Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 09:26 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,432,242 times

Advertisements

This is going to sound weird, but bear with me.

My mother will be celebrating her 85th birthday this June, and is traveling here to have a party with my brother's family and mine. One thing she loves most in the world is her Mother's Swedish Spice Cake. Since my Mom wasn't a big baker and I was, I got "custody" of the Spice Cake Pan (it's an odd size) and make them for her whenever I will see her. I will be doing this again for her Birthday. I am planning on making two cakes and a batch of cupcakes/muffin like thingies.

I have not tried the cupcakes/muffins before, but I want to do a "special finish" on the top. I am thinking that large crystal sugar like you'd find on a muffin.

What I don't know is what that large crystal sugar's name is and I need to have husband buy it.

Can you tell me what type of Sugar I need him to get? I know exactly what I want, I just don't know it's NAME. Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 09:36 AM

5,489 posts, read 6,092,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post

What I don't know is what that large crystal sugar's name is and I need to have husband buy it.
LOL I wish I could help but I had to laugh at this. I feel you!

Old 05-24-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
LOL I wish I could help but I had to laugh at this. I feel you!
It IS kind of funny - especially when I try to describe something and he comes out with something totally that I didn't ask for or want - sometimes I just don't know WHAT he is "hearing"! And I get specific - the brand name, the size of the box, a description - but somehow those things get all mixed in his head and when he shakes it loose, it turns into something altogether different.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:47 AM

14,366 posts, read 9,744,114 times
Hi Missy... you want to get Course White or Course Gold sugar. It looks almost like pretzel salt. Target sells it, and also Amazon. If the course sugars are too large, you can try Sanding Sugar or Pearl Sugar (the later isn't quite as crunchy)

Old 05-24-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
hi missy... You want to get course white or course gold sugar. It looks almost like pretzel salt. Target sells it, and also amazon. If the course sugars are too large, you can try sanding sugar or pearl sugar (the later isn't quite as crunchy)
Thanks!!!!!!!

Old 05-24-2017, 10:42 AM

15,114 posts, read 27,595,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
It IS kind of funny - especially when I try to describe something and he comes out with something totally that I didn't ask for or want - sometimes I just don't know WHAT he is "hearing"! And I get specific - the brand name, the size of the box, a description - but somehow those things get all mixed in his head and when he shakes it loose, it turns into something altogether different.
Pencil and paper!

Old 05-24-2017, 10:58 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,838,716 times
This is probably the stuff you're looking for: Sparkling White Sugar - 15 oz.

Old 05-24-2017, 12:56 PM

Thanks, jay5835!

Old 05-24-2017, 02:37 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,039,375 times
Sparkling white sugar is actually carnuba sugar, a large crystal coated with edible wax.

Its used in restaurants for muffin topping or burning the caramel onto creme brule.
It doesn't dissolve on muffin tops or when sprinkled onto creme brule,
brule very often has condensation on top , ordinary sugar would dissolve and make caramelizing difficult.

I prefer regular granulated or sanding sugar, its less gritty, semi dissolves and makes a glaze on muffins.
The glaze seals in the moisture.

Large crystal carnuba sugar doesn't seal in moisture, it just adds decoration.
You can buy it in little containers at any supermkt, in the cake decorating isle. Same stuff.

You can read the ingredients in the sparkling sugar on the rear view, its right there, food grade carnuba wax.
https://www.amazon.com/India-Tree-Br.../dp/B001ELLB0W

Old 05-24-2017, 07:13 PM

Thanks! I will see what the store has but now I know what to tell him!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes