U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2016, 10:25 AM

4,196 posts, read 5,229,402 times

Advertisements

Someone was generous enough to donate 2 cases of frozen whole cherries, I'd estimate about 50 pounds or more. As far as I can tell they are pitted, and they are not in any type liquid. What to do with them, I have no time to make pies and I'm not making pie for 60 people anyway

Any ideas from the foodies here would be greatly appreciated..
I'm thinking sheet cakes or something along those lines, something fairly simple and not all that time consuming..
I have a case of cherry jello I sometimes mix with fruit cocktail, but I think that would be cherry overkill..
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 12:57 PM

22,505 posts, read 28,404,027 times
Make cherry crisp. Much easier and quicker than making pie and tastes every bit as good. Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

I use my Apple Brown Betty recipe, just cherries instead of apples, but there have to be hundreds of apple crisp recipes that could be used. The recipe that I use has a lot of sugar in the topping and none with the fruit. It comes out perfect.

You could make a black forest cake. A little bit of creativity and it would be easy enough to convert the recipe into a sheet cake. The cherry crisp would be a lot easier if you are baking for a large group.

note: if I am using the apple brown betty recipe with cherries, I leave out the cinnamon and cloves. No spices with cherries, but a bit of vanilla extract is really good.

Another note: you can use dutch apple crumb topping over cherries, but the crisp topping is usually thicker.

Old 09-30-2016, 01:59 PM

119,956 posts, read 14,228,789 times
Lucky you

You could make cherry compote with semolina dumplings or a cherry cold soup.Cakes or muffins is another option.How about some for a fruit salad or even make some jam. Vanilla ice cream with thickened hot cherry sauce is a great dessert. Eating the cherries with yogurt.If you are in odds give some away and make someone else happy

Old 09-30-2016, 07:25 PM

4,196 posts, read 5,229,402 times
I asked around tonight at dinner and Cherry Crisp or Cherry Cobbler were suggested.
Sometimes with the menu planning and this awesome surprise donation, I get stumped.

I have to find out who donated these and make her (I do know it was a woman) something special, maybe some Jam is in order..

Thanks' for the suggestions..

Old 09-30-2016, 11:11 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,832,557 times
I buy frozen cherries when they aren't in season. I thaw them in batches and eat them as is.

Old 10-01-2016, 01:45 AM

5,163 posts, read 2,742,938 times
I asked a similar question on CD, because I have a sour cherry tree on my property that's prolific, but the cherries are REALLY sour, the "cooking" kind. I ended up freezing a lot of them whole, then I make cherry-almond preserves...the almond flavoring is from extract. The taste is so good, I end up eating it with a spoon. I'm not into canning, don't want to deal with jars, sealing them & all that, so I freeze the stuff & thaw as needed. The recipe is a cross between one that a neighbor gave me, & the one on the pectin package.

Old 10-01-2016, 08:32 AM

10,992 posts, read 17,484,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
I asked a similar question on CD, because I have a sour cherry tree on my property that's prolific, but the cherries are REALLY sour, the "cooking" kind. I ended up freezing a lot of them whole, then I make cherry-almond preserves...the almond flavoring is from extract. The taste is so good, I end up eating it with a spoon. I'm not into canning, don't want to deal with jars, sealing them & all that, so I freeze the stuff & thaw as needed. The recipe is a cross between one that a neighbor gave me, & the one on the pectin package.
I want some of that on pound cake, please.

Old 10-03-2016, 08:29 AM

500 posts, read 347,890 times
Here in Wisconsin, cherry bounce is popular around the holidays.
Ingredients

4 cups tart cherries with pits (sweet cherries work fine)
1 quart liquor (vodka, brandy, etc.)
1 cup sugar dissolved in 1/2 cup of water (I use splenda)

Preparation

Mix together in a gallon jar. Cover and store in a dark place until Christmas.

Old 10-03-2016, 10:12 AM

2,510 posts, read 1,797,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
Ingredients

Preparation

This was one of my thoughts also. One of the bars we used to frequent in Fayetteville, Ark kept a gallon jar of sour cherries steeping in alcohol. They used the liquid for cocktails.

I also like to have some frozen sour cherries on hand for a sauce to go with roast duck or pork roast.

Old 10-03-2016, 05:03 PM

10,992 posts, read 17,484,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
Ingredients

Preparation

I've never had anything like this - do you strain out the cherries and serve this as a drink?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes