U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 10:53 AM

3,160 posts, read 1,964,409 times

Advertisements

Years ago Mrs. TD and I had dined at a very fine Seafood restaurant. The white sauce used over the fish was extraordinary. I have spent a couple of years trying to duplicate. This is what she says is 'spot on' taste, and since she is the one to please when I cook, I'm sticking to it. I know, no cheese! The slight hint of anchovy should not put you off, it really is the flavor you don't taste if you do it right but adds the umami that is so important to this sauce.
So here's my recipe.

1 1/2 to 2 tbsp butter, real, no salt
1/3 tsp Lemon Juice, freshly squeezed
1 garlic clove, crushed, left whole
1/4 to 1/2 tsp anchovy paste, depending upon your taste for anchovy/umami
1/4 cup white wine
1/3 to 1/2 cup heavy cream

Bouquet Garni consists of:
1 & 1/2 tsp fresh chives (I use garlic chives)
1/2 tsp fresh French tarragon (or Mexican tarragon)
1/2 tsp fresh chervril, diced
1/4 tsp fresh parsley, diced

Pink Himalayan salt crystals, freshly ground in salt mill, to taste
1 1/2 lbs. your favorite white fleshed fish (ours are about 1 1/2 inch
to 2 inch thick)

*Green onions, diced on a diagonal, garnish
*Fresh mint leaves, garnish
*fresh lemon zest, garnish

Place a broiler rack in oven within 10 inches of broiler heating coil.
Heat the broiler to 450 degrees.
Using a cheese cloth, tie up all of the fresh herbs into a ball, using Butcher's twine.
In an oven-proof pan, melt the butter, add the fillets and cook on stove for 2 mins on each side. Gently remove the fish and set aside.
Add the cream, wine, anchovy paste, crushed garlic clove (left intact) and Bouquet Garni. minus salt. Cook on high 1 minute, remove pan from heat.
Turn off burner.

Add fish back to pan and spoon some sauce over. Place pan under broiler. Cook for 8 to 14 minutes, depending upon thickness
of the fillets. Remove from oven when fish is firm. Remove Bouquet Garni and garlic clove.

Taste sauce, add salt as you think is needed.
Place onto individual plates, garnish with mint, green onions and lemon zest.

*Notes: If you don't have access to the above herbs, buy the spice mix:
'Fines Herbes'
It is a mixture of -
(French origin)
parsley, chives, tarragon,
and chervil.

*Don't skip on the anchovy. It will not be the same.

*If you want a thicker sauce, add 1/2 tsp. or so of Arrowroot after removing fish to plate.
Simmer while whisking in broiled sauce low on stove about 30 seconds.

*Double the amount of herbs if you are not using fresh. Also double the layer of cheesecloth so they do not escape. We like it with slightly crisp Chinese style fresh green beans, and some rice.

Last edited by TerraDown; 06-25-2016 at 12:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2016, 12:02 PM

8,140 posts, read 11,041,171 times
Sounds great! Wish I were that ambitious.

Old 06-25-2016, 12:08 PM

119,960 posts, read 14,232,679 times
What a great recipe thank you for sharing

Old 06-25-2016, 01:13 PM

129 posts, read 55,124 times
Do you think this sauce is too heavy for cod? (that's what I'm making tomorrow night). I really wanna try this!

Old 06-25-2016, 01:22 PM

36,952 posts, read 45,395,424 times
Sounds wonderful. I've been doing something similar for scallops. Next time I'll try adding the garlic and anchovy.

Old 06-25-2016, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cast Iron Cutie View Post
Do you think this sauce is too heavy for cod? (that's what I'm making tomorrow night). I really wanna try this!
No, that's actually my fish of choice.

Gentlearts, it's nothing without the anchovy paste. Taste just a bit to your tongue first. If it is too sharp, then cut down. But it is an essential ingredient.
PS: Love to try that scallop recipe, we are all searching for that special taste

edit: I grow my own herbs, and expand the garden as needed. Even for City dwellers, this is dooable. Growing your own fresh spices will enhance all of your culinary dishes, I hope you give it a try.

Last edited by TerraDown; 06-25-2016 at 01:52 PM..

Old 06-25-2016, 02:52 PM

36,952 posts, read 45,395,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
No, that's actually my fish of choice.

Gentlearts, it's nothing without the anchovy paste. Taste just a bit to your tongue first. If it is too sharp, then cut down. But it is an essential ingredient.
PS: Love to try that scallop recipe, we are all searching for that special taste

edit: I grow my own herbs, and expand the garden as needed. Even for City dwellers, this is dooable. Growing your own fresh spices will enhance all of your culinary dishes, I hope you give it a try.
Have you successfully grown tarragon? Its my go to herb for fish, but I find it hard to grow from seed, and can't find the plants. I've started freezing the fresh which is a bit better than dried.

Old 06-25-2016, 05:32 PM

Hi Gentlearts,
Where I live, I have had very bad luck with growing both French and Texas tarragon. The only herb that is close I have had luck with is 'Mexican' tarragon. It is stronger in flavor, one can use less than the two, and it does replace them for taste.

Forget the seeds, I have tried that too and actually got it to grow to harvest...not the same flavor, useless.

It has to be French, or Texas...or the Mexican substitute.

Like you, before I could grow the Mexican with success, I froze fresh proper tarragon.

Old 06-25-2016, 05:40 PM

6,488 posts, read 6,919,839 times
That sounds delicious.

Old 06-26-2016, 01:40 AM

14,558 posts, read 10,697,385 times
Omg, that sounds amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes