Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 03:54 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,451,518 times

Advertisements

Just don't overcook them as AngID said. That makes more of a difference than anything else. No matter HOW you've prepared them, if you overcook them, they'll be not good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 12:17 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
Don't overcook them.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:48 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,451,518 times
Thanks to this thread, we're having pork chops this weekend! Getting some thick, bone in ones, putting Famous Dave's rub on them (husband just found it at the grocery a few weeks ago and bought it on a whim - we really liked it), and putting them on the grill. I'm still working out in my head what we want as sides. YAY!!!! I can't wait!

Old 08-26-2016, 01:58 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,803,058 times
Brining works wonders for chops and is simple to do. Just have to remember to do it!

Old 08-27-2016, 05:46 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
Thanks to this thread, we're having pork chops this weekend! Getting some thick, bone in ones, putting Famous Dave's rub on them (husband just found it at the grocery a few weeks ago and bought it on a whim - we really liked it), and putting them on the grill. I'm still working out in my head what we want as sides. YAY!!!! I can't wait!
Applesauce, for sure.

Old 08-28-2016, 10:22 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,016,633 times
Bake them...

Get a four-pak of cheap-o boneless pork chops, but not the real thin kind. Marinate in buttermilk with plenty of salt and pepper overnight (or for 3-4 hours in a pinch). To cook, heat a generous amount of oil in a skillet, pull the chops from the buttermilk, dunk in an egg wash, then dredge in whatever you like to dredge stuff in (e.g., a mix of Bisquik, oat bran, corn meal, and italian bread crumbs). Brown the chops on both sides, then place them in a typical pyrex loaf pan, cover with foil, and put them in a preheated 350-degree oven for 40 minutes

Meanwhile, put a bit of oil and butter in a saucepan and heat. Add one 4-ounce can of grocery store sliced mushrooms (liquid included) with a few generous splashes of cooking marsala. As that reduces, add to taste some seasoning salt, black pepper, garlic powder, cilantro, paprika, a couple of grinds of Italian seasonings, and a few shakes of dry mustard. Note that because of the salt in the marinade, you don’t need a lot of salt in the sauce –- just enough to accent its flavors. When all that has about finished reducing down (it doesn’t take long), add one jar of grocery store chicken gravy (not pork gravy) and several tablespoons of heavy cream. Stir and heat just to the beginnings of a boil, then cover and set aside.

At the appointed 40-minute mark, remove the foil from the pork chops, pour the sauce over and around them, put the foil back on, and continue to bake for another 20 minutes.

Proceed to make such mashed potatoes as you prefer. Take the chops out of the oven at the 60-minute mark and set them aside to cool for a bit. When it's all ready, remove the foil, serve, and eat. Really tender, really good, and not really expensive at all.

Old 08-28-2016, 11:14 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
As has been said over and over; the secret is do not over cook. Pork can be a little pink, it won't hurt you. When I am just fixing them plain, I just fry them quickly after seasoning them a little. I like to add a sweet and spicy sauce of some kind just before taking them off the stove. If I stuff them, like tonight I will bake them for about 1/2 hour, after browning them.

Old 08-28-2016, 04:38 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
Just don't overcook them as AngID said. That makes more of a difference than anything else. No matter HOW you've prepared them, if you overcook them, they'll be not good.
yes,,,dont overcook, pork is cooked at 145f

50 years ago most of the pork sold was bone in

40 years ago most pork chops were bone in....

30 years ago 60% of the pork chops sold were BONELESS

what happened to go more boneless two major things,, women were working more outside the house , and the health Nazi's started pounding lean and low fat ...

boneless meats seem to have the perception of less cooking time than bone in meats and boneless has the perception of being leaner

same thing happened with boneless chicken breasts and bone in steaks to boneless steaks

the wise cook realizes with the bone comes more flavor- and less dry

two best selling bone in pork chops

one is called a center rib chop and one is called a center loin chop

here is the center rib chop (the same cut in beef would be a rib eye steak)

Click image for larger version

Name:	pork rib  chop  .jpg
Views:	57
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	174396

and here is the center loin cut chop (the same cut in beef is a porterhouse/T-bone steak )
the difference is the pork tenderloin
I prefer these loin chops-

be careful because there are Sirloin chops that are often advertised cheap and they are not these
it should say center cut loin chops

Click image for larger version

Name:	pork loin  chops  22.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	174397

the best way to cook them - I like my chops about an inch no thinner and to either broil/grill or fry

fry I do like sear on the outside and finish in the over

as another poster said pink is ok!!

Old 08-28-2016, 04:46 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
It will always be better with the bone in. Also, you know to choose darker meat?

I think it was Cook's Illustrated that said they "discovered" how to make perfect pork chops. Maybe you can find it online. I think it involved moving it around a bit.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:27 AM

4,186 posts, read 3,399,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Ross View Post
I'm looking for the best recipe to cook pork chops so that they come out tender. Could be bone-in or boneless. I'd prefer simpler rather than complex. What might you fine folks have in the way of suggestions?

Brine them.

Then, as others say, don't overcook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes