U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 04:45 PM

6,547 posts, read 3,105,193 times

Advertisements

Our grandchildren ages 4 and 12 are visiting next week.

I prefer southern style eggy baked mac and cheese, but I am sure they prefer creamy style mac and cheese.

Do any of you have kid tested recipes for creamy mac and cheese?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 05:53 PM

13,404 posts, read 21,971,521 times
My daughter, since the age of seven (she's now 11) prefers this recipe to all others including the blue box:

1 lb. box of preferred pasta (elbows, shells, rotini, etc.)
3 C milk
6 Tbsp Wondra
6 Tbsp + 4 Tbsp butter
1 tsp dry mustard
Cracked black pepper
3 C shredded extra sharp white cheddar
1 C panko crumbs

Cook the pasta as directed on the box and drain (do not rinse). In the same pot, add the milk, Wondra, 6 Tbsp butter, mustard, and pepper. Cook and stir with a whisk on medium heat until bubbling and thickened. Remove from heat, and with a spoon, stir in the cheese one cup at a time. If desired, save about 1/2 C of cheese to sprinkle on top. When the cheese has melted into the sauce, add as much pasta as you wish - I usually have a bit left over, depending on the type of pasta. Melt the 4 Tbsp butter in a Pyrex 2 Cup measuring cup, in a microwave, and then quickly stir in the panko crumbs. Sprinkle over the top of the casserole, and then the reserved cheese if you have it. Bake at 375 degrees for about 25 minutes, until bubbly and golden brown.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:20 PM

19,894 posts, read 18,907,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
My daughter, since the age of seven (she's now 11) prefers this recipe to all others including the blue box:

1 lb. box of preferred pasta (elbows, shells, rotini, etc.)
3 C milk
6 Tbsp Wondra
6 Tbsp + 4 Tbsp butter
1 tsp dry mustard
Cracked black pepper
3 C shredded extra sharp white cheddar
1 C panko crumbs

Cook the pasta as directed on the box and drain (do not rinse). In the same pot, add the milk, Wondra, 6 Tbsp butter, mustard, and pepper. Cook and stir with a whisk on medium heat until bubbling and thickened. Remove from heat, and with a spoon, stir in the cheese one cup at a time. If desired, save about 1/2 C of cheese to sprinkle on top. When the cheese has melted into the sauce, add as much pasta as you wish - I usually have a bit left over, depending on the type of pasta. Melt the 4 Tbsp butter in a Pyrex 2 Cup measuring cup, in a microwave, and then quickly stir in the panko crumbs. Sprinkle over the top of the casserole, and then the reserved cheese if you have it. Bake at 375 degrees for about 25 minutes, until bubbly and golden brown.
That one sounds really wonderful.

The way my mother made it was to cook the elbow macaroni, add a layer to the bowl, add a layer of flour, a layer of chopped up Velveeta, flour, Velveeta, etc. Salt and pepper. Then add milk until there is so much that you can see it from the top. On top she would add buttered cubes of bread.
Bake at 350.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:22 PM

6,547 posts, read 3,105,193 times
Thanks for the recipes, but what is Wondra?

Old 08-04-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Thanks for the recipes, but what is Wondra?
Wondra is a special flour, you can find it in the flour section of most supermarkets. It comes in a round blue cardboard can with a plastic dispenser top. It's great for all sauces and gravies, never lumpy.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:02 PM

12,446 posts, read 10,924,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Wondra is a special flour, you can find it in the flour section of most supermarkets. It comes in a round blue cardboard can with a plastic dispenser top. It's great for all sauces and gravies, never lumpy.
In recipes, it may be called "instant flour", because of the way it has been processed. It doesn't lump because it has already been made into a liquid (using hot water or steam) then dried. I researched this a while back when I encountered a recipe using "instant flour".

Old 08-04-2017, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
In recipes, it may be called "instant flour", because of the way it has been processed. It doesn't lump because it has already been made into a liquid (using hot water or steam) then dried. I researched this a while back when I encountered a recipe using "instant flour".
Quite right! I found this link explaining what Wondra is, and it describes exactly what you stated. It also contains malted barley flour. Now I'm going to mix some into my next batch of waffle batter and see what happens.

What is wondra flour? – Baking Bites

Old 08-05-2017, 08:51 PM

4,196 posts, read 5,256,048 times
I make mine in a large 1950's maybe older Pyrex bowl. The bowls have been around longer than me..

I cook the pasta, normally elbow macaroni.
Butter the bowl and layer, pasta, grated Sharp and regular cheddar, a few blobs of butter..
Repeat until the bowl is full, ending with a scant layer of cheese and top with corn flake crumbs..
Add more butter and about a can and a half of evaporated milk..

Bake at 350 for about an hour until the sides and top are nice and brown and crisp..

I do like a good cheese sauce type also and would like to try the above recipe from DontH8Me..

The way I make it is from Granny so it's a Family favorite..

Old 08-05-2017, 08:58 PM

35,108 posts, read 40,315,638 times
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...eywords=wondra
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...english+cheese

I make my own cheese sauce and use medium shells on the stove top.
1/2 stick real butter
enough Wondra to make a roux
1 can chicken stock
2 jars Old English Cheese

Boil & drain pasta
Melt butter, mix in wondra and make roux
Add chicken stock, stir until thickened a bit
Add Old English Cheese, stir until melted
Add pepper if you want
When thicken and all the cheese is melted add to pasta and mix together well.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:31 PM

939 posts, read 515,511 times
This seemed kind of different.

I don't think I'd like the Worcestershire in the recipe, but I do like the idea of mac and cheese muffins.

Video (starts @ 1:00):

Ringside Mac-n-Cheese Muffins | Food Network

Directions:

Panko Mix

1 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon shredded Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic

Mac and Cheese

1 pound small elbow macaroni
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 2/3 cups milk
1 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
Salt
4 cups packed shredded Gruyere cheese
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1 cup crumbled goat cheese
Nonstick cooking spray, for spraying muffin pans

Place small amount of panko mix into tins, bake 1 min @350*. Spoon in Mac n cheese, top with more panko mix & bake for 10min.

Directions

Special equipment: two 24-cup mini-muffin pans

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

For the panko mix:
Mix the panko, Parmesan, olive oil and garlic together and set aside.

For the mac and cheese:
Cook the macaroni according to the package directions.
Drain and set aside.

Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed medium saucepan over medium heat.

Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute.

Add the milk and whisk constantly until the mixture thickens.

Reduce the heat to low and add the Worcestershire and salt to taste.

Slowly fold in the Gruyere, Cheddar and goat cheese and heat through until all the cheese is melted, about 10 minutes.

Fold the cooked macaroni into the cheese mixture.

Spray mini-muffin pans with nonstick cooking spray and dust with the panko mix.

Put the muffin pans in the oven and bake until the panko is golden brown, about 2 minutes.

Remove the pans and lower the temperature to 350 degrees F.

Carefully fill the cups the rest of the way with the mac and cheese, packing tightly.

Bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes.

Sprinkle the tops with the panko mix and continue baking until the tops are golden brown, about 5 minutes more.

Let the muffins cool before removing them from the pan.

Repeat with the remaining macaroni and cheese and panko mixture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or