U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 09:26 PM

2,895 posts, read 1,635,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
Are you perhaps referring to Chocolate Crinkle Cookies?
https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes...0-27479e76d484
No - these are the same color, but with sugar crystals on top. They're also a lot thinner. But thanks - I WILL try a recipe for those!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2017, 09:27 PM

36,480 posts, read 41,660,628 times
Real Simple's basic sugar cookie dough recipe. It works for cutouts of any kind/season, jam thumbprints, pecan logs, twists, sandwich cookies with various fillings, dipped wafer cookies, glazed, pinwheels, etc. Very versatile, easy dough to work with. I hated doing cutouts until I started using this dough recipe.

I also like the basic Tollhouse recipe with the addition of more salt, which gives them an almost salted caramel quality.

My grandma makes traditional Italian anginetti, the little soft dough "knot" cookies that are traditionally iced with either a lemon or an anise glaze. They are great, but I've never made them. My grandma's not Italian, but all the other grandmas in her neighborhood are, and they have baked together for years.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Never heard of whippersnappers. They look delicious! I love lemon. Which recipe do you use?
My mom told me how to make them, but Lemon Whippersnappers Recipe - Allrecipes.com is almost the same. Do NOT get the cake mix with pudding in it or it won't turn out right.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:50 AM

9,141 posts, read 7,169,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
No - these are the same color, but with sugar crystals on top. They're also a lot thinner. But thanks - I WILL try a recipe for those!!!
Are they really crunchy like ginger snaps? I used to buy those to make chocolate pie crust (like graham cracker pie crust) for grasshopper pie.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Are they really crunchy like ginger snaps? I used to buy those to make chocolate pie crust (like graham cracker pie crust) for grasshopper pie.
No - they're more chewy. I've tried to make them "crispy" but they just end up burned. Then I realized it's because of the cake mix. Well, at least that's all I could think of.

With cookies where I control the ingredients, I can make them chewy or crispy.

Old 09-15-2017, 02:12 AM

3,804 posts, read 1,613,544 times
my go-to is a modified version of the oatmeal cookies from Joy of Cooking. For some reason, their version had milk and baking powder; I've streamlined it a bit, and switched to whole wheat flour and all brown sugar as well. For the nuts and chips, I use whatever I've got on hand

Whole-Grain Oatmeal Cookies
Cream 2 sticks butter
beat in 2 cups brown sugar
beat in 2 eggs, 1 at a time, and
2 tsp vanilla.

In a separate bowl (I use a 4-cup measuring cup), combine
2 cups white whole wheat flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda

Mix dry ingredients into wet, then mix in
2 cups old-fashioned oats
1 cup walnuts (or mac nuts, or almonds...)
1 cup chocolate chips (or raisins, or chopped dates)

Have husband bake at 350F for 12-15 minutes.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:29 AM

9,141 posts, read 7,169,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
my go-to is a modified version of the oatmeal cookies from Joy of Cooking. For some reason, their version had milk and baking powder; I've streamlined it a bit, and switched to whole wheat flour and all brown sugar as well. For the nuts and chips, I use whatever I've got on hand

Whole-Grain Oatmeal Cookies
Cream 2 sticks butter
beat in 2 cups brown sugar
beat in 2 eggs, 1 at a time, and
2 tsp vanilla.

In a separate bowl (I use a 4-cup measuring cup), combine
2 cups white whole wheat flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda

Mix dry ingredients into wet, then mix in
2 cups old-fashioned oats
1 cup walnuts (or mac nuts, or almonds...)
1 cup chocolate chips (or raisins, or chopped dates)

Have husband bake at 350F for 12-15 minutes.
I've been substituting 1/2 whole wheat in the old Quaker recipe. I honestly can't tell the difference. I'll try your recipe next time. First I have to make it to the store to buy more oats.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:32 AM

10,994 posts, read 17,487,206 times
Molasses crinkles

Chocolate chip wth walnuts

Peanut blossoms

Old 09-15-2017, 08:33 AM

10,994 posts, read 17,487,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
Are you perhaps referring to Chocolate Crinkle Cookies?
https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes...0-27479e76d484
Our family called those soccer ball cookies.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:00 AM

13,308 posts, read 21,866,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Oh, cookies! The only one I can think of that I don't care for is fig newtons.

I like the Toll House recipe for chocolate chip cookies but my most prized cookie recipe is my grandma's recipe for oatmeal cookies. It dates back to the 1800s and makes a gazillion. Doesn't matter - they never last long.
Will you share grandma's recipe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or