U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 08:18 AM

15,011 posts, read 18,869,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Roasted tomatoes. Also, pineapple is good when roasted.
I'm with you on the roasted tomatoes. I keep some in the freezer. Love them on salmon.

I've roasted (and grilled) pineapple. I actually think it becomes TOO sweet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 09:26 AM

2,895 posts, read 1,635,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'm with you on the roasted tomatoes. I keep some in the freezer. Love them on salmon.

I've roasted (and grilled) pineapple. I actually think it becomes TOO sweet!
That is exactly how I felt about grilled pineapple when I tried it. I'll stick to eating it out of the fridge.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:01 AM

811 posts, read 722,113 times
Mattie, if you're not into desserts (me neither), that roasted fruit (and the reduction idea) works great on a myriad of proteins. I make quick jams that have a touch of savory in them (some kind of allium, or the like) to put on meaty stuff all of the time. Try roasted blackberries or blueberries + shallots (with the olive oil, s + p) over salmon or pork.

Roasted grapes are really good in pasta. Try linguini in a simple sauce made from olive oil, pasta water, dry white wine, roasted grapes (scrape all of the juices off that roasting pan!), gorgonzola, and toasted walnuts. Season to taste and you've got something special in 20 minutes.

Old 01-11-2017, 01:05 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,834,906 times
Quote:
...I've roasted (and grilled) pineapple. I actually think it becomes TOO sweet!
I don't think I've ever uttered the phrase "This is too sweet."

Old 01-12-2017, 01:48 PM

15,038 posts, read 8,396,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I'm a big fan of tossing vegetables with olive oil and roasting them till they caramelize. I had never though to do the same with fruit, until I read a magazine article this week that suggested roasting grapes. The process is the same, toss with olive oil, salt and pepper, roast a 450 for about 30 minutes. The recipe then called for adding them to a red wine reduction and using as a dessert topping.

Well, I have grapes, but dessert sauces aren't really my thing. And I started wondering about whether or not roasting fruits would make them even sweeter, much as it does for vegetables. Has anybody roasted other fruits,and what did you use them for?
My parents used to cut grapefruit in half, top them with brown sugar and put them under the broiler for a few minutes. They would grill tomatoes outside like hamburgers and my grandmother would put sugar on hers at the table.

Old 01-14-2017, 07:37 AM

15,011 posts, read 18,869,495 times
This showed up in my email this morn8ng, and I remembered this thread. Oven Roasted Grapes Recipe from Mozza at Home

Old 01-14-2017, 05:15 PM

13,136 posts, read 20,702,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
My parents used to cut grapefruit in half, top them with brown sugar and put them under the broiler for a few minutes. They would grill tomatoes outside like hamburgers and my grandmother would put sugar on hers at the table.
That's the only way I enjoy grapefruit! I use regular sugar and a touch of cinnamon. It's delicious.

Old 01-14-2017, 05:19 PM

13,136 posts, read 20,702,481 times
Quote:
This showed up in my email this morn8ng, and I remembered this thread. Oven Roasted Grapes Recipe from Mozza at Home
You've piqued my interest with this recipe. I never did roast those grapes, by the time I was ready to do so, there was mold present. When I was a kid I spent the weekend with a school friend. Her parents took us out to dinner, and I order an entree of chicken with grapes. Whatever I expected, it wasn't what I got. The grapes probably were roasted in a wine reduction, and I hated it. Hopefully my palate is a bit more adventuresome these days.

Old 01-14-2017, 05:25 PM

27,139 posts, read 29,534,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I'm a big fan of tossing vegetables with olive oil and roasting them till they caramelize. I had never though to do the same with fruit, until I read a magazine article this week that suggested roasting grapes. The process is the same, toss with olive oil, salt and pepper, roast a 450 for about 30 minutes. The recipe then called for adding them to a red wine reduction and using as a dessert topping.

Well, I have grapes, but dessert sauces aren't really my thing. And I started wondering about whether or not roasting fruits would make them even sweeter, much as it does for vegetables. Has anybody roasted other fruits,and what did you use them for?
Try figs, pears, stone fruit. All are tasty when roasted. I have used them with salads or chicken and seafood. Also had them as part of a salsa!

I think fruits generally with some tart are good for roasting. Figs are so sweet, you should think of pairing with something tart - I did Greek yogurt.

And at a restaurant. The best French toast I ever had was brioche toast on top of strawberries roasted in a cast iron pan. It was magical.

Old 01-15-2017, 04:49 PM

36,480 posts, read 41,660,628 times
Citrus.

I've made roast potatoes that are seasoned with dill and lemon zest, and tossed sliced lemon in with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or