U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 05:29 PM

4,719 posts, read 1,492,025 times

Advertisements

Okay thanks. Good article.

If there are little bits if eggs that have to be strained out, what happens if you do not strain it, and just throw the little bits into the ice cream machine along with the rest? Would this be bad, or could it give it a good texture as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 05:33 PM

811 posts, read 720,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Okay thanks. Good article.

If there are little bits if eggs that have to be strained out, what happens if you do not strain it, and just throw the little bits into the ice cream machine along with the rest? Would this be bad, or could it give it a good texture as well?
If you like ice cream with chunks of scrambled egg in it, that's your call. Generally, people don't find that appealing, which is why the straining is part of the recipe instructions.

Old 08-10-2016, 05:46 PM

Okay thanks. I will keep the egg out probably. So as for as leaving it out for at least two hours for it to cool, I am able to cool it in 30 minutes. You just have to put it in the freezer for 30 minutes and it's cool. Why does a recipe call it for it to take 2 hours to cool?

Old 08-11-2016, 04:50 AM

33,832 posts, read 41,864,104 times
Quote:
Okay thanks. I will keep the egg out probably. So as for as leaving it out for at least two hours for it to cool, I am able to cool it in 30 minutes. You just have to put it in the freezer for 30 minutes and it's cool. Why does a recipe call it for it to take 2 hours to cool?
I've been making my own ice cream for decades, started with a hand crank maker and graduated to the first of several electric ones (motors wore out, tub broke. Hint: make sure no salt stays in the cylinder, it with eat through it, even just one little chunk) and I've never made it with eggs.

Another hint: the amount of peppermint extract recommended in most recipes is about double what you need.

Yet another hint: if you make fruit ice cream puree the crap out of the fruit before adding it. If you make strawberry you might want to add the strawberry syrup to it also. People expect strawberry ice cream to be pink.

Another one: you can chill it in the tub itself before making it. Also, it takes longer to set up on humid days.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:04 AM

12,066 posts, read 12,389,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
If it looks like scrambled egg, then you cooked it a little too long or a little too hot.

You can buy pasteurized eggs, and then you don't have to worry quite as much about getting them hot enough to kill the germs while keeping them cool enough that your custard doesn't turn into egg drop soup
The best ice cream is not cooked at all. Use pasteurized milk and eggs (scramblers) and make raw ice cream.

Old 08-11-2016, 11:28 AM

11,138 posts, read 20,296,314 times
Quote:
Okay thanks. However, it was said on here before that the if the egg is removed, then it prevents the custard from being a custard. So how much egg should be strained if this is the case?
If I get impatient when I'm cooking it and turn the heat up a little bit too high, I'll get 7 or 8 little bits of egg when I strain it. Compared to the volume of the 8 eggs that go into my recipe, I'm removing a very small amount, but it's worth doing because cooked bits of egg in ice cream are disgusting to me.

Old 08-11-2016, 02:07 PM

3,517 posts, read 4,806,144 times
Quote:
Okay thanks. I tempered them before but I still got scrambled eggs. Probably simmered them a little too long maybe.

I want to keep trying but every recipe says to leave the custard in the fridge, overnight before making the ice cream it seems. This way, I will not know if I have done a good job, until I wait a day each time.

Is their anyway to speed up the process, other than one day? One recipe said to wait at least two hours, but that is quite a while too. What I am waiting for, the custard substance seems to look the same, the next day.
You shouldn't "simmer" them at all. After tempering, add the mixture back into the pot, and cook over *low* heat until it coats the back of a spoon. That always happens before the mixture gets to a simmer for me.

Old 08-11-2016, 04:32 PM

Okay thanks. Just to be clear tampering is when you are suppose to take some of the whipping cream out of the pot, mix it with the other ingredients in a bowl and then dump it all back into the pot, right?

Also I am trying to learn how to make 'popcorn ice cream'. Is this why the instructions to say to simmer it, because popcorn flavor may require it maybe?

Old 08-12-2016, 10:36 PM

3,517 posts, read 4,806,144 times
Quote:
Okay thanks. Just to be clear tampering is when you are suppose to take some of the whipping cream out of the pot, mix it with the other ingredients in a bowl and then dump it all back into the pot, right?

Also I am trying to learn how to make 'popcorn ice cream'. Is this why the instructions to say to simmer it, because popcorn flavor may require it maybe?
Yes. You bring the cream, milk sugar, and whatever else (usually vanilla bean for me) to a near-simmer, add about half of it slowly to the eggs while whisking, then pour it back into the pot with the heat on very low heat. Stir it a little, it should thicken just a bit, enough to coat the back of a metal spoon- won't take long. Cool it in an ice bath so it's not at a dangerous temperature for very long (and never put hot things in your fridge!) in a bowl set in a larger bowl full of ice and water, and put it in the fridge overnight- the colder it is when you go to churn it, the better your results.

I made some tonight and when I strained it I had a few little chunks. It's normal. When you have a lot, you're probably overcooking it. I'd be suspicious of a recipe that tells you to simmer it after you add the eggs.

Also, it's a really good idea to start with basic recipes, like vanilla bean, until you get your technique down. That way if something doesn't come out you can pinpoint where you went wrong. Once you know what you're doing you can start throwing basically whatever you want. I made strawberry balsamic the other day. Today I'm making brown sugar vanilla (love subbing brown sugar) with English toffee chunks thrown in at the end. Next batch is gonna be browned butter brown sugar

My base recipe:
2 cups cream
1 cup whole milk
2/3 cup sugar (sometimes less if I'm adding something sweet to it)
5 egg yolks

I make ice cream literally every few day this time of year

Old 08-15-2016, 05:50 PM

Okay, thanks for the advice everyone. Do you think that instead of using sugar to make ice cream, I could use honey instead since sugar is worse for the body than honey? Or will that not work with the rest of the mix?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or