U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 10:56 PM

36,669 posts, read 41,948,231 times

Advertisements

I hate baked goods that have been refrigerated. It's why I generally make them from scratch and eat while fresh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 04:47 AM

11,142 posts, read 8,551,921 times
My quick, easy, go to recipe. I substitute instant coffee powder (cheap) for the espresso. It takes under 10 minutes to make this cake: Chocolate Loaf Cake Recipe | King Arthur Flour

Old 06-15-2017, 05:22 AM

11,166 posts, read 20,489,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
My quick, easy, go to recipe. I substitute instant coffee powder (cheap) for the espresso. It takes under 10 minutes to make this cake: Chocolate Loaf Cake Recipe | King Arthur Flour
Thanks!

Do you use the cake enhancer that the recipe calls for, or does it work without it?

Old 06-15-2017, 05:45 AM

3,732 posts, read 1,473,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I've always made my own cakes. It's only very recently, i.e., the 21st century, that bakeries have begun to make cakes I like as much as the ones I make. I haven't made a chocolate cake in a long time, but the one I used most often was the one on the can of Hershey's Cocoa. I believe this is it. I've heard the quality of Hershey's chocolate has gone down—I don't know about the cocoa—but I've taken to using Guittard brand chocolate products over the last few years.

https://www.hersheys.com/kitchens/en...late-cake.html

Maida Heatter also has some good chocolate cake recipes, including a chocolate buttermilk layer cake, and her Queen Mother's Cake is something I could never grow tired of. And there's another flourless chocolate torte recipe I've used dozens of times from Michael's of Santa Monica.

Mad About Maida: Chocolate Buttermilk Layer Cake

Flourless Chocolate Cake, Queen Mothers Cake Recipe | SAVEUR

https://michaelsrestaurants.wordpres...hocolate-cake/

N.B. I have never made cakes directly from these recipes, but rather from the cookbooks in which they originally appeared.
Heatters recipes are in a class of their own.
I converted a few into industrial sized formulas, they sold very well for decades.
Not cheap ingredients wise ,

btw most bakeries bake their cakes from commercial mixes these days.
The trade isn't dying, its dead.
In the past 2 yrs I've made 3 batches of genoise, most people want regular choc cake so its gonna be from mix. If I gave them sponge they'd complain. I gave up.

Last edited by jonesg; 06-15-2017 at 06:18 AM..

Old 06-15-2017, 07:39 AM

11,142 posts, read 8,551,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Thanks!

Do you use the cake enhancer that the recipe calls for, or does it work without it?
It works fine without the cake enhancer. Just don't overmix or overbake.

Last edited by charlygal; 06-15-2017 at 07:47 AM..

Old 06-15-2017, 09:41 AM

22,709 posts, read 28,757,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noregon98 View Post
I haven't tasted one in 5 or so years, but this 4 layer 7-pounder from Costco bakery has left half-eaten pieces in many peoples plates due to it's richness:....
My experience with the Costco bakery is that they turn out a product that is vastly superior to any other local bakery. Even the specialty bakery which is extremely high priced uses cake mix, canned fillings, and canned frosting.

The best baked goods come out of my own kitchen because I do not scrimp on the quality of ingredients.

(with the exception of a tiny bakery in Sisters Oregon that makes the very best bear claws in the entire world.)

Old 06-15-2017, 10:44 AM

15,253 posts, read 8,543,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Sometimes the issue with bakery cakes is that they're refrigerated and then you eat the slice cold. Chocolate cake has more flavor at room temperature than it does straight from the fridge.
I'm sure due to regulations they have to do it...and maybe people also do so at home....but growing up, cakes and fruit pies were always left on the counter, not refrigerated (unless cream-filled or a cream pie). Of course we didn't have desserts often so it would only be for a couple days but people seem to be much more careful now. Pie also has more flavor when not over-chilled.

Old 06-15-2017, 03:26 PM

3,732 posts, read 1,473,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Has anyone noticed most chocolate cakes from store bakeries do not taste like chocolate at all, they are just brown. Even the frosting doesn't taste like chocolate. Chocolate is one of my favorite things and these cakes are sweet, but they taste nothing like chocolate.

I think I will have to start making my own chocolate desserts. The stores seem to still do a good job with lemon flavored desserts. They just don't do chocolate well anymore.

Are the brown cakes everywhere?
Taste some chocolate, its hard to describe, its an experience of the palate.
As soon as you add anything to chocolate, the flavor , or experience, begins to diminish.

Adding cocoa powder to cake recipes is even further from the chocolate experience.

Making a cake from melted chocolate is better but its gonna be heavy and dense. AT that point you begin to wonder if it should be called cake, it is a cake shaped chocolate dessert, but cake? Chocolate pate?

Maida Heatters Toulouse de Lautrec cake is one of the most chocolate tasting "cakes" I ever made.
Starts with 1 lb of melted chocolate. Its barely 2 inches tall when baked, thats gonna be dense and rich.

https://books.google.com/books?id=py...20cake&f=false

Old 06-15-2017, 03:57 PM

769 posts, read 540,671 times
Yeah, my spouse and I call these colored cakes "brown tasting". I don't buy these grocery "chocolate" cakes anymore but instead go to more expensive bakeries that actually use real chocolate.

Old 06-15-2017, 04:27 PM

9,155 posts, read 8,671,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
As soon as you add anything to chocolate, the flavor, or experience, begins to diminish.

Adding cocoa powder to cake recipes is even further from the chocolate experience.

Making a cake from melted chocolate is better but its gonna be heavy and dense. AT that point you begin to wonder if it should be called cake, it is a cake shaped chocolate dessert, but cake? Chocolate pate?
What do you use to make a chocolate layer cake?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or