U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 08:02 AM

36,856 posts, read 45,285,942 times

Advertisements

I am intrigued by the concept of "cooking" fish in acid. I have had ceviche a few times and I've enjoyed it. Like gazpacho, it seems like a refreshing summer dish.

Here is the recipe I'm planning to try...

Classic Ceviche (Art Smith)

1# Mahi mahi, or other fresh fish, cubed
2 cups fresh lime or lemon juice
1/2 t. Sugar
Pinch salt

I red onion, minced
1 Serrano pepper, seeded and minced
Pinch black pepper
1 ripe avocado, diced
*Olive oil

Cover fish with juice, salt and sugar. Chill for 4-6 hours. Drain gently.

Toss with onion and peppers.
Toss with avocado just before serving. Adjust seasoning. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil.

*i have been reading the Back To The Family cookbook, by Art Smith. Two recipes, so far are missing instructions, or incomplete in some way. Aren't there proof readers anymore?
So, the recipe doesn't give a clue how much, or what to do with the olive oil. The drizzle part, I made up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 09:21 AM

14,999 posts, read 18,814,413 times
Your spot on with a light drizzle. And unless you like really hot stuff, I'd switch out the Serrano for a jalapeno.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Your spot on with a light drizzle. And unless you like really hot stuff, I'd switch out the Serrano for a jalapeno.
Thanks for the heads up.

Old 01-29-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I found the recipe on amazon. It specifies 1.5-2 c. of citrus juice. I would start with the lesser amount. My first reaction was that that's a lot of juice for just 1# of fish. And yes, the olive oil amount will depend on how you need to balance its flavor with that of the lime juice and salt.
My feeling was the fish needs to be submerged in the citrus juice, so I would go with more. The juice gets drained off before serving.

Old 01-29-2017, 02:03 PM

8,094 posts, read 11,005,833 times
LOVE ceviche! Glad you posted this. Works well with snapper, too.

Old 01-29-2017, 02:37 PM

17,437 posts, read 20,773,839 times
Never made it but I have eaten it not knowing what it was at first LOL. Went to a restaurant in NYC called one if by land two if by sea and the ceviche was served soon as we sat down. It was a small taste and I did not ask what it was I just ate it and liked it. DH then told me it was ceviche. I like it and would try it again.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:15 AM

12,448 posts, read 10,807,468 times
I use Corvina and shrimp for ceviche.

Old 01-30-2017, 05:48 PM

324 posts, read 155,747 times
My version of cerviche:

1 pound seabass filets (boneless, skinless), thinly sliced (1/8" thick, 1" by 1" pieces), pat dry, put in a bowl.

Enough of freshly squeezed lime juice to cover the fish.

After soaking in lime juice at room temperature for 2 hours (stir occasionally), squeeze the lime juice out of the fish using cheesecloth or the palms of your hands.

Season the lime-cooked fish with sea salt/freshly grinded black pepper, 1 teaspoon of sugar, about 1" long of fresh ginger (grated), a few dashes of fishsauce, a couple handful of chopped fresh rice paddy herb, 1/3 sweet or yellow onion thinly sliced, a couple table spoons of coarsely chopped roasted peanuts. Mix well, put in the refrigerator for another 15-30'. Serve with rice crackers :-)

Old 01-31-2017, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut4sweets View Post
My version of cerviche:

1 pound seabass filets (boneless, skinless), thinly sliced (1/8" thick, 1" by 1" pieces), pat dry, put in a bowl.

Enough of freshly squeezed lime juice to cover the fish.

After soaking in lime juice at room temperature for 2 hours (stir occasionally), squeeze the lime juice out of the fish using cheesecloth or the palms of your hands.

Season the lime-cooked fish with sea salt/freshly grinded black pepper, 1 teaspoon of sugar, about 1" long of fresh ginger (grated), a few dashes of fishsauce, a couple handful of chopped fresh rice paddy herb, 1/3 sweet or yellow onion thinly sliced, a couple table spoons of coarsely chopped roasted peanuts. Mix well, put in the refrigerator for another 15-30'. Serve with rice crackers :-)
That sounds Thai-ish, with the ginger and peanuts. I'd like to try it, but I've never heard of rice paddy herb.

Old 01-31-2017, 01:07 PM

324 posts, read 155,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
That sounds Thai-ish, with the ginger and peanuts. I'd like to try it, but I've never heard of rice paddy herb.
It's Vietnamese style. Rice paddy herb is usually used in Vietnamese dishes, especially for sweet and sour Vietnamese soup. It has a lemon/cumin taste to it. It's called ng̣ om in Vietnamese. You can get it at any Vietnamese/Chinese supermarket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes