Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2016, 06:56 AM

73 posts, read 92,910 times

Advertisements

The other night we cooked a duck on our tabletop rotisserie and I just took the fat and all that dripped into the pan and put it in the freezer. Today I pulled it out and the white fat is on top and all the other stuff (juice, stock, whatever) was at the bottom. I scraped off all of that - and so, did I just render the fat by freezing it? I plan to heat up the portion I am using tonight and skim off any impurities, so do you think there is anything more I need to do to consider it rendered?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 05:00 PM

427 posts, read 439,970 times
Think of duck fat as you would shortening or lard. You can use it to sauté as it crisps foods nicely. Try it with potatoes or green beans ( I add garlic, yummy!); or rub on your chicken or turkey before roasting, think cassoulet with beans. Some use it in pastries like pie crusts, but I haven't tried this yet. Duck fat freezes well. Experiment and enjoy.

Old 11-01-2016, 05:10 PM

126,262 posts, read 19,031,286 times
I remember mother used to make Schmaltz from rendered (clarified) duck or goose fat used for frying or as a spread on dark rye bread .She spread the Schmaltz on the bread and added salt.As a kid I loved it.

Old 11-01-2016, 05:43 PM

61,639 posts, read 87,001,838 times
^^^ This! Absolutely delicious. ( Also great made of goose fat) Taste best on a dark bread, though.
Rendered fat (not clarified) mixed with lightly roasted chopped onions and garlic, and grated piece of sour apple, seasoned with sea salt, white pepper and marjoram. Really good stuff with many health benefits!

Last edited by elnina; 11-01-2016 at 06:05 PM..

Old 11-01-2016, 08:51 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
^^^ This! Absolutely delicious. ( Also great made of goose fat) Taste best on a dark bread, though.
Rendered fat (not clarified) mixed with lightly roasted chopped onions and garlic, and grated piece of sour apple, seasoned with sea salt, white pepper and marjoram. Really good stuff with many health benefits!
WOW!

Tastes good and has health benefits?

Surely this is some sort of cosmic screw-up?

Old 11-02-2016, 01:08 AM

61,639 posts, read 87,001,838 times
^^^ Most likely not when is homemade.

Old 11-02-2016, 05:15 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,041,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueBSouth View Post
The other night we cooked a duck on our tabletop rotisserie and I just took the fat and all that dripped into the pan and put it in the freezer. Today I pulled it out and the white fat is on top and all the other stuff (juice, stock, whatever) was at the bottom. I scraped off all of that - and so, did I just render the fat by freezing it? I plan to heat up the portion I am using tonight and skim off any impurities, so do you think there is anything more I need to do to consider it rendered?

Thanks!

I would definitely call what you did rendering. If you want to you can reheat it and run it through some cheesecloth to remove as many solids as you can.

Old 11-02-2016, 02:24 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphfr View Post
I would definitely call what you did rendering. If you want to you can reheat it and run it through some cheesecloth to remove as many solids as you can.

But bear in mind that removing solids removes flavor. Those pieces are just cracklings, the essential flavor secret of a million gravies and, of course, crackling bread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes