Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 10:42 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronicka View Post
I really hate eggplant. It is something about the texture. I have tried it to make sure I really hated it and wasn't biased from a bad eggplant experience. I wouldn't try to make one taste good unless I was stranded on an eggplant island.

If it were me I would use it as a decoration because they are beautiful to look at. People buy cut flowers that wilt and die but they enjoy them while they last.
Reminds me of me also hating lamb and all of my life hearing, "You just haven't had it cooked right!" After trying it several times, I finally realized I just don't like lamb. I will never allow another person to feed it to me just one more time.

Why is it people can't accept it when you just don't like something? LOL.

I guess I felt the need to give eggplant one more try, but I got over it :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 09:26 AM

226 posts, read 198,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyLane2 View Post
This is primarily eggplant, which I don't love either, but it's pretty good in this casserole. Since you like cheesy, you could mix in some extra shredded cheese to the eggplant mixture before baking. Don't try to skip the soaking.

Wyatt's was a Texas based cafeteria chain, and this was one of their customers' favorite offerings. The recipe has been printed in many newspapers. I got it from my mother. I'm sure she either got it from someone at church or copied it from the newspaper.

Wyatt's Baked Eggplant
(serves 6)

1 lb. eggplant, peeled
1/2 lb. dry bread cubes
1/2 cup canned evaporated milk
1/4 cup whole milk
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup onions, finely chopped
1/4 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
1/4 cup celery, finely chopped
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 T pimiento, chopped
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp sage
1 1/2 cups (4 oz) cheddar cheese, grated

Cut peeled eggplant into 1-inch cubes and soak in salt water in refrigeratorovernight (minimum 6 hours). Drain eggplant and place in pan. Cover with waterand simmer until tender. Soak bread cubes in milk. Saute onions, bell pepper,and celery in butter until tender.

Combine cooked eggplant, bread cubes, and vegetables. Add eggs, pimiento, and seasonings. Mix thoroughly. Place in greased baking dishand bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Top with grated cheese and return tooven until cheese melts.
I MUST confirm this recipe. And a tip of the hat to Wyatt's as well! Yummy and awesome.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:16 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Japanese market was sampling simply prepared eggplant (the Japanese variety) and it was delicious. They had cubed it about 3/4 in. dice, fried in vegetable oil, drained, and drizzled with memmi. I've never cared for eggplant but that stuff was so addictive I ended up buying a package.

Old 09-06-2016, 01:37 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Japanese market was sampling simply prepared eggplant (the Japanese variety) and it was delicious. They had cubed it about 3/4 in. dice, fried in vegetable oil, drained, and drizzled with memmi. I've never cared for eggplant but that stuff was so addictive I ended up buying a package.
Those are the variety we purchase. The ones we get are elongated and light purple; the flavor, when roasted with olive oil and salt, is slightly sweet and nutty.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:26 PM

126,274 posts, read 19,045,264 times
I am actually not very fond of eggplant and this is the only way I like to eat it.

Baingan Bharta Recipe, How to make Baingan Bharta, Easy Baingan Bharta

Old 09-06-2016, 03:53 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
I tried this recently and really liked it. Much better than expected. I broiled the eggplant instead of grilling it but other than that it was super easy.

EGGPLANT LASAGNA - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes

Old 09-07-2016, 06:07 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I just wonder if non eggplant lovers know that eggplant is not supposed to be bitter? Once in awhile you get a bitter tasting one and there is no way to correct this. A normal eggplant is very mild and hard to believe that anyone would object to the taste.
My daughter, to his day, tasted bitter eggplant when she was a kid, and won't even try it again.

Old 09-07-2016, 06:15 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I tried this recently and really liked it. Much better than expected. I broiled the eggplant instead of grilling it but other than that it was super easy.

EGGPLANT LASAGNA - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes
I love this recipe. I'm always looking for good low carb recipes, si I look forward to trying it.

I make eggplant Parmesan a lot, but never fry the eggplant, since it seems to absorb too much fat. I spread the slices thinly with mayonnaise, then coat with half Italian crumbs and half Parmesan cheese. Bake at 375 until golden and tender. You can't taste the mayo, but it provides just enough fat to brown the eggplant.

Old 09-07-2016, 06:53 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
OP: Eggplant is disgusting. You don't like it. Why would you ever look for ways to force yourself to eat it?

Old 09-07-2016, 07:51 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
I went camping a few weeks ago with a big group, including a bunch of Filipino friends. They made fried eggplant with breakfast. The guys roasted the long, thin type of eggplants over open flame until they were soft and blackened. Their wives dipped them afterward in egg and fried them up. Ohhhh man, SO good. I noshed on fried eggplant all morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes