken breast in the crock pot all day on low, and shred. Use about 2 cups for a pan of 10 enchiladas.

Preheat oven to 350. Make enchilada sauce. Ten Minute Enchilada Sauce Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Cook 1/2 cup rice with a little bit of butter and salt, or in the chicken broth if you've got it handy. This is the best rice, if you can find it where you live: https://www.heb.com/product-detail/v...s-rice/1025490 If not, a medium grain white rice will do.

Mix shredded chicken, rice, 1 can ro-tel, drained, and about 1 cup Rico's nacho cheese sauce.

Spray 9x13 or 10x15 glass pan with cooking spray. Pour about half the enchilada sauce in the bottom of the pan, tilt to coat.

Get a couple of paper towels soaking wet, then squeeze out some of the water. Wrap 4 corn tortillas in the wet paper towels, put them on a plate and microwave for 30 second. Fill those tortillas with the filling mixture, put them in the pan, and then cover them with enchilada sauce. Repeat for the rest of the enchiladas. Top with a small amount of cheddar cheese. Cover pan with foil, bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Serve with sour cream and chopped green onions.

I usually double the recipe and we eat it cold the next day too.

Some of the enchiladas I've had in restaurants have been pretty terrible, with tough tortillas and stringy cheese as the filling. The best enchiladas are the ones someone's mom makes in a big foil pan for a get-together. Mine are based on those, but I don't think the Rico's sauce is something most people put in enchiladas. I tinkered with my recipe a lot when I was coming up with it.

Also, your tortillas have to be corn tortillas. Doesn't matter if they're white, yellow or red, they just have to be corn, not flour.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:40 PM

6,303 posts, read 5,042,575 times
The corn tortillas have to be lightly fried in hot oil before they are filled and rolled. Corn tortillas straight out of a plastic bag are " raw". Need to be heated on a griddle for example.

If you want to make easy enchiladas, try Wolf brand chili enchiladas.

Heat up the corn tortillas in hot oil set them aside so they will be cool enough to handle. Do t stack them on top of each other or they will stick.

Dice some cheese and onions. Fill the tortillas with the cheese and onions, roll them up. Pour some of the chili in the bottom of your baking dish. Place the rolled and filled tortillas in the pan, seam side down. Pour more chili on top. Add more cheese and onions on top. You can leave out the onions. Bake at 350 until hot and cheese melts. It's chili without beans.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:44 PM

11,157 posts, read 20,437,717 times
You can steam the tortillas in wet paper towels in the microwave so you don't have to fry them...I've made them both ways and I prefer steaming them because the finished dish isn't as oily.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:46 PM

Tne sauce recipe linked in the second post sounds tasty.

I would still lightly fry the corn tortilla in hot oil and also follow up with a dip in the sauce.

Then fill with cooked ground beef, shredded chicken, or just cheese.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
You can steam the tortillas in wet paper towels in the microwave so you don't have to fry them...I've made them both ways and I prefer steaming them because the finished dish isn't as oily.
Around here it's a big no to microwaved corn or flour tortillas!

Old 06-21-2016, 09:52 PM

1,255 posts, read 709,799 times
Ok kind of a dumb question but I have tried frying corn tortillas before but they just end up wet and breaking apart. Do I need to let them dry first before rolling them? Do I need to dip them in oil and cover all of it or just fry in a little bit of oil?

Old 06-21-2016, 09:55 PM

15,060 posts, read 18,985,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
The corn tortillas have to be lightly fried in hot oil before they are filled and rolled.
Same thing for flour tortillas - ya gotta fry them first.

Additionally, a good Mexican restaurant will be making their own enchilada sauce from dried red chiles, usually 2-3 different varieties. I've done it, and it's a pita; but the flavor is wonderful. I did it regularly when we lived in Mexico and in Phoenix.

These days I only bother for people that truly know and appreciate mexican food, which are few abd far between here in Raleigh. Now, I'll buy a can or bottle of premade, and most guests seem to appreciate the familiar, if not stellar, sauce.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:56 PM

13,377 posts, read 21,928,938 times
The tortillas shouldn't be oily if the temperature of the oil is correct and the time the tortilla spends in the oil is brief. It just needs a few seconds each side.

Microwaved tortillas are a no no around here too.

Old 06-21-2016, 10:03 PM

15,060 posts, read 18,985,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsadaisy View Post
Ok kind of a dumb question but I have tried frying corn tortillas before but they just end up wet and breaking apart. Do I need to let them dry first before rolling them? Do I need to dip them in oil and cover all of it or just fry in a little bit of oil?
Your frying them too long. 1/4 inch of very hot oil, 2 minutes on each side. Lay them flat, separated by a sheet of paper towel.

Here's a youtube video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys7XsRcCNOs

You do need to roll them shortly after frying. It's not really a do ahead kind if thing.

To the other poster who said they came out oily, I'll bet the oil isn't hot enough or you didn't use paper towels between EACH tortilla.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes