Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 09:26 AM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times

Advertisements

Attention southern cooks: I'd like a recipe for homemade buttermilk biscuits and a homemade recipe for the cream sausage gravy. I'd like to make certain dishes from scratch when possible because I am trying to avoid all of the processed crap that is in foods. I have made the gravy from scratch but never the biscuits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2017, 10:25 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Don't care for them. They are just loaded with empty calories with no nutritional value.
You might want to try this. Seems to be a bit lighter version:
Recipes For My Boys: Tall and Fluffy Biscuits Made From Scratch

Old 10-15-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Don't care for them. They are just loaded with empty calories with no nutritional value.
You might want to try this. Seems to be a bit lighter version:
Recipes For My Boys: Tall and Fluffy Biscuits Made From Scratch
Thanks, sounds east and not too fattening.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:44 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times
Sausage gravy is no different from any other gravy in that you need to create a roux that is basically half flour/half grease/butter/oil.

I don't have a recipe, but I can tell you basically how I make it.

First brown a lb of ground sausage(not Italian sausage). I like mine well done and crispy, but that is a matter of taste. Once it is done, remove from the frying pan with a slotted spatula or spoon leaving the grease. Pour off the grease leaving in the pan a few tablespoons or enough to coat the pan at about an eight of an inch depth. Reduce heat to medium or medium high.

Add a couple of thick slices of butter, up to 2 TBSPS.

Add about two heaping TBPS (I usually use soup spoons from flatware, so not entirely sure of measurement) of all purpose flour. Add it gradually sprinkling across the pan. Scrape and stir to create a roux.

Cook gradually for a few minutes to get rid of the raw flour taste.

Add milk slowly up to a cup or two. Add salt and pepper across the pan or to taste.

By now you should have gravy. If desired add a tsp or two of the original sausage grease back in for flavor and stir thoroughly.

If the gravy is too thick, add more milk/salt/pepper. If its too thin, take some of the hot liquid and shake with more flour/salt/pepper and add back in.

Add the sausage back in to the gravy.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Sausage gravy is no different from any other gravy in that you need to create a roux that is basically half flour/half grease/butter/oil.

I don't have a recipe, but I can tell you basically how I make it.

First brown a lb of ground sausage(not Italian sausage). I like mine well done and crispy, but that is a matter of taste. Once it is done, remove from the frying pan with a slotted spatula or spoon leaving the grease. Pour off the grease leaving in the pan a few tablespoons or enough to coat the pan at about an eight of an inch depth. Reduce heat to medium or medium high.

Add a couple of thick slices of butter, up to 2 TBSPS.

Add about two heaping TBPS (I usually use soup spoons from flatware, so not entirely sure of measurement) of all purpose flour. Add it gradually sprinkling across the pan. Scrape and stir to create a roux.

Cook gradually for a few minutes to get rid of the raw flour taste.

Add milk slowly up to a cup or two. Add salt and pepper across the pan or to taste.

By now you should have gravy. If desired add a tsp or two of the original sausage grease back in for flavor and stir thoroughly.

If the gravy is too thick, add more milk/salt/pepper. If its too thin, take some of the hot liquid and shake with more flour/salt/pepper and add back in.

Add the sausage back in to the gravy.
Thanks, I know how to make the gravy just not the biscuits from scratch.

Old 10-15-2017, 09:13 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Thanks, I know how to make the gravy just not the biscuits from scratch.
OK cool, but did you not post requesting a recipe for the gravy? confused.

Old 10-16-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
OK cool, but did you not post requesting a recipe for the gravy? confused.
yeah I did I meant to say scratch biscuits.

Old 10-16-2017, 04:10 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Attention southern cooks: I'd like a recipe for homemade buttermilk biscuits and a homemade recipe for the cream sausage gravy. I'd like to make certain dishes from scratch when possible because I am trying to avoid all of the processed crap that is in foods. I have made the gravy from scratch but never the biscuits.
I use this recipe by Alton Brown. Easy and very good.

Alton Brown's Southern Style 'Biscuits & Gravy' Recipe

Old 10-16-2017, 04:17 PM

4,602 posts, read 6,364,058 times
Go to food.com (now geniuskitchen.com), search southern buttermilk biscuits....pick one....like this one
With food.com, there is no longer a need for cookbooks.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 10-16-2017, 06:02 PM

5,867 posts, read 11,926,362 times
Biscuits are more about technique than the ingredients. You can google any number of recipes but after years of experimenting here is what I have found. If you use buttermilk, use a recipe that calls for both baking powder and baking soda. You have to cut the butter (or whatever fat you use) into the flour mixture first using a pastry blender, a fork or your hands. You should have a slightly crumbly mixture with small chunks of the fat. Add the liquid until you have a mostly wet batter, but dry enough that you can turn it onto a floured board or smooth surface. Don't overwork the dough or your biscuits will be tough. I flatten mine out and then fold it over twice to make layers. Flatten it to about one inch. Cut the biscuits using a cutter or the rim of a glass with a bit of flour on it. I bake mine in a cast iron skillet that has been greased with the biscuits touching each other but not too crowded.

If you're not too picky about how they look, you can use the drop biscuit method which reduces the handling of the dough. The drier the dough, the drier the biscuits will be so regardless of the recipe, make sure you have enough liquid. It's better to have a wetter batter and use extra flour when shaping the biscuits. Cook at a high temperature - about 425 should work.

It took me a lot of tries before I got them how I like them, light and fluffy. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes