U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 01:51 PM

1,183 posts, read 338,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
You're welcome. I remembered reading about Mr. Weaver's 1st book, which was a compendium of very old Quaker recipes. I know he's written books since then. I'm pretty sure that the Hannah Glasse cookbook is also available. If I remember correctly, she wrote the first English language cookbook in the 1700s. It's referenced frequently in episodes of A Taste of History.
I think that title is taken by the Forme of Cury. Which has no curry recipes in it btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 03:19 PM

24,763 posts, read 23,720,795 times
My mother baked her mince pies in Maid of Honour tartlet pans. Why? Because her mother and grandmother had. Mom grew up in England. Granny was born in the late 1800s and had grown up on a farm. I find it hard to believe that great gran had fancy tins, but who am I to question that?

Effie's Bakewells {or maybe they're Maid of Honour tartlets} - Vagabond Baker

Old 01-08-2019, 04:15 PM

5,182 posts, read 1,025,373 times
I don't know who this woman is. She may be famous in Britian.

This is a three part video.

This British woman cooks a mincemeat pie in one of them. Nor sure which, can't remember.

Worth watching all of them. Interesting and the foods look so good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYZCu-wM5SQ&t=6s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvMX1C4RCY8&t=1s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOfgqIa4d6M&t=2s

Old 01-08-2019, 04:26 PM

11,006 posts, read 17,492,650 times
Delia is very famous.

Old 01-08-2019, 04:27 PM

19,642 posts, read 18,705,298 times
We may make some more mince tarts! dh gave one from the last batch to a clerk at CVS and everyone in there was jealous. Now he's promised to make some for everyone. And leave one or two for me.

But the Cross&Blackwell mincemeat was too sweet. We have some other brand from last year that he's going to try.

I never wanted to make mincemeat from scratch. I think my old recipe called for starting it in October or November. It had to sit for a few months and I am not that much into cooking. Not anymore, anyway. It was the old fashioned type of recipe that called for suet and was probably very good.

Old 01-08-2019, 05:24 PM

24,763 posts, read 23,720,795 times
I made them last year and thought it was too sweet. It didn't look the same, either. Good old Cross and Blackwell has cheaped out.

Old 01-08-2019, 05:39 PM

19,642 posts, read 18,705,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I made them last year and thought it was too sweet. It didn't look the same, either. Good old Cross and Blackwell has cheaped out.
I think so too. Won't use them again. Someone on here said that if it was too sweet you could spread it out with more raisins and add some more brandy. I guess you could stretch it with other things--chopped apples, currants, but it seems that you have to do something now to get rid of the lack of flavor and overflow of sugar.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:29 PM

21,881 posts, read 27,145,371 times
Quote:
Check the sources that I listed and see how they look to you.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:09 AM

1,183 posts, read 338,016 times
Quote:
My mother baked her mince pies in Maid of Honour tartlet pans. Why? Because her mother and grandmother had. Mom grew up in England. Granny was born in the late 1800s and had grown up on a farm. I find it hard to believe that great gran had fancy tins, but who am I to question that?

Effie's Bakewells {or maybe they're Maid of Honour tartlets} - Vagabond Baker

Now you got me thinking about Bakewells, which are better than mince pies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes