U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 08:44 AM

64 posts, read 16,008 times

Advertisements

I like to eat it thinly sliced and mean very thin, 1/4 inch. You can cook it to medium quicker when it’s thin, slight pink in the center, but cooked. Make a sauce out of onion, butter and cumin works well with calves liver. My favorite restaurant makes it this way, really is yummy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 02:04 PM

8,156 posts, read 11,053,287 times
Stick with chicken livers. Taste better, easy to cook.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:51 AM

36,981 posts, read 45,435,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Wow, no wonder people don't like liver. Soaking? Boiling? No.

Take calves liver and coat lightly with flour, salt and pepper. Coat a big fry pan with 1/4" bacon fat or oil. Over medium high heat, fry until golden brown on both sides, but still barely pink in the center. Keep warm in the oven, and serve with caramelized onions, and mashed potatoes.

I saw a suggestion about soaking in milk, so I tried it a few times ago. The texture was awful. It was a gummy unpleasant texture.
Just to add to the above: I dont know if anyone has mentioned that you can just throw liver on the grill and it comes out good.

Old 02-13-2019, 05:01 AM

1,199 posts, read 293,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Stick with chicken livers. Taste better, easy to cook.
Love dirty rice with lots of chicken livers. Boudin with pork liver is also great. I worked in a grocery store butcher dept as a teen. One of the butchers asked me if I knew how to tell if beef liver was good. I didn't know. He proceeded to take a 1/2" thick piece and throw it to the ceiling where it stuck. He said if it stuck there for 5 minutes, it was a good piece. It was still stuck there when I got off shift.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:37 AM

8,210 posts, read 6,088,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
This - but "done" is barely medium rare. Nothing worse than grey liver.

Bacon optional, but I prefer a splash of apple cider vinegar just before it's done.
^^Bingo^^ The last deer I shot this fall I did that...So tasty...But I sliced it thin and cooked it maybe 90 seconds a side in a hot skillet...

Liver is more like wild birds in that if you overcook it, its awful. A steak or chicken breast is "less good" if its overcooked but not "bad."
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
I'd heard of the Rusty Nail, but never knew what it was, so I looked it up. Drambuie and Scotch. Sounds pretty dreaded to me. In fact, it sounds like a perfect drink to accompany a meal of liver.
It sounds like something my grandfather would have served in an Amber Georgian tumbler with a bicentennial swizzle stick at a fondue party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Let's just say that when doing an autopsy, the first thing you take out is the rib cage. Turn that puppy over, inside out, and it looks EXACTLY like pork ribs. I say, "no thanks." You can have my order.

But I love chicken gizzards. Cooked right, I eat them like candy. They are something you only see in birds. They look nothing like any organ you see in people.
I find gizzards overly tough no matter what. Fun fact, its actually how they chew. Chickens, doves, turkeys, pheasants, etc pick and swallow small rocks that are used to masticate food they eat like seeds and bugs.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:51 AM

6,778 posts, read 3,673,231 times
Season liver.
Saute onions in butter.
Dredge liver in flour and buttermilk.
Throw liver in trash.
Substitute sirloin, rib eye, or even frozen hamburger.

Liver has to be the most vile thing I've ever tasted. There is simply no way to make it good.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:55 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,358,381 times
This thread reminded me of a great fresh killed possum recipe I have: (just substitute liver for possum)

1- possum (semi-fresh killed)
2 large onions
4 stalks celery
2 tomatoes (cut in half)
1 Tsp salt
1 Tsp pepper
2 minced or pressed garlic cloves
1 large flat clean hickory board

Place possum on hickory board
stuff possum with all other ingredients except salt and pepper. Salt and pepper just before putting in oven.

Cook in 350 degree oven for 2 1/2 hours.

When done remove from oven, scrape everything on hickory board into trash and eat board.

Old 02-15-2019, 02:15 AM

17,769 posts, read 53,934,698 times
Maybe liver threads should be in politics and other controversies. What a bunch of babies!

A lot of people are sensitive to the higher iron content. Some of us aren't. I find that some beef and calf liver has a sweet taste when properly cooked. Cook apples and onions with it, along with some oil/butter/bacon fat and that sweetness can come out.

The other offal that can be good, but is almost impossible to find these days, is beef kidney. Sometimes tongue is still available.
BTW, pig ears is a soul food. What I've had was tough and nothing to write home about.

The only offal I find awful is tripe. It literally makes me physically ill to even smell it.

Old 02-15-2019, 04:19 AM

19,684 posts, read 19,794,106 times
I've never been that fond of beef liver but made into pate to eat with crackers…..luscious!
Used to make a ton of it when we had one or two deer livers.
I do like chicken livers, though, just as they are.

Old 02-15-2019, 05:27 AM

1,046 posts, read 482,680 times
Liver with onions sautéed in bacon fat.. Yum.

Although calling liver and kidneys and tripe (stomach) "offal" is technically correct, I would venture that as our tastes are becoming more diverse, we are more comfortable with the term "organ meat."

Now, the smell of cooking tripe doesn't bother me, but kidney does. Solution - do the pre-boil of either outside on a windy day.

Tripe Lyonnais might change your mind, HC. Or a yummy tripe and white bean stew, with onions and garlic and tomatoes. (I'd add carrots also)

The Lyonnais method (basically sautéed with onions and potatoes, a bit of garlic and thyme, then baked) would also work with liver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or