Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 04:45 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times

Advertisements

Must be the season for these items as the wife bought a 20lb bag of beets and a few dozen leeks ,obviously more than we could ever use but they were on sale
Any recipe ideas for leeks and beets?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 04:49 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
I guess you could use a few thin strips of leeks instead of chives?

Beet Salad with Almonds, Feta cheese and Chives

Ingredients
1 1/2 pounds beets - red, yellow, the candy-striped Chioggia, or a mixture
1/4 cup slivered almonds, roasted
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt or sea salt
2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
A few whole chives for garnish

Directions
Place beets in a medium pot and cover with water. Cover, bring to a boil, and cook 15 to 25 minutes, until a beet is easily pierced with a fork. Drain, let cool, and use a paring knife and fingers to slide off skins.
Dice beets and place in a large salad bowl. Add almonds, olive oil, chives, lemon juice and salt, and toss gently. Sprinkle with feta, lay whole chives across salad as garnish, and serve.

Old 10-04-2017, 05:22 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,099,919 times
Make borscht. If you never tried borscht I promise its good.

5 or 6 beets
1-2 tbsp oil
1 onion
1 garlic clove
1 celery stalk
1 carrot
1 potato
2 cups stock - beef or vegetable
2 tbsp peppercorns
Bunch of dill
Bay leaf
Salt

Boil four or five beets in water with their skins on until you can slide a fork into them. Cool them and peel. I like to puree them with a stick blender but some people just cut them into small pieces.

Heat a tbsp or 2 of oil and cook the finely chopped onion, garlic clove, celery stalk and carrot until they start to soften.

When the onion is golden, add 6 cups water and 2 cups beef stock or vegetable stock if you want vegetarian or you can use all water. Add 2 tbsp black peppercorns, the chopped stems of the dill and a bay leaf or two.

Add one raw cubed beet, one raw potato cut into cubes and 1/2 a cup of chopped green beans.

After all has come to a boil again, add in the cooked beets.

Lower the heat. Add the juice of one lemon and salt to taste.

Sprinkle chopped dill on top. Serve with sour cream. Some like chopped hard boiled egg on top.

Its better the second day.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:56 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Some great soups to be made with leeks

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/f...ek-soup-238442

Various recipes for Vichyssoise (serve cold, hot or room temperature). Many onion soup recipes call for several different kinds of onions, nearly always including leeks.

****-a-Leekie Chicken And Leek Soup) Recipe - Genius Kitchen (sorry the CD censored that link title)

I've had leeks au gratin, leeks in a quiche, leek and potatoe cassarole. I wasn't thrilled with the quiche, but enjoyed the others.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:57 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
OP, Alton Brown from Food Network did an episode with Leeks made into battered rings.
The beets I would slice up and put in a salad raw.

Old 10-04-2017, 08:22 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,099,919 times
If you haven't cooked with leeks before make sure to separate the layers to wash the sand away. It gets stuck in between them.

Old 10-04-2017, 08:28 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
Make borscht. If you never tried borscht I promise its good.

5 or 6 beets
1-2 tbsp oil
1 onion
1 garlic clove
1 celery stalk
1 carrot
1 potato
2 cups stock - beef or vegetable
2 tbsp peppercorns
Bunch of dill
Bay leaf
Salt

Boil four or five beets in water with their skins on until you can slide a fork into them. Cool them and peel. I like to puree them with a stick blender but some people just cut them into small pieces.

Heat a tbsp or 2 of oil and cook the finely chopped onion, garlic clove, celery stalk and carrot until they start to soften.

When the onion is golden, add 6 cups water and 2 cups beef stock or vegetable stock if you want vegetarian or you can use all water. Add 2 tbsp black peppercorns, the chopped stems of the dill and a bay leaf or two.

Add one raw cubed beet, one raw potato cut into cubes and 1/2 a cup of chopped green beans.

After all has come to a boil again, add in the cooked beets.

Lower the heat. Add the juice of one lemon and salt to taste.

Sprinkle chopped dill on top. Serve with sour cream. Some like chopped hard boiled egg on top.

Its better the second day.

I love Borscht in a winter's day! My Mom used to make it with short-ribs and it rocked! Really good with black/rye bread and sweet butter.

Old 10-05-2017, 04:30 AM

1,558 posts, read 1,158,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
If you haven't cooked with leeks before make sure to separate the layers to wash the sand away. It gets stuck in between them.
Yes, very important. Cut in half lengthwise and wash in between each layer.

Here is a good leek casserole recipe -

Sauté 3-4 sliced leeks in olive oil with salt, pepper and one garlic clove. Layer in buttered casserole with grated Swiss cheese and sliced Portuguese bread. Add about two cups milk (with 2-3 eggs beaten into it) Milk/egg mixture should just come up to top layer. Top layer should be cheese and leeks, not bread. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes covered, 20 minutes uncovered. Top with some grated parmesan and brown under broiler at the end if you like.

Old 10-05-2017, 04:34 AM

Of note, I sauté the green parts of the leeks first, then add the white parts after the green parts are about half cooked. The green parts take longer to cook.

Old 10-05-2017, 04:41 AM

Beets are good roasted in the oven. Pre-cook in the microwave so they don't have to roast for so long. Top with blue cheese or Roquefort. Or if you don't want cheese, make a beet salad with sweet and sour dressing. (olive oil, balsamic vinegar and a bit of sugar)

:-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes