U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 02:46 PM

8,141 posts, read 11,038,023 times

Advertisements

Years ago I read that Jacques Pepin said that there was no difference between dried and fresh pasta. I've only made fresh ONCE but I agree. Do any of you make fresh pasta?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 03:17 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,834,906 times
Yes, I make fresh rolled/cut pasta. I find fresh pasta to be much more delicate than dried pasta. Fortunately, I don't care for "al dente" pasta (to me, it tastes like raw flour). Occasionally, I'll make fresh mozzarella and ricotta to go with the pasta.

For the record, we have dried pasta WAY more often than fresh pasta. Fresh pasta is more for special occasions or winter doldrums.

Old 06-15-2017, 03:44 PM

9,156 posts, read 8,632,549 times
They're different from each other: one is made with egg, the other is semolina and water. I'm surprised to hear Jacques Pepin said there's no difference. I like each, with a preference for the bite of fresh pasta, but I use them differently.

I would not think of making Lasagne Bolognese using anything other than sheets of egg pasta I'd made myself (I make my sauces the day before I make and bake the lasagne). If I'm feeling too lazy or my hands hurt, I use box pasta with my Bolognese sauces and Parmigiano-Reggiano, and make instead what I call Cavatappi Bolognese. It's like baked ziti, only better. It's nearly as good as the lasagne, but the macaroni just doesn't have the same toothsome quality egg pasta has.

However, like Dirt Grinder, I use box pasta most of the time.

Old 06-15-2017, 04:56 PM

9,078 posts, read 8,217,916 times
Because you can find good boxed pastas, rarely do I make my own.

But sometimes there is a difference between boxed.

Old 06-15-2017, 05:46 PM

36,488 posts, read 41,660,628 times
I've made it, and not found it to be enough of an improvement on premade to be worth the time or efffort.

Old 06-15-2017, 05:51 PM

36,947 posts, read 45,385,657 times
I have made it. I can make it, but I don't make it. I can buy fresh pasta if I want to, but I'm fine with hassle free dried.

We go to a restaurant that serves a pasta dish that seems more tender. I don't ask if it's made inhouse, because I prefer to think it is.

Old 06-16-2017, 12:13 AM

518 posts, read 247,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Years ago I read that Jacques Pepin said that there was no difference between dried and fresh pasta. I've only made fresh ONCE but I agree. Do any of you make fresh pasta?
How is there no different? What do you mean with " there is no different "...How can a Chef say this?

Old 06-16-2017, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
They're different from each other: one is made with egg, the other is semolina and water. I'm surprised to hear Jacques Pepin said there's no difference. I like each, with a preference for the bite of fresh pasta, but I use them differently.

I would not think of making Lasagne Bolognese using anything other than sheets of egg pasta I'd made myself (I make my sauces the day before I make and bake the lasagne). If I'm feeling too lazy or my hands hurt, I use box pasta with my Bolognese sauces and Parmigiano-Reggiano, and make instead what I call Cavatappi Bolognese. It's like baked ziti, only better. It's nearly as good as the lasagne, but the macaroni just doesn't have the same toothsome quality egg pasta has.

However, like Dirt Grinder, I use box pasta most of the time.
Sorry, but how do we mean with dried pasta? Because I see that there is a bit of confusion.
The fresh and dried pasta can be made both with eggs or without eggs and both with wheat flour or whole wheat flour ( semola ).

Old 06-16-2017, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Because you can find good boxed pastas, rarely do I make my own.

But sometimes there is a difference between boxed.
There is a lot of difference between brands.

Old 06-16-2017, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I've made it, and not found it to be enough of an improvement on premade to be worth the time or efffort.
Unfortunately make something at home not always it gives the best result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or