Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 11:55 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times

Advertisements

I wanted to do something a bit different last night for a side dish. I use a lot of garlic but I had never roasted a full head of garlic before.

I cut the top off just enough to expose the cut cloves, drizzled it with olive oil, S&P, put in small dish, covered with tin foil, and cooked it for 35 minutes at 375 in my toaster oven. I know it can be cooked just wrapped in foil too. I found about half a box of cooked and frozen penne pasta which I took out to defrost.

I sauteed a large chopped onion in olive oil and butter, added about 2 cups of partially thawed cherry tomatoes from the summer garden and cooked till the tomatoes started to split. Next I added a bunch of Italian seasoning, S&P, added the thawed pasta, the cooled down and chopped roasted garlic (it has to be cool in order to squeeze it out) and tossed it all and cooked a few more minutes. I served it with fresh parmesan on top. It was very good and I was surprised at how mild the garlic was. Everybody in my family really liked it.

One complaint is that the pasta was really not hot enough for me while the tomatoes were really hot, especially when they burst in your mouth! I think I should have put the pasta in some boiling water first to make sure it was heated through. If I was making the dish without frozen pasta it would not have been a problem. I thought about making a cream sauce with the garlic and pasta but I didn't want to mix tomatoes with cream sauce.

Would you do anything different with these ingredients? I still have a whole bunch of frozen cherry tomatoes to enjoy over the winter and I like to dress up Ragu with them on nights I have to get something on the table in a hurry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 12:54 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Mix-in some fresh chopped parsley at the end, before you add the parmesan, for some visual appeal and brightness.

Old 12-01-2016, 01:15 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times
How about some roasted red peppers to add flavor and color?

Old 12-01-2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Mix-in some fresh chopped parsley at the end, before you add the parmesan, for some visual appeal and brightness.
I'm sad to say my parsley died in the first frost but I should have used some dried. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
How about some roasted red peppers to add flavor and color?
DH does not do peppers. He says all peppers talk back to him. Are roasted red peppers hot or "zippy" like regular peppers? I've never cooked with them except for company when DH wasn't home! That was a long time ago.

Old 12-01-2016, 01:51 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Roasting makes red peppers pretty mellow.

Old 12-01-2016, 01:57 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,556,355 times
I like to roast the garlic, and then whip some real butter with mixer. Add into mixing bowl the
roasted garlic, some fresh chopped basil, grated parmesan and some olive oil. It makes a great spread to put on Italian bread for toasting. Adding some shredded mozzarella to the loaf that been sliced in half, wrapped in aluminum foil, and toast at 400 for about 20 minutes.
Really tasty!

Old 12-01-2016, 01:58 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
I just spread the roasted garlic straight on crusty warm bread.

Old 12-01-2016, 02:14 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,475,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
DH does not do peppers. He says all peppers talk back to him. Are roasted red peppers hot or "zippy" like regular peppers? I've never cooked with them except for company when DH wasn't home! That was a long time ago.
If we are talking about red bell peppers, they are sweet peppers and contain no capsaicin. Absolutely no "hot" to them. You could rub them in your eyes and suffer no ill effects. If it's for some other reason he can't "do" peppers, that is another matter. All peppers are considered a fruit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_pepper

Old 12-01-2016, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
I like to roast the garlic, and then whip some real butter with mixer. Add into mixing bowl the
roasted garlic, some fresh chopped basil, grated parmesan and some olive oil. It makes a great spread to put on Italian bread for toasting. Adding some shredded mozzarella to the loaf that been sliced in half, wrapped in aluminum foil, and toast at 400 for about 20 minutes.
Really tasty!
That sounds very yummy. Will definitely have to try this.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
If we are talking about red bell peppers, they are sweet peppers and contain no capsaicin. Absolutely no "hot" to them. You could rub them in your eyes and suffer no ill effects. If it's for some other reason he can't "do" peppers, that is another matter. All peppers are considered a fruit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_pepper
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Roasting makes red peppers pretty mellow.
That is exactly what I've been trying to tell him for 40 years! But once he gets something in his mind it stays. He won't touch sour cream cause he thinks it's sour!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes