U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 12:22 PM

7,216 posts, read 12,655,064 times

Advertisements

Hi, all. Last weekend I had crock pot pot roast for dinner and it turned out great ...

I was very lazy and used something new, Stouffer's Slow Cooker Pot Roast Starter. Basically, it's a big bag of frozen veggies -- there's also sauce, of course, but I think that would be created ANYWAY as the roast cooks? (That is, there's no separate bag of sauce mix!) I used a couple of pounds of London broil beef shoulder steaks for the meat -- not "traditional" for pot roast but it turned out absolutely delicious, with the meat totally falling apart after 7 hours on low.

Anyway, now I'm thinking, do I really need to spend almost 5 bucks on the Stouffer's pot roast starter when all it includes are the veggies -- which of course I can buy myself much more cheaply? So today when I was at the grocery store I bought 4 lbs. of red potatoes ($2.50), a couple of yellow onions (99 cents/lb.), and a big bag of baby carrots (a couple of dollars IIRC for a huge bag -- I LOVE cooked carrots!). I think I will likely use maybe $2-3 worth of the veggies the next time I make pot roast in the crock pot, and likely less meat too -- the dish would have been totally fine with maybe 2/3 of the amount of meat I used (the Stouffer's bag called for 2 lbs.), so this time I will likely go with ~1.3 lbs. of beef.

So I have been looking at recipes online, and I can't figure out where the "sauce" flavor comes from? That is, most recipes have few if any spices -- I've seen a bit of rosemary and thyme (both of which I love) and salt and pepper of course, but not much else. Some recipes suggest adding a dry soup mix, but I've never cooked with that before so am a bit skeptical (although not snobby about it -- i.e., I often used canned soups in the crock pot, but they're not really suited to beef pot roast ... at least they don't seem to be!).

Any suggestions? How do you make the sauce in your crock pot pot roast taste great?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 12:32 PM

22,533 posts, read 24,125,101 times
My mom, in traditional mid-70s Midwestern flair, has always mixed a can of cream of mushroom soup with a packet of Lipton onion soup mix for her crock-pot pot roast. It may not be fancy, but it's comfort food for me.

Old 04-13-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
My mom, in traditional mid-70s Midwestern flair, has always mixed a can of cream of mushroom soup with a packet of Lipton onion soup mix for her crock-pot pot roast. It may not be fancy, but it's comfort food for me.
Hi Fleetiebelle! I often use cream of mushroom soup as a "base" for crock pot dinners (like beef stroganoff) -- just wasn't sure it would work for pot roast. Alas, I don't have any onion soup mix (and I was just at the grocery store today, so I won't be back there for a week if I can help it!) -- the only dry soup mix I have is Lipton's savory herb & garlic -- I wonder if that would work? (It's this one: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AQM73NY .)

What do you think?

Old 04-13-2017, 01:00 PM

22,533 posts, read 24,125,101 times
Herb and garlic sounds like it would be good. (And if you don't like it, blame my Mom )

Old 04-13-2017, 01:01 PM

3,991 posts, read 3,213,883 times
Onion soup mix is good. Theres lots you can add that will create really great flavor. Soy sauce, worchestershire sauce, red wine vinegar, garlic powder, salt and pepper. So many combinations, really cant go wrong with any of them. A little cornstarch mixed with water added at the end will thicken up the juices for more of a gravy if you're so inclined.

Old 04-13-2017, 02:25 PM

12,446 posts, read 10,891,751 times
Here's my recipe for great-tasting crockpot braised short ribs. It creates a wonderful, rich sauce.

Braised Short Ribs in Crockpot

Three-four pounds of short ribs
Three cups red wine
Two cups chicken stock (only use beef stock if you make it yourself or you find a brand you like)
Two medium yellow onions (chopped)
Four cloves garlic (minced)
Three ribs of celery
Three medium carrots
Several sprigs of FRESH thyme (don't use that dried stuff - it tastes like diesel fuel)
Two bay leaves
One pound sliced mushrooms
Two tablespoons tomato paste
Two tablespoons flour
Some cooking oil
Salt/pepper to taste

Some of you may like to add some oregano and/or rosemary (I add a bit of each when I do this recipe with chicken).

Brown the short ribs in hot oil then place ribs in crock pot.
Saute the chopped onions, sliced carrots, garlic, and sliced celery in the pan you browned the ribs and cook until the onions are tender.
Add flour and tomato paste to the vegetable mix and stir to incorporate.
Add some of the wine to the vegetable mix to deglaze the pan.
Pour the vegetable mix over the ribs in the crockpot.
Add the remaining wine and chicken stock to the crockpot.
Add thyme and bay leaves to the crockpot.
Brown the mushroom slices in hot oil then add them to the crockpot.
Set the crockpot on low and cook for 6-8 hours.

You're going to love the aroma of this stuff cooking - you can also substitute other cuts of beef that benefit from low-and-slow cooking (it's even great with chicken leg quarters).

Serve the ribs and gravy in a bowl, over boiled new potatoes that have been crushed in the bowl with a fork - and don't forget some crusty bread.

Old 04-13-2017, 02:28 PM

33,876 posts, read 42,085,992 times
Beefy Onion mix and Golden Mushroom soup. Add drippings from roast when finished to potato water in a sauce pan to make gravy.

I'll usually throw in baby carrots to cook with the roast.

Old 04-13-2017, 03:12 PM

39,335 posts, read 2,970,878 times
I coat the meat in flour or a mix of flour & gravy mix. I add red wine for the liquid ( only a small amount) & a bay leaf or two. If it is too liquid when it is time to eat, I add more gravy powder & let it cook longer, or do it in a pan on the stove.

Old 04-13-2017, 03:35 PM

18,347 posts, read 23,510,540 times
looks great

Karen, if you are willing to make a video on how to cook this - at a store in new Hampshire,

I will pay for your next chuck roast

Old 04-13-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
looks great

Karen, if you are willing to make a video on how to cook this - at a store in new Hampshire,

I will pay for your next chuck roast
LOL! Honestly, the instructions would be "dump ingredients into crock pot, turn on crock pot, go about your day, 7 hours later come home to a great-smelling house, eat a lovely dinner with your kitties hanging out hoping for leftovers." I wish I could take more credit but the crock pot does the "work"! And MBM, can I say I LOVE the shoulder steak London broils that I buy whenever they go on sale at Hannaford (or elsewhere) ... they ALWAYS turn our GREAT in the crock pot! (I have learned so much about different cuts of meat from you! )

And to everyone else: wow, there are so many great suggestions! CarnivalDay and Evening Sun, I will have to try the variations you mentioned. Dirt Grinder, your recipe sounds amazing and I will try it the next time I buy short ribs -- right now I'm looking for pot roast suggestions (but reps to you anyway, I can't wait to try the recipe!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Beefy Onion mix and Golden Mushroom soup. Add drippings from roast when finished to potato water in a sauce pan to make gravy.

I'll usually throw in baby carrots to cook with the roast.
North Beach Person, I am a bit confused by this ^^^ since I am cooking in a crock pot -- there really aren't "pan drippings" like you get when roasting in the oven or cooking on the stovetop. And I definitely will add a bunch of carrots to the crockpot -- I love cooked carrots!

Thanks and reps to all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or