U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 06:36 PM

52 posts, read 37,789 times

Advertisements

the oven is broken this is the third time so I didn't bother to tell the landlord because she just keeps replacing it piece by piece ...first the inside that heats up broke then the door came apart then the handle all she did was have someone glue the handle back on and when the inside piece that gets hot (its electric) broke then she blamed me and said it broke because I turned it up to 400...anyhow I plan to move soon but the inside thing broke again so I bought a slow cooker so I am wondering if there are any dessert recipes with chocolate that I can make in the slow cooker...I miss homemade chocolate chip cookies but not enough to go through the headache of the landlord having some dope addict off the street to fix the oven half assed once again..recipes please?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 07:33 PM

17,470 posts, read 20,829,413 times
Amazing Slow Cooker Chocolate Cake Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Old 11-01-2016, 09:40 PM

2,895 posts, read 1,636,215 times
You can also make chocolate pudding. You're going to have to Google it - I'm on my phone. You also don't need an oven to make chocolate mousse. Or a refrigerator pie.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:45 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,840,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie32900 View Post
...she blamed me and said it broke because I turned it up to 400...
Well, tell her it's an OVEN, not a refrigerator. Our ovens routinely reach 450°F. I would demand the oven be repaired properly, as it's a hazard in its current state.

Old 11-02-2016, 05:48 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,533 posts, read 54,095,162 times
Buy a countertop toaster oven, for $70-100 you will be able to bake cookies again, just not many at a time.

Old 11-02-2016, 05:52 AM

372 posts, read 416,710 times
That's what we did after a ground wire shorted out on our oven. We bought a toaster oven and are using it until we can get our oven fixed.

Old 11-02-2016, 11:07 AM

2,895 posts, read 1,636,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Buy a countertop toaster oven, for $70-100 you will be able to bake cookies again, just not many at a time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrygal View Post
That's what we did after a ground wire shorted out on our oven. We bought a toaster oven and are using it until we can get our oven fixed.
To piggy back onto the above, I'd suggest a toaster oven as well. If you can't afford to purchase one new, you may be able to find one at a Salvation Army/Goodwill store for cheap, OR, consider borrowing one from someone. It never hurts to check Craiglist or Freecycle as well.

Old 11-02-2016, 02:09 PM

7,103 posts, read 9,309,160 times
If I were you I would fix stove-top No Bakes:

Ingredients
  • 1¾ cups granulated sugar
  • ½ cup milk
  • 8 tablespoons butter, cut into large pieces
  • 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
  • ½ cup creamy peanut butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 3 cups quick cooking oats

Instructions
  1. Add sugar, milk, butter, and cocoa powder to a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil and allow to keep boiling for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter, vanilla, salt and oats. Drop large scoops of no bake batter onto parchment paper or, better yet, into paper baking cups. Allow to set for about 10-15 minutes until the cookies are firm. Keep refrigerated.
Or the other no-bake go-to, Chocolate Chip Rice Krispy Squares:

Chocolate Chip Rice Krispie Treats

3 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 10-ounce bag large marshmallows (about 40)
6 cups crisp rice cereal (such as Rice Krispies®)
¾ cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips, divided
1 cup unsweetened coconut (optional)

1. Line a 13 x 9 baking pan with foil, allowing the ends of the foil to drape over the ends of the pan. Spray the foil lightly with cooking spray.
  2. Measure rice cereal and coconut into a mixing bowl. Combine them together. Set aside
  3. Measure ½ cup miniature chocolate chips. Set aside.
  4. Set butter and marshmallows in a large, microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 1 minute. Remove the bowl from the oven and stir. Return bowl to the oven. Microwave in 30-second increments, removing the bowl and stirring the marshmallow mixture each time until it is smooth.
  5. When the marshmallow mixture is ready, pour it into the rice cereal mixture. Stir quickly, combining thoroughly to coat the cereal. As the coated cereal cools, the melted marshmallows will begin to look stringy. At this point, fold ½ cup miniature chocolate chips into the coated cereal.
  6. With a piece of waxed paper or wet fingers, press the cereal mixture in the prepared baking pan. Flatten the cereal evenly in the pan. Sprinkle the remaining ¼ cup miniature chocolate chips evenly over the surface. Press the chips into the cereal.
  7. Allow cookies to set up for 30 minutes. You can place the pan in the refrigerator 15-30 minutes or longer to speed up the process.
  8. Lift the foil ends to remove the bars from the pan. Set the bars on a cutting board. Peel back the foil. Use a long bread knife to cut the bars into 2-inch squares.
  9. Store bars in an airtight container with waxed paper in between layers.

Old 11-02-2016, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
omgloss! speaking of toaster ovens ...I bought one it wasn't expensive but the other day I put taco shells in there to toast them a bit and they caught fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I panicked it flamed up and reached the cupboard so I poured a glass of water..i know I shouldn't have but its easier said than done when situations like that occur and I am really afraid of fire.

Old 11-02-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Well, tell her it's an OVEN, not a refrigerator. Our ovens routinely reach 450°F. I would demand the oven be repaired properly, as it's a hazard in its current state.
the thing is with this landlord she tries to be friendly with me..we talk like friends she lives in the building its a 2 family but it seems when I tell her what needs fixed she puts it off as long as she can and then finally she will send anyone she can find..when I needed a leak fixed she found a local druggie that I see at the local corner store..i did not want that man in my apartment so I started an argument on purpose with him til he left
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or