Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 01:56 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,025,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
Making mayonnaise is one of the first things that one learns in chef school. The reality, though, is that Hellmann's/Best Foods mayo just tastes so good on sandwiches, and Kraft mayo is perfect (neutral taste) for salads and dressings.
Dukes was the brand I bought but all the above have sugar and soybean oil as an ingredient
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2017, 01:58 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,025,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I watch Martha Stuarts cooking school program everyday ,last week she did a show on home made mayonnaise.one can get quite creative with the product.=
Basic Mayonnaise
Thanks for the link. I always add a spoon of spicy mustard to my basic recipe

Old 04-23-2017, 03:38 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Dirt Grinder: have you tried Kewpie mayonnaise yet? Japanese Mayo? I could eat that stuff with a spoon.
Yep, I use it for making Kani salad, crab salad for California rolls, and for raw scallop salad. I love that squishy container it comes in.

Old 04-23-2017, 03:53 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,906,520 times
Now, I do like making my own mayonnaise when it is a main ingredient of a cooking recipe (eg. tomato pie), when making a flavored aioli sauce, or as a thickener (eg. moules mariniere).

Old 04-23-2017, 09:12 PM

32,933 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Dirt Grinder: have you tried Kewpie mayonnaise yet? Japanese Mayo? I could eat that stuff with a spoon.
I wonder how this compares?

Japanese-Style (Kewpie) Mayo Recipe | Serious Eats

Old 04-23-2017, 10:28 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It has all the right ingredients for a tasty mayo. I always have Hon Dashi granules on-hand, so I can whip-up a quick udon or miso soup without running to the Asian market for Bonito flakes.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:46 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I like to cook, but this is way too much trouble for me instead of a quick trip to the Asian market. In my 'hood, I can even buy this stuff from Walmart on the free deliver to store program - it's CHEAPER than the Asian market!

Old 04-25-2017, 09:56 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
This Kewpie stuff that you're talking about... I wonder if it's the same as this: WAFU | WAFU® MAYONAIZU® | Japanese Mayo | Japanese Mayonnaise-Style Spread

I see the Wafu mayo all the time at my grocery stores but never bought it. If you think that it's the same as (or similar to) Kewpie, what's the story with Kewpie? How is it different from regular mayo?

PS. I love mayonnaise.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:40 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
This Kewpie stuff that you're talking about... I wonder if it's the same as this: WAFU | WAFU® MAYONAIZU® | Japanese Mayo | Japanese Mayonnaise-Style Spread

I see the Wafu mayo all the time at my grocery stores but never bought it. If you think that it's the same as (or similar to) Kewpie, what's the story with Kewpie? How is it different from regular mayo?

PS. I love mayonnaise.
Not the same. Waft is flavored mayo - wasabi, sesame, etc.

Kewpie is mayo that just tastes a little different than regular mayo. Sweeter, richer, creamier - to my taste buds. Sort of like a really good cabernet versus a cheap cabernet. They have similar profiles but not the same flavor and mouth feel.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:47 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
Quote:
Not the same. Waft is flavored mayo - wasabi, sesame, etc.

Kewpie is mayo that just tastes a little different than regular mayo. Sweeter, richer, creamier - to my taste buds. Sort of like a really good cabernet versus a cheap cabernet. They have similar profiles but not the same flavor and mouth feel.
Got it! I mean, I *won't* get the Wafu stuff; I get what you're saying. I'll be on the lookout for Kewpie. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes