Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 03:14 AM

4,596 posts, read 3,271,309 times

Advertisements

Yep, no allowing to boil over!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 09:15 AM

7,263 posts, read 9,268,126 times
Summer borscht is a staple here. Mennonite Girls Can Cook: Flash Back Friday ~ Summer Borscht

There's no need to follow the recipe exactly and I prefer this borscht made with smoked farmer sausage rather than a ham hock but it's good either way. And I substitute buttermilk for sour cream. The greens are generally onion greens, beet leaves, dill and sorrel but spinach leaves can be substituted and a bit of lemon juice added to make up for the lack of sorrel if that is what is being substituted. I don't use any measurements. It's a handful of this and a handful of that.

Old 08-31-2017, 07:24 PM

744 posts, read 1,320,341 times
Default yummy greens

I've been eating turnip and beet greens for quite a long time. My favorite is a type of Asian
spinach from the farmer's market, which has huge leaves and is stronger than regular spinach.

Whatever the greens, I chop them in pieces, and steam them on low until ready,
which doesn't take very long. I like to eat them with butternut squash, or yams and potatoes.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:51 PM

128,934 posts, read 11,925,885 times
I stir fry with onion & garlic. I love them, & also radish greens.

Old 09-26-2017, 09:25 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,103,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I stir fry with onion & garlic. I love them, & also radish greens.
That's how I usually do them also. Sometimes I add some cumin seed to the oil to pop them before adding the greens.
And in soups.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:50 AM

128,934 posts, read 11,925,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
That's how I usually do them also. Sometimes I add some cumin seed to the oil to pop them before adding the greens.
And in soups.
Good idea, I must try that soon.

Old 09-26-2017, 05:20 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,743,246 times
I had problems with squirrel(s) that basically took a bite out of each beet thereby knocking over (decimating) the greens. I continued to water the beets and some new leaves are sprouting. This means that the beets should also be growing.

Normally, I use the greens in soups/stews and salads and they are delicious served that way. However now, I am salad'ed' out. So, when I harvest them sometime in the next week or two, I'll try sautéing them with some green onion and see how that it is. I'll also try cooking them like greens or spinach including a bit of bacon for seasoning.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:19 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
I had problems with squirrel(s) that basically took a bite out of each beet thereby knocking over (decimating) the greens. I continued to water the beets and some new leaves are sprouting. This means that the beets should also be growing.

Normally, I use the greens in soups/stews and salads and they are delicious served that way. However now, I am salad'ed' out. So, when I harvest them sometime in the next week or two, I'll try sautéing them with some green onion and see how that it is. I'll also try cooking them like greens or spinach including a bit of bacon for seasoning.
Never had beet greens, but arugula is delicious as a wilted salad served with the bacony dressing and hard boiled egg wedges. I like to squeeze a lemon wedge over it and serve it with sliced shallots (either sauteed in the bacon grease or raw).

Old 10-11-2017, 12:26 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,743,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Never had beet greens, but arugula is delicious as a wilted salad served with the bacony dressing and hard boiled egg wedges. I like to squeeze a lemon wedge over it and serve it with sliced shallots (either sauteed in the bacon grease or raw).

You should definitely give beet greens a try. Maybe add some to your next salad.

Old 10-11-2017, 04:56 PM

2,168 posts, read 1,276,570 times
I dunk them in boiling soup or consomme.
The Bear Cupboard: QUICK AND EASY CHICKEN SOUP WITH BEET GREENS AND TORTELLINI

If you consume a lot of greens like I do, boiling/cooking helps to reduce the oxalate content. Another good reason to cook the vegetables is that we are getting a lot imported produce sold as "locally grown", undercooked vegetables such as watercress etc may carry liver flukes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes