U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 06:20 PM

10,392 posts, read 14,230,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Sausage gravy is no different from any other gravy in that you need to create a roux that is basically half flour/half grease/butter/oil.

I don't have a recipe, but I can tell you basically how I make it.

First brown a lb of ground sausage(not Italian sausage). I like mine well done and crispy, but that is a matter of taste. Once it is done, remove from the frying pan with a slotted spatula or spoon leaving the grease. Pour off the grease leaving in the pan a few tablespoons or enough to coat the pan at about an eight of an inch depth. Reduce heat to medium or medium high.

Add a couple of thick slices of butter, up to 2 TBSPS.

Add about two heaping TBPS (I usually use soup spoons from flatware, so not entirely sure of measurement) of all purpose flour. Add it gradually sprinkling across the pan. Scrape and stir to create a roux.

Cook gradually for a few minutes to get rid of the raw flour taste.

Add milk slowly up to a cup or two. Add salt and pepper across the pan or to taste.

By now you should have gravy. If desired add a tsp or two of the original sausage grease back in for flavor and stir thoroughly.

If the gravy is too thick, add more milk/salt/pepper. If its too thin, take some of the hot liquid and shake with more flour/salt/pepper and add back in.

Add the sausage back in to the gravy.
I skip a step, I don't take the sausage from the pan but I sprinkle enough flour to lightly coat the sausage after draining it. So easy and always lump free. No butter either, but I might give that a try now that you've mentioned it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 06:32 PM

3,845 posts, read 9,415,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I use this recipe by Alton Brown. Easy and very good.

Alton Brown's Southern Style 'Biscuits & Gravy' Recipe
I love Alton Brown! I forgot to mention that I chill the butter in the freezer first. Using cold butter and cold buttermilk keep the fat intact which is important for that flaky effect. Interesting that he folds the dough 5 or 6 times - that's more than I've done but the more the better I guess.

Old 10-17-2017, 03:33 PM

17,470 posts, read 20,829,413 times
Thanks everyone. I plan to make these soon and my DH offered to help make the biscuits. (shocked) LOL.

Old 10-19-2017, 02:03 AM

12,448 posts, read 10,840,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Don't care for them. They are just loaded with empty calories with no nutritional value...
Yeah, well some of us appreciate an exceptional biscuit. We just had some wonderful biscuits at Callie's Charleston Biscuits.

Old 10-19-2017, 04:52 PM

36,973 posts, read 45,404,903 times
I choose to buy frozen biscuits and I think they’re good.
Gravy:
1# Jimmy Dean Original sausage
3T flour
3 cups milk

Sauté the sausage, low and slow, until browned and there is plenty of fat and fond in the pan. Stir in the flour, add cold milk and stir over med. heat until thickened.
Voila.

Old 10-19-2017, 04:54 PM

36,973 posts, read 45,404,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I love Alton Brown! I forgot to mention that I chill the butter in the freezer first. Using cold butter and cold buttermilk keep the fat intact which is important for that flaky effect. Interesting that he folds the dough 5 or 6 times - that's more than I've done but the more the better I guess.
Ok if you want to stand on your head to make a simple biscuit. Alton Brown is a jerk.

Old 10-19-2017, 05:00 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,840,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I choose to buy frozen biscuits and I think they’re good...
I can't say anything bad about frozen biscuits. I'll pick up a bag of those hockey pucks on occasion, and they turn out perfectly flaky.

Now, the best biscuit I have EVER eaten is a fresh Callie's buttermilk biscuit (I mentioned them in a previous post). We were in Charleston this past weekend, and we each had one of those big, fluffy, flaky, tender biscuits. The biscuits contain cream cheese AND butter...

Callie's Buttermilk Biscuit Recipe

Old 10-28-2018, 11:44 AM

4,919 posts, read 7,846,278 times
I can't believe no one mentioned adding chicken base to the sausage gravy!

My mother gets raves for her biscuits and gravy, and chicken base is her secret ingredient. She passed the recipe down to me. To be honest, she and I usually use Mary B's (or Pillsbury) frozen biscuits, they truly taste almost homemade. I put my biscuits under the broiler for a minute or so after they are baked because I like very "crunchy" tops on my biscuits to support the gravy.

The gravy recipe is:

HOT flavor JIMMY DEANS sausage, or any other good quality sausage. To us, the mild flavor is too bland, but whichever you prefer is fine.

Brown the sausage completely over medium heat, once browned, drain all but a little of the drippings (about a teaspoon).

Add about a tablespoon of butter to the sausage and let it melt.

Slowly stir about 1/4 cup of all purpose flour, stirring the flour into the sausage and melted butter, until the flour is browned and bubbling.

Whisk in about 2 cups of whole milk, or for richer gravy, 1 cup of whole milk and 1 cup Half and Half.

Begin stirring frequently, while you add to the frying pan:

- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder

- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder

- 1 heaping tablespoon Chicken Base (powdered or Better than Bullion) THIS IS THE FLAVOR SECRET!

Continue to stir very frequently while gravy thickens, add more milk or Half and Half if a thinner consistency is desired. Gravy will also thicken somewhat once removed from the heat.

Once gravy starts to thicken up some, add coarse or freshly ground black pepper to taste. I also add a sprinkle of parsley flakes for color.

IMPORTANT: DO NOT ADD SALT TO THIS. The chicken base is already very salty.

Definitely not low cal, but a comforting indulgence every now and then.

Enjoy!

Old 10-28-2018, 12:13 PM

4,644 posts, read 3,968,925 times
I rarely take the time to make a laminated biscuit & instead use Pillsbury refrigerator ones. For a sausage gravy, I cook the sausage patty or link & remove to warm oven...then add bacon grease to pan of sausage grease remains & flour & ground seasalt & pepper, cook flour, then whisk in half 'n half...add few pieces of cooked sausage pour over split biscuits with sausage on side.

If I don't have any saved bacon grease (I put cooled solidified bacon grease in freezer ziplock & freeze for later), I just add butter to sausage remains to get enough oil to make roux.

If serving with breakfast ham, I use coffee for the liquid for my version of red eye gravy. At cow camp I've watched the cook use canned sego milk with good results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or